Kissing the hand (and beyond)

hubbard

One always seems to associate France with "le baisemain" - the hand kiss, a quaint and charming custom in my view.  My wife and I didn't see much of it during our recent visit to the south of France, except a wine waiter who always used to greet her that way - in fact when he got to know us better he allowed himself to wander up her arm!  I wasn't bothered, it was meant as humour, not eroticism.  Sadly, I fear that the custom has now gone out of fashion.  Does anyone have any amusing stories about hand (or arm!) kissing?

[quote user="hubbard"]One always seems to associate France with "le baisemain" - the hand kiss, a quaint and charming custom in my view.  My wife and I didn't see much of it during our recent visit to the south of France, except a wine waiter who always used to greet her that way - in fact when he got to know us better he allowed himself to wander up her arm!  I wasn't bothered, it was meant as humour, not eroticism.  Sadly, I fear that the custom has now gone out of fashion.  Does anyone have any amusing stories about hand (or arm!) kissing?[/quote]

I suspect this might be a long thread!

[quote user="hubbard"]One always seems to associate France with "le baisemain" - the hand kiss, a quaint and charming custom in my view.  My wife and I didn't see much of it during our recent visit to the south of France, except a wine waiter who always used to greet her that way - in fact when he got to know us better he allowed himself to wander up her arm!  I wasn't bothered, it was meant as humour, not eroticism.  Sadly, I fear that the custom has now gone out of fashion.  Does anyