Living France Fun Trivia Quiz - Just for fun

Russethouse

Many thanks for your advices about the pop up.  I am relieved to know that it is a harmless pop up, rather than a malicious nasty.  One of my friends e-mailed me recently warning me about a nasty malicious pop up advertising spyware that installed a computer nasty when you pressed the cancel "x" in the top right corner, and I thought that this may have been one of those.

I will have another go at the game tomorrow, and just blast away the pop up.  [:D]

David

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dick,

I think you have it exactly right.  The message quoted was not precisely the same as mine, but the intent was the same.

I can now delete the pop up without shutting down my machine.

Thanks very much.  Now off to try the quiz again.

David

• 3 weeks later...
Question 6

>>>History : Famous Battles ( War History)

Charles Martel, King of the Franks, defeated the Arabs at Tours. But in what year?

732 <<<

Russet....

as a wee lass in History lesson I was taught that the Arabs having come from Spain, never went further North than Poitiers as they were roundly defeated there by Charles Martel. In Geography I was taught that Tours is further North than Poitiers....

So... was I taught wrong?...   I sometime doubt the answers given...

Can't double check until home tonight as I am at work now (1/2hour session to get the brain cogs going!)

Also couple of days ago, one of the questions given was about 'le canif du l'archiduchesse... etc...'. Grammatically it is wrong, it should be 'le canif DE l'archiduchesse...etc...', apart from the fact that we never learnt of the duchess' knife being dry but rather of her shirts : 'les chemises de l'archiduchesse sont elles sèches archi-sèches' is a better tongue twister than 'le canif de ... etc...etc...'        It is the same as 'the butcher's son busy plucking pheasants'?

That is one of the more recent mistakes I remember...

I know that you don't set the questions but who does?... I did try to report the DE/DU one but was prompted that I have to be logged in but no screen/box/whatever to be logging in anywhere...

Sorry Russet to cause you problems....

• 3 weeks later...

I went to change the selection and it would not complete. Now I am getting page unavailable through every link I have !

I think I had got far enough to delete all the questions so don't panic  if there is no quiz.

I will try to get it going up and running on Thursday. Watch this space !!

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="missyesbut"]Question 6

>>>History : Famous Battles ( War History)

Charles Martel, King of the Franks, defeated the Arabs at Tours. But in what year?

732 <<<

Russet....

[/quote]

Sorry but it was not at Tours, it was at Poitiers...

Matthew

Matthew I hope you read the posting further than the headline!

>>>Charles Martel, King of the Franks, defeated the Arabs at Tours. But in what year? .... as a wee lass in History lesson I was taught that the Arabs having come from Spain, never went further North than Poitiers as they were roundly defeated there by Charles Martel. In Geography I was taught that Tours is further North than Poitiers.......   I sometime doubt the answers given...   That is one of the more recent mistakes I remember....I did try to report but was prompted that I have to be logged in but no screen/box/whatever to be logging in anywhere... <<<

My point is that whoever writes out the questions for this quizz is not checking out the subject from different reference points!

NOT BLAMING RUSSET AT ALL... She has a hard task as it is, choosing questions to cover all of our abilities, knowledge, nationalities...

but blaming the geek and his team of researchers doing the writing and programming of the quizz.

I come from Deux-Sèvres and in school when something so important happened a mere 40 miles up the road from it, I was duly made to learn it and never to forget it!! Indeed the school even had a coachtrip to Poitiers just to show us kids the town and where this momentous event had occured!

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to have a new category for October.  I'm so sick of b****y Monty Python and football.  There aren't many days now when I get questions I haven't had before.  The thing is, both subject matters are sooo boring and I know nothing about them so just "stick a pin in" for the answer, to try and keep the time low so I never remember them for next time around.

The first month I really enjoyed, lots more questions about France and French, even if there were quite a few Scottish ones as well!! [:D]

A couple of the Monty Python answers are not right - I have tried the 'report correction' link but it just tells me I am not logged in. Of course I'm b***** logged in, or I wouldn't have been able to see they were wrong.

But less of the football, Marie Antoinette and Python would indeed be welcome. And some of the other questions have come up several times and are getting rather familiar now.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Popups aren't the same as viruses.
You would have to download software or a message to get a virus. Closing the box won't do it and you don't have to switch off your machine! Some viruses, however, and some spyware does infest (not infect) your machine with popups, but as your AV software says you are OK you probably are.
One of the worst sites for popups is The Times!
Set up your browser to prevent popups, and if it won't, get one that does.
[/quote]

Dear Dick,

Perhaps you remember that last May I was worried about the pop up in the quiz, and that the possibility existed that just pressing the "x" could download a virus.  You reassured me, and I continued using the quiz site.

