10€ banknotes not accepted

Daktari

Another summer visitor yesterday, and today my wife, both had the embarrassing experience of having their 10€ banknotes rejected by a local Intermarche store.

They were identified by the cashier as being subtly different from the norm - the only obvious difference being the signature.

Further internet research has indicated that they are German, rather than French 10€ notes (the serial numbers begin with X rather than U.

I'm sure that if forum readers look at notes in your possession you are likely to find some with serial numbers commencing with letters other than U. My question is, does the supermarket have a right to reject otherwise legal tender on the basis that it originated in another eurozone nation?

If it does, the demise of the eurozone is more imminent than I had realised!

We often come back from Spain with "foreign" notes and have no problem using them here in France. They have different pictures on them though, and surely this would be the case with German notes, pictures of German landmarks etc? So, the signature would not be the only difference?

I thought the whole idea was that the currency is common throughtout the EU ?

Anyway, I've got an updated address for you to send the illegal notes to, here in Deux-Sevres, PM me for details!  [Www]

[quote user="sweet 17"]When we were in the UK, we'd sometimes get Scottish banknotes which were refused by some retailers but the bank would always take them.[/quote]I'm not surprised Sweets, technically Scottish bank notes are not even legal tender in Scotland !

Something else for Salmond and his band of independence SNP nutters to think about [:P]

This has been going on for a long time . Some months ago newspapers reported people not accepting Euro notes printed in Greece...... As my old mum used to say    "There is nowt so queer as  folk "   It just shows how jumpy some people are over the Euro at the moment .

Hadn't someone commented on here last year, or maybe the year before that the germans only wanted 'german' euro notes and coins?

I would never have dreamt of looking at the 'provenance' of the euro notes, but maybe I should.

[quote user="Frederick"]  Just looked at the Euro notes I have at the moment     They are  S.X .U. and N ..... Havent a clue where they were printed and dont care  they will still get spent !

[/quote]

I didn't care where they originated either ... until my wife was singled out as attempting to pass a dud note by proffering a German 10€ note in a French supermarket! It wasn't as though it was Greek ... or Irish!

Despite what has been said on here, the designs on the notes are not country sepecific. The only difference is the country code letter, this being the country whose central bank commissioned its printing.

So there is some strength to the view that a particular country is responsible for the value of notes it has issued. A view shared by John Redwood.

The signature is that of the ECB president at the time of printing. Nothing to do with the country originating the note.

http://www.ecb.int/euro/banknotes/html/index.en.html

I think I'll print this out in the french version to take with me to the supermarket.

[quote user="NormanH"]They are not valid and you should send all such 10€ notes in your possession to

NormanH

Escro

13, Boulevard de l'Arnaque

34800 TroudecQ sur Mer

[/quote]

[quote user="sid"]I've got an updated address for you to send the illegal notes to, here in Deux-Sevres, PM me for details!  [Www][/quote]

Daktari,

No need to contact NormanH or sid. They are well-known on the forum for the pranks they play on new forum members! [:P]

As a Mod (and a French person), I feel it's my responsibility to offer help and assistance.

[I]In this instance, please send the 10€ notes directly to me and I'll look into the problem on your behalf.

[quote user="John Brown"]None of the architechure featured on any of the Euro notes is of a real place
All the proposals from member states on what to use could not be agreed on so it was decided to use mythical images
Was that an omen that it would never going to work ?[/quote]

Really? I'm looking at a 5€ note here with what looks very much like the Pont du Gard on the back.

EDIT Having now looked at the link supplied by Nomoss I see that the backs of the notes show stylised bridges symbolising communication between the EU countries and the rest of the world! Well, you live and learn. Thanks for the link Nomoss!

[quote]No need to contact NormanH or sid. They are well-known on the forum for the pranks they play on new forum members! [:P]

As a Mod (and a French person), I feel it's my responsibility to offer help and assistance.

[I]In this instance, please send the 10€ notes directly to me and I'll look into the problem on your behalf.[/quote]

Thank you Clare - I've really appreciated how ready members of the forum are to help.

I've found 2 of the German 10€ notes - if any of the helpful members would care to send me 21€ (french!) to cover P&P I'd be very happy to take up their kind offer :-)

As I see it a Euro is a Euro is a Euro and even if Greece/Eire/Portugal were to quit the common currency I don't think the remaining Euro states or the ECB would make too much

effort to withdraw the national notes from circulation and maybe would

just filter them out as and when they physically entered the banking

system.

Yes, the link provided by Nomoss is very interesting

I hadn't seen it before I made my earlier comments.

I was going off my memory ( whats left of it ) of the early plans to have iconic people from Europe's history on one side and artistic line drawings of famous landmarks on the back.

Maybe they couldn't find enough iconic people who had no "previous"

made near Meaux.

Isn't breizh from round there ?

Presumable breizh can give account for himself ... but on the basis that Breizh is Breton for Brittany it seems as improbable that he would hail from Meaux as a French President being called Hollande - although a precedent was set by a 19th C British PM (D'Israeli)

[quote user="Daktari"]made near Meaux.

Isn't breizh from round there ?

Presumable breizh can give account for himself ... but on the basis that Breizh is Breton for Brittany it seems as improbable that he would hail from Meaux as a French President being called Hollande - although a precedent was set by a 19th C British PM (D'Israeli)[/quote]

I shall never be able to think of Queen Victoria's favourite Prime Minister in the same way again [:)] Very clever, Daktari (but I can't work out what Daktari means?)[8-)]