ATM Charges from CA

CeeJay

Checking out my bank statement from CA and noticed quite a few debit payments for 1€ which seemed to be ATM charges. Upon checking with the bank it seems that CA allow only 4 withdrawls from other bank's ATM's per month, thereafter each withdrawl is charged at 1€, irrespective if the host bank itself charges or not.

This I did not see in the small print!!!

Another point to Chancer in his critique of French bank cards.

I believe this was introduced fairly recently, as I remember using the many ATMs sprinkled round our town indiscriminately at one time, but now there  something in the back of my head that tells me to be careful, so I must have read it at some point.

I'm pretty sure that years ago, I would have been charged or they kept threatening to do just that. As we have always paid far too much for our french cards, I would have objected to them getting more money out of us.

In consequence, I usually get money from my own bank's cash machine.

I've got the list of charges for 2013 for CA Britline customers; the charge for withdrawing from a non-CA ATM is 0.80€ as from the 6th withdrawal of the month.

Britline customers don't have a local branch as it's an online service but they can use any CA machine.

Useful to know with CA is, if your card does not work in the ATM the Bank there will issue you with a card, which the ATM keeps when you use it, to draw cash. They didn't ask for ID ? and it was not my normal bank but did check the account had enough money in it before handing over the single use card.

Due to a misunderstanding I was given a card for 400 euro when I was actually asking to withdraw 40 euro so it appears to be quite flexible

John

[quote user="CeeJay"]Checking out my bank statement from CA and noticed quite a few debit payments for 1€ which seemed to be ATM charges. Upon checking with the bank it seems that CA allow only 4 withdrawls from other bank's ATM's per month, thereafter each withdrawl is charged at 1€, irrespective if the host bank itself charges or not.

This I did not see in the small print!!![/quote]

I've always had it in mind to only use CA for cash withdrawals, for the same reason.

Having checked the 2013 T&C I have just received, I see that I can use my CA Mastercard to withdraw from any ATM in any bank without being charged, but I would get charged 1€ if I used a "Autre Carte" (which is a basic bank card.)