wow what a storm!

Who experienced the electric storm yesterday afternoon/evening? I could hear the thunder rumbling for about an hour before any clouds came over. The lightening was amazing ,it was lighting up in one place , thundering and at the sametime lightening in another. Had to switch off the computer as the voltage seemed to be dipping , the lights in the living room were like blackpool illuminations, all this at about 4pm. Loads of welcome rain and everywhere is dry again this morning . It forcasts another fine sunny day.

Mrs O

"Had to switch off the computer as the voltage seemed to be dipping , the lights in the living room were like blackpool illuminations"

I love storms like this - didn't see it as I'm not in that part of France. When we get storms of that intensity EVERYTHING get turned off and unplugged and the mains unit coming into the house is switched of. A couple of years ago we lost a lot of gear through a lightning strike on the pylon in the garden.

Had lots of nice thunder and bits of lightening, but only a little bit of rain (here in Bedoin 84 Vaucluse).  Guests said they had driven up to the top of Mt. Ventoux round 3 pm Sunday and it was really stormy up there.

Had to reset all the clocks this morning.

• 2 weeks later...
There are some real whimps posting from around Perpignan!! I'm not naming any names - but just try a few nights around Quillan! The wind is strong enough to blow-off your pyjamas, and the thunder loud enough to make you jump out of your skin. It's a sight to frighten away the moles after sun-down, I can tell you. And I haven't even mentioned having to go to bed under sheets of lightening. I was once convinced that the weather was always kind to southern France. I know better now. Every day the meteo folk have been telling us how unusual it has been. I might start selling hot water bottles in the market.

Whimp! Whimp! I am not the one running back to the UK desperate to get the central heating radiators working at the first hint that the leaves are changing colour

As for blowing off your pyjamas...now whose a whimp, best change the diet too

Storm forgotten for now old boy/girl, no hiding under the covers from lightening yesterday....lounging on the terrace with not much on

Mrs O

You always play dirty Opas. Just because we don't all live in the warm all the time with permanent views of the Med. And anyway, my mum always said only rude people don't wear jimjams! Back here, it only takes one night of careless dressing and you wake up with your mobile bits covered with rust.

Re, The wind is strong enough to blow-off your pyjamas

And there was me thinking it would be safer in France 'cos we don't eat so many beans and stuffing (not in the same meal of course)! Although I was slightly perturbed to see that Brussel Sprouts are now becoming more available!!!!!! 

I hear it's been raining today   I'm just hoping the sun'll start shining again VERY soon - as in TOMORROW!! Yippee

Terry (and Jo)

I like a good storm too and nice to see that the SE have a good sense of humour. 

We live in Turkey where there is 300 days of continuous sunshine, then comes autumn with it's fabulous storms, sheet lightening and rolling thunder.

Moving to the SW France before the end of the year, I hope they have a sense of humour too. 

Another superb storm last night, woke up about 2 am to the sound of the rain, the street was like a river and the thunder was rolling in loud and followed very quickly by ligtening. Expected to see the house leaking this morning from the terrace.....but nope ,all dry!  It is very warm this morning and can`t see the sea or the chateau which is only about 1 mile away on high ground.

Do not think we will be shouting drought for a while as according to the weather report yesterday we had as much rain in one hour as would be normal for one day.

Mrs O

Here in the Lot near Cahors we seem to have a micro climate. During last July and August we clocked temps of nearly 50 on our terrace most afternoons,35 last week. We havent seen any rain since April, storms during the summer produced thunder and lightning but no rain, one evening the sky was purple. Weather forecast has said rain almost every week for the last month but we have only had a few spots. Very windy for last couple of days and come to think of it it has been an unusually windy year.

Still watering the plants, hasten to say with dishwater.

Jan

Lost in the hot Lot

Jan, it was like that on our terrace back in August. Temperatures up in the 40's some days, very strong gusts in the afternoons, and very heavy rain and storms sometimes at night.

I've noticed that wherever we go, the 'locals' tell us the weather is unusual for the season, the time of year, or the time of day. That drives me crazy. Is there any such thing as 'normal' anywhere these days - apart from the seemingly permanent dull of the UK? I just want to get back to Quillan. Even after only 6 months there earlier this year, we think of it as where we belong.

Piprob

I live about 20k from Quillan and can tell you that the weather over the whole year has been different for the last three years.

Summers very hot or not. Some spring months very nice one year and not the next. Some winters cold and wet with a bit of snow that disappears in a couple of days, except for last winter when the snow hung around for weeks!

Trying to read any pattern into it now is very difficult I think.

Thanks for that Ian. We're out again in a couple of days and really do hope the skies will be clear. Its only after returning to the UK after some months that I have fully understood how different the quality of the light is. I could managed without my glasses in Quillan, but they're on most of the time back here.

you obviously have not been looking at the weather forcast Mr and Mrs Piprob....snow storms for your neck of the woods for Monday night Tuesday Morning, so you will probably have to walk from Perpignan , which by the way will be having 21 degrees

Mrs O