Wood

I posted a thread on the same subject last October/November. The guy that does our garden got us a truck load ( about 5 steers)  It was just dumped in the hanger.

When getting prices - the bigger the pieces the cheaper - go for 1 metre lengths. Also, if you want it stacked, you will be charged extra.  He lives in La Celette.

Go to your local café and ask the owner if he knows of a paysan who supplies wood for burning.  There's always a couple in any village and you'll get the best deal. They can deliver it and will cut it to the length you require.

That's what we've always done.

can't remember off the top off my head what we paid last year, but this year it's a lot more for the same thing...

12 stere (3 cords) = 408

rangement = 45

livraison = 36

... and I still feel it's cheap, even though it's at least 100€ more than last year!

(still thinking in terms of small electric radiator (x1) adding 600£ to electric bill overwinter in UK 14 years ago!)

My timber supplier and another chap I know are have both been saying the same thing for two years now, as the price of gas and oil continues to rise people are more and more turning to wood, both of them have upped their prices, by 7 & 10 euro per stere. I guess it's suppy and demand, I'm thankful I dont pay for it! I've just agreed a 2/3 1/3 on 70 - 80 cubic metres of timber, enough for perhaps 5 years!

I would suggest that once you've found a supplier you buy a years worth in advance and keep in with him!

Chris

Have just returned from France and all my neighbours were talking about wood,an english friend followed an advert and ended up with loads of wood she could not burn as it was to young,our mairie assistant knows everyone and everything and she will find out if its something she does not know,so I would go to your  marie and ask.I am sure they would be able to help.Perhaps you will have to burn coal for a few days until you are able to get a delivery nothing happens overnight in our part of France.Alarge bag of antracite lasts me a week if I am thrifty,but I am not there in the very cold weather, it costs 15 euros a bag.

• 5 weeks later...