If you check the BBC news site today, and look at the "honeypot" item you will see that this possibility does exist, and can be dire.

Further I have found through "spybot" that the quiz pop up for "castelmedia" (?? spelling) does install spyware that is not discovered by "adaware".

I have now again banned myself from the quiz until I receive further reassurances, and am told that the BBC honeypot is wrong, ot this pop up is banned from the quiz site..

With thanks for your good intentions.

David.

Yes, using an image like that is sneaky and a new one to me. However, the BBC report seems to be saying that the infestation is spyware and adware rather than viruses, trojans or worms. You have to either be extremely careful and keep your protection up-to-date or buy a Mac.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Yes, using an image like that is sneaky and a new one to me. However, the BBC report seems to be saying that the infestation is spyware and adware rather than viruses, trojans or worms. You have to either be extremely careful and keep your protection up-to-date or buy a Mac.
[/quote]

I don't think that is quite right Dick.

Part of the article said Quote The bogus download went into overdrive trying to get back online. The meter clocking processor usage zoomed to 100% as it desperately tried to drag more stuff into the PC.

The machine became hard to shut down and we could only shut it off by pulling the virtual plug.

The end result of that single download was a PC that was unusable as it was so clogged with adware and spyware. A quick scan of the machine revealed that seven viruses, mostly trojans, had been installed during the orgy of downloading. Unquote.

Seven viruses, mostly trojans.  And the computer was unusable, and it was my reading of the article that if it had been a private, or home, PC it would have been unrepairable.

One question.  If the virus protection was up to date, could this infestation happen if you pressed the "image" which downloaded to the honeypot machine?

David.

It wasn't me that did it!

I'm sorry that the abysmal security in Microsoft products upset you, but it isn't my fault!

As someone else said, this machine was a test - you would have to be mad to leave a PC unprotected like that.

I choose to use nothing but Macs, for a number of reasons, but for this one (security) as well. I suggest you do the same.[:D]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It wasn't me that did it!

I'm sorry that the abysmal security in Microsoft products upset you, but it isn't my fault!

As someone else said, this machine was a test - you would have to be mad to leave a PC unprotected like that.

I choose to use nothing but Macs, for a number of reasons, but for this one (security) as well. I suggest you do the same.[:D]
[/quote]

Dick,

Very sorry that I upset you, I didn't mean to, and I do not know how I managed it.  I was trying to be very careful. but alert other users to possible problems.  I did not suggest that you "did it" whatever it is that you think I said you did.  I am not upset about the "absymal security in Microsoft products".  I just want to understand the risks and manage them.  I was, however, upset that the quiz sent unwanted spyware.  In the original posting I was also worried that the pop up might be an "image" described by the BBC.  At that time I had heard of this problem, but it seems that you have only just learnt of it.  This had nothing to do with whether my machine was a Mac or Microsoft.  I also have an active firewall, AVG, spybot and adaware, all up to date, so I do not think that I am mad.

My question was, would these defences protect my machine against the "image" described by the BBC?

David.

Dearest Tresco,

How good to "hear your voice again".  You do not seem to be posting much at the moment.

I would very much like to tell you about our garden, but I wonder if this is the correct thread.  Could you avise please.

It is too late tonight, and I will probably be off line for a few days, for several reasons.  One of the main being that in our Deux Sevres house a very large oak tree fell down in a mild gust last Friday evening.  It exposed the root system which showed that there were no roots.  The day before I had been working under it, and one week ago my children were working under it.  Long story, but we have another very large tree showing the same symptoms, and I am desparately trying to find someone to cut it down.  If this one falls it will take the electricity lines with it.  So for the next few days we will try to cut up the fallen tree so that we can fell the other tree.  To do this we will be working under the other tree.  I have arranged neighbours to help as I cannot now use a chain saw.  But I have to buy all the oils, petrol, sharpeners etc, and then service the chain saws.  We had arranged a tractor with a rear mounted saw for the trunk, but yesterday the farmer with the tractor was involved in a nasty road traffic accident.  He was not badly hurt, but he may not be able to help this weekend.

When it is all done at least we will have lots of fire wood.

Many kind regards,

David.