Confirmation of residency and UK liability

Keith

Hello everybody,

We have just sold our french house and the notaire has withheld money because of capital gains until we get a certificate of "Confirmation of residency and UK liability" from HMRC.

Does anybody know where and how to get one of the certificates?

Many thanks

Actually, some years ago, when I sold a house, it was assessed for French capital gains (nil, because I had owned it for long enough), and then by HMRC - and I had to pay capital gains tax in the U.K. This last was mitigated a great deal by my being able to provide HMRC with sheafs of receipts from French builder/plumber/carpenter etc relating to the extensive work we had done on the house to make it habitable. So hopefully you have some of those to reduce any apparent gains.

Well indeed Loiseau.

I mean ........ if the notaire has said that you need ‘whatever’ from HMRC, then surely that’s where you need to go?

Maybe searching on the document you quoted will get you more directly to the people there that you need, but it’s predictable that it’ll be a bit of a nightmare.

9 minutes ago, Loiseau said:

Actually, some years ago, when I sold a house, it was assessed for French capital gains (nil, because I had owned it for long enough), and then by HMRC - and I had to pay capital gains tax in the U.K. This last was mitigated a great deal by my being able to provide HMRC with sheafs of receipts from French builder/plumber/carpenter etc relating to the extensive work we had done on the house to make it habitable. So hopefully you have some of those to reduce any apparent gains.

Maybe that was before the double taxation convention came into force?