Amazon.co.uk will not accept payment from UK issued Visa cards from January 2022.

Harnser

This probably does not affect that many French residents, but it's as well to be aware.

"As a result of Visa's continued high cost of payments, we regret that Amazon.co.uk will no longer accept UK-issued Visa credit cards as of 19 January, 2022," an Amazon spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/amazon-stop-accepting-visa-credit-cards-issued-uk-bloomberg-news-2021-11-17/

I think that the fact that Amazon are promoting their own credit card may have something to do with the change of conditions, or of course it's a negotiation ploy to get the charges down, as Amazon obviously are not earning enough.  ? They could save money on packaging, I ordered a new paper shredder it arrived in the normal Amazon box, when I opened it I found the Shredder, in its original box, also an Amazon one.

5 hours ago, NickP said:

I think that the fact that Amazon are promoting their own credit card may have something to do with the change of conditions, or of course it's a negotiation ploy to get the charges down, as Amazon obviously are not earning enough.  ? They could save money on packaging, I ordered a new paper shredder it arrived in the normal Amazon box, when I opened it I found the Shredder, in its original box, also an Amazon one.

I think that has more to do with hiding the contents from potential thieves during transit - what the eye doesn't see it doesn't covet etc.

7 hours ago, betise said:

But they say that they will still accept Visa debit cards, which is probably what most Visa cardholders would use.

Maybe, but I still retain a Visa credit card to be able to occasionally purchase items from the UK and benefit from Section 75 protection. 

10 hours ago, Harnser said:

I think that has more to do with hiding the contents from potential thieves during transit - what the eye doesn't see it doesn't covet etc.

I have ordered computer parts and yesterday a new coffee machine arrived.  All these have been despatched in the manufactures box with just my address label stuck on.  Completely obvious what was in the boxes.

Amazon used to allow (well for Prime anyway) the customer to comment on the size of the packaging etc.  I left several photos of small items in large boxes.  That service is no longer available.

11 hours ago, Harnser said:

Good call, but I looked at the original box, it's just Amazon, nothing to say what the contents are. Oh only other information on the outside of the original box, of course Made in China. Whether that's the box or the contents who knows.?