House contents insurance

Mrs Trellis

When the laptop was ruined by accident I went to my insurance agent. As I suspected, computers are not covered for accidental damage. I was surprised to be told nothing is! Apparently we are only insured if we can blame someone - e.g. theft, if reported to the police. Any other loss or damage is not covered. And if we should accidentally leave the house unlocked, we are not insured for theft. As OH says, we aren't insured for much. I haven't tried to compare with UK premiums but French ones should be way cheaper as they won't get many fraudulent claims,.

Well we are covered for accidental damage, vandalism,theft and breakdown and for computers too. Sounds like you did not take out enough insurance to tailor to your needs originally because you have to ask for it. We are also covered along with juridique etc, insurance for our cats and dog should they cause an accident or do damage to a third party. I suggest you change insurers.

When we first insured our French car I thought it was very expensive - but it hasn't increased in 4 years, whereas in the UK my daughter's is up over 40% and is now considerably more than ours - she has car tax on top. And when we moved from an English provider for House and Contents to Credit Agricole's package (included new for old, accidental damage etc.) we saved 30% on our premium,

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]When the laptop was ruined by accident I went to my insurance agent. As I suspected, computers are not covered for accidental damage. I was surprised to be told nothing is! Apparently we are only insured if we can blame someone - e.g. theft, if reported to the police. Any other loss or damage is not covered. And if we should accidentally leave the house unlocked, we are not insured for theft. As OH says, we aren't insured for much. I haven't tried to compare with UK premiums but French ones should be way cheaper as they won't get many fraudulent claims,.[/quote]

We had exactly the same response from our insurance agent regarding my old laptop - if it had happened in someone else's house then we could claim from their insurance! I also checked recently whether I could claim for my glasses that the dog chewed up, but glasses (specs) aren't covered and I started checking what is.  It looks as though we need to revise our cover as I'm not at all sure about jewellery (not that I have a lot!) and stamps are another thing not covered and my husband has quite a valuable collection. However our dogs and the donkeys are covered if they cause a problem.[:)]

It isn't a second home and the agent did not say we have the wrong cover, just that accidental damage insurance wasn't available in France. I was thinking of changing anyway - must remember to give 2 months' notice! It's handy to have a local agent and this one is less than a minute away (but only on 2 afternoons a week).

Can anyone recommend their insurer?

I don't think that I knew of accidental damage cover before I moved to France and never had it in France and still don't take now I have been back in the UK either. Why do you need it as I don't think that I do.

The way I look at it is that if I break something I repair it or replace it, and if an insurance company started having to fork out, then they would up my premiums and I would end up paying in the long run.

I seem to think that the Credit Agricole did just this, but you'd have to ask them about it. 

I have accidental damage and theft cover for my trombone; yes, I could just replace it if something happened... if I could afford it, but at a list price (new) of over £4000 I'd be stupid not to insure it. As far as I can see from our house policy it's no different to the "all-risks" cover for specifed (has to be recorded, serial numbers etc) items that we had in UK. The additional cover for this item costs around 70€ per year, as far as I remember, on top of the normal premium for the house/buildings.

If you take the view that you're going to replace/repair things yourself where do you draw the line? You may as well dispense with insurance altogether. Then someone gets seriously injured on your property as a result of an accident; who pays?

We have musical instruments insured for theft and for taking them out of the house, but damage, nope, we both feel that if we cannot look after instruments, then that is down to us.

I suppose that it is how one looks at things really.

[quote user="Chancer"]As someone that has dispensed with all insurance but for my legal obligations the answer to your question is "me if it was due to my negligence"[/quote]That is fine except in the case where someone gets injured as a result of your negligence( I know it's unlikely but could happen). They might well be awarded substantial damages that you might not be able to pay since you don't have the requisite insurance. Who then compensates the unfortunate? the taxpayer?

[quote user="idun"]

I don't think that I knew of accidental damage cover before I moved to France and never had it in France and still don't take now I have been back in the UK either. Why do you need it as I don't think that I do.

The way I look at it is that if I break something I repair it or replace it, and if an insurance company started having to fork out, then they would up my premiums and I would end up paying in the long run.

I seem to think that the Credit Agricole did just this, but you'd have to ask them about it. 

[/quote]

Mainly I agree with you, id.  We've never claimed off any house contents insurance.  If it's bit of damage due to, say, a leaking pipe or tap, then we have just got on and replaced/repaired it ourselves.

I have a very expensive, hand-built piano and OH has an even more expensive violin but the premiums for insuring  them are so high that we have never bothered.

We look after our belongs and, touch wood, we've never had anything untoward happen.

I also have some seriously expensive but irreplaceable jewellery (some from my grandmother) and I don't see much point in having each piece valued (at some cost) and insured.  They are irreplaceable because no one makes that sort of baubles anymore.

I gave the bulk of the most costly pieces to my sister the last time she came to visit as I no longer wanted the responsibility for keeping them.

I don't consider that I have anything that I'd lose sleep over if they got damaged or stolen (apart from the musical instruments).

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Chancer"]As someone that has dispensed with all insurance but for my legal obligations the answer to your question is "me if it was due to my negligence"[/quote]That is fine except in the case where someone gets injured as a result of your negligence( I know it's unlikely but could happen). They might well be awarded substantial damages that you might not be able to pay since you don't have the requisite insurance. Who then compensates the unfortunate? the taxpayer?[/quote]

But Chancer mentioned his legal obligations, so he would have to take that and so be covered as in France we have to have third party cover.

• 4 weeks later...
It's all very well to say you are careful with things. So am I generally, but accidents can happen and some things are expensive to replace. That is why people insure. Do you have only 3rd party motor insurance because you are a careful driver?

Back to my question! Does anyone resident in France have a more useful insurance policy than the one I had? e.g. cover for loss, damage etc. If I am only insured for theft, the premium is quite high. I hate the UK culture of fraudulent claims which presumable increase the premiums for everyone else! But would like better cover than we currently have in France.

Slight thread drift - as I cannot be sure what we are insured for without looking, but when we insured this house last year - we changed to an English agent (ie worked for years in the English insurance industry, but now working in France for a French company), who told us that no matter what you are insured for, without receipts to back the purchase up you would not stand any chance of a claim being paid.  It is thus useless to think the French policies are comparable to English ones. 

Since much of our stuff is handed on, left behind my previous owners, or so old we don't have receipts, we went for a minimum of contents cover, and as the insurances seem to come in "packages" of certain prices, there was not a lot of choice anyway!

But the comment about receipts etc is well worth knowing ... no matter what your thoughts on insurance are - and might save you some money as well.