Going walkabout in Pyrenees Orientales?

Anyone know some of the wilder areas of the Pyrenees Orientales? I fancy tabbing out and bivvying for a jot.

Also, does anyone know of expected temperature variations between 0 - 100m and up to 1000m altitude?

Last thing...anyone living fairly remotely in the area where I could leave my truck safely for up to a week?

Thanks, Chris

Eddie went walking in the Pyrenees from Bagnuls to just above Foix in 2002, around June time. He took 10 days over it. He found it very strenuous in comparison with walking in Scotland which we were used to, so he had some scary experiences.  Distances greater, heights greater. Easy to get lost so you need good maps and a compass etc. Another problem was drinking water as he needed to carry a lot, and food. But there were some great shelters/bothies and occasional places to stock up on food. He hasn't done it again, only day walks, but did have the idea of hiring a donkey to carry his gear.

Different terrains can have different demands on the body; if time isn't an issue then you can pick a pace to suit you. Liquid intake wont be as high this time of year and sourcing it in regions like the Pyrenees isn't a problem; but like you say Pat, carrying enough grub for 4000ish calories a day if you don,t want to touch on "civilisation" can be a bit of a bind. Weeny gps units are great for getting you back to where you started if you just want to wander out and navigate by sense: I was thinking of setting off around the Bagnuls area...I just need to secure my vehicle:

Thanks for the link Kathy; it looks to be a beatiful region:

We found a place that hires out donkeys to accompany on walks and carry gear etc. It was in the Haute Pyrenees but I'm sure there are others. I've still got the leaflet somewhere. We used to go backpacking with our children. Started in the Peak District, then the Lakes, then the Scottish Highlands. But Katie you could go backpacking in Wales - there's some lovely countryside there. You do need a lot of gear/ equipment though.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Anyone know some of the wilder areas of the Pyrenees Orientales? I fancy tabbing out and bivvying for a jot. [/quote]

My son has just returned from a walking holiday in the Pyrenees - don't know if it was wild or not but he walks/camps regularly in the UK at the w/e's around Sheffield, where he lives. This is a link he sent me to look into - possibly cos I can still read Spanish although speaking is not so hot -

http://www.inazio.com/01d20894ad125da10/01d208947f12c1901/index.html

and then there are these links in English

http://www.climbcatalunya.com/classic.php

http://kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/templeoftufa.htm

Sue

A few days spent with someone who knows what they're doing JK will be worth a few months of reading:

Start gently and build from there. There are folk in your area who know their stuff:

You can travel very lightly but with experience, clothing; tenting and navigational technology has come a long way in recent years, you just don't need to lug large loads around unless you're going into extremes.

You've got me wanting to jump into my truck now JK! It's great being single again!