My Car Insurer - a big compliment

Gardian

Now, living in France as most of us on here do, we’re accustomed to apparently simple things proving fiendishly difficult to get done. The bigger the organisation, the worse it often is !

Anyway, I’ve just had another excellent experience with my car insurer which I felt worth mentioning on here.

Mrs G and I were away over Easter and our car was parked in the underground hotel car park.  When I went to get it, I succeeded in giving it a really nasty scrape down the side of the car from the concrete pillar.  The spaces were tight, but that’s not an excuse - it was entirely my fault.  The damage is essentially cosmetic, but significant - probably €2k I’d guess.

On our return home, I logged on to our insurer’s website and declared the ‘prang’.  The system asked me when somebody could ring and I said anytime from 10.00 tomorrow.  At 10.20 the following day I was called by a very friendly and efficient agent.  She asked for some basic details and said that it was all fine, that our ‘all risks’ policy took care of everything and that there’d be no excess to pay.

She asked if I had a carrosserie place in mind and I mentioned the one in our local town where our car had been fixed 5 years ago.  “That’s fine” she said, “we work with them”.

I received an SMS within an hour with all the details logged, including her name and direct number.  When I took the car to the carrosserie this morning, they said that they too had received the dossier.  Photos duly taken and agreement to call me when they’d be able to undertake the repair.

It was all completely painless and accordingly impressive.   BTW, I completely understand that I’ll lose a dollop of my no claims bonus, so it won’t be entirely cost free, but better than a €500 (or worse) excess.

Congratulations. I gave up on fully comp insurance years ago after driving our new car to the supermarket. On coming out of the shop I discovered that some bar steward had driven between the spaces rather than around them and ripped off the rear bumper, probably with a trailer. We duly put in a claim and our insurance said it was up to us to prove the damage wasn't self inflicted. If we didn't accept at least 50% of the blame they would blacklist us. Rather than moving insurance to another company that could be just as ruthless, we downgraded the insurance to the bare minimum plus windscreen. Nowadays I'm happy driving tatty cars with low premiums. Scrub that, I'm just happier driving tatty cars😁

How dare you AB ???!!!

Well I had been, but the previous evening.   

You hear the first ‘graunch’, and you then know that there’ll be a 2nd horrible noise as you try to extricate yourself.

Far from being my ‘finest hour’, but a few people today ‘made my day’.