Livret de Famille

Please can somebody tell me what this is??  I have asked the local French and they just say they got it when their child was born!!  I have had a child in France and still have not got one.  Now my son is needing to go to College in September (he was born in the UK) and are demanding the Livret de Famille.  I have tried to explain that I don't have one and they just don't understand how not.  Can I get one?  If so how? 
Many thanks in advance your replies.
Ally

This is a book that is given when a couple marry AFAIK. Everything family related is officially noted in it. We simply do not have these, we have proper official last a life time certificates instead. (Not that the french can get their heads around this idea either and sometimes won't accept that this is the case).

If they want these family details then take along the birth certificate and I would also take your marriage certificate  and birth certificates too, just in case they want to see them, as all these details would be in your Livret de Famille.

We had official translations done of all our certificates, some people on here have said that this is no longer necessary.

I'm sure others will be able to give the legal definition of the Livret, but as I understand it, it is drawn up upon the birth of a child in France. It shows the name of the parents, or legal guardians and it tracks the medical vaccines and medical care of the child. The college wants a copy of it for several reasons, to know if there are any medical problems with the child, to confirm the birthdate of the child, to confirm the names of the parents/legal guardians, and to see that all vaccines are current.

My daughter was born in Athens, Greece, but she is American (dual citizenship). We give the full record of her vaccinations (via photocopy), a photocopy of her U.S. passport, a photocopy of her birth certificate and proof of residency. This was quite sufficient for them. You should be able to do the same thing. If I understood you, your child was NOT born in France. The procedures can vary from department to department, but we have had no problems here - have been here in the school system for 4 years now.

Perhaps if you go to someone a little higher up in the school system. It would be hard to believe they have not dealt with this issue before.

Good luck to you.

We got the Livret the day we got married.

TU is right about their disbelief about our life long certificates.  Gilles had to send for his birth certificate when we got hitched but they only 'last' for two months so you can't ask for one too soon or it isn't valid.

It is a strange place. . .

Hi

This is a blue document that French people get at the time of marriage.

It has space for wedding & divorce details, and for recording births and deaths of children (only up to  13 children, though !). The wedding & child birth and death details must naturally be signed by "un officier de l'état civil".

By some random chance I have one (It was wrongly required by some govt office and it seemed easier to get one than try and substitute other docs).

Took 8 months to arrive, and never been used !

Peter

We have recently enroled  our eldest into college here, the paperwork that was requested was bizare(to me) . They also requested the Livret de famille, and I just said we were brittish and didn`t have one...this was accepted. I photocopied a file I have of her vacinations(we were also given a carnet de vacines(sp) by our medecin when she had some boosters a few months ago) so I photocopied that too.We had to show a recent utility bill and the secretaire phocopied our Titres de sejour.....what else? well quite a few cheques were signed for the cantine etc!

Mrs O

Me Again!  Thanks for all the replies but without question, every couple I have asked how they got their Livret are NOT married!!!!!  So How on earth did they do it!  They are all French though!
Thanks
Ally

Me Again!  Thanks for all the replies but without question, every couple I have asked how they got their Livret are NOT married!!!!!  So How on earth did they do it!  They are all French though!
Thanks
Ally

Teamedup is right to note the website available. There are so many websites available that offer all this info. online. They are extremely helpful and cover a multitude of subjects. You should note them down as they will be your "friends." ....