Renting out property in France

We have bought our house, and should be living there but my husband has decided to work for another two years!!

We are wondering if anyone lets their house out, whether they advertise on the web , what sites to use, what are the pitfalls and tax implications.  Any help really.

We are thinking of letting our house but need some help!

Thanks

If it is only for 2 years it may not be worth the set up cost unless it is in a prime location and can be rented for the summer months, than use a local agent to rent it and they will help you sort out the tax situation. Do not forget start up costs include furniture that meets all safty standards, House and libilty insurance and fixed costs. Maybe better to class it as uninhabitable for 2 years, take out plumbing ( well this is the requirement for the U.K.) and i think the same for France. For long term rentals most agents look for 5 years + from owners.

We have a house in the Haute Savoie which is rented out. Prior to that we had a town house in a large complex which was also rented out. Be careful! At the moment, we have a French family of 6 living in our new house. Apparently, according to the managing agents who we insisted do a regular, thorough six monthly check, they are looking after the house well, and keeping it clean and tidy, despite that they are numerous and also have a cat. The lease has to be for 3 years under French law. Less than 3 years is extremely difficult to do legally and the agents are singularly non-responsive for lets of less than 36 months.

In the town house we had English tenants for 6 years who were nothing short of diabolical. I think the current phrase is 'trashed the place'. So much so, and to such an extent that we had to take them to court to recoup the vast amount we had to spend to bring the house back to being habitable prior to selling. We were going to live in it ourselves, but couldn't face the prospect after seeing the disgusting state it was in. BTW, we won the case. However, there is a system whereby one can pay an additional 3% of the rental paid in insurance, so that if anything goes wrong [pity we did not know this beforehand] the company guarantee to cover damage and non-payment of rent. If you need any further information, post another message here, or send to our p.b. and we will help all we can. PS I hope the English couple are reading this.... they know who they are!

**We have bought our house, and should be living there but my husband has decided to work for another two years!!

We are wondering if anyone lets their house out ............. what are the pitfalls and tax implications.  Any help really. **

lynarth

I have sent you a pm.

Sue

There are of course pitfalls involved, whether letting property in the UK or here in France. We have had nightmare tenants in the UK. The good ones are few and far between I'm afraid. Our home in the UK is let, but we went through a very big and well respected estate agency as it is impossible to oversee a let if you are not in the country. Of course, the same would apply here if you were resident in the UK. Unfortunately good agents do not come cheap - but you can offset their charges against any tax liability.

We have rented out a house here to a nice young French family of six, with two dogs and a menagerie of pets, but the house is a fermette, with outbuildings and land. An estate agency handled the tenancy. Both the tenants and ourselves paid a fee. It is rented unfurnished, and they are looking after the house well. It is a three year lease. We did take out insurance cover with Credit Agricole against loss of rent, house being empty, damage by tenants etc. It costs 18 euros per month. But bear in mind that the first 6 months rent has to be paid up to date for the insurance to be valid.

Hope the info is of some use to you in making a decision.

Linda

Evianers said "Less than 3 years is extremely difficult to do legally and the agents are singularly non-responsive for lets of less than 36 months."

Maybe that depends on area?  Along the south coast here (Carnon, Palavas, Grande Blotte etc) there are lots of short-term rents to be found.   You can stay right next to the beach all winter for a reasonable price, but you have to be out at the beginning of June, for the tourist to move in for the summer.  It seems to be quite accepted and normal around there, and the summer season obviously covers any extra costs involved in the winter lettings. 

Hi SB

Could it be that our local ones are furnished lettings, whereas the problems arise with unfurnished lettings ?

Ho ho ...... off to bonnie Scotland in 5 minutes. Forecast has changed to snow at the end of the week. Could be worse : could be going to Scotland in summer and having snow !

Peter

I read your news, Lynart, with some mixed feelings. The call of security - another two years of earned income - is growing stronger in us too, now only a few weeks away from coming to our new home in Quillan. But, as time accelerates away, as we become increasingly immersed in the preparations (not a few of which are financial, like changing two cars for one), sleep is more frequently interrupted by doubt. It has become more difficult to separate the normal considerations of 'retirement' life-changes from the move itself.

Each morning, as we leap around in our hurry to catch our commuter trains, I tell hergoodself that none of our plans are set in concrete. "I know" she says with a whistful smile.

During our first two years we will miss your company.

• 6 years later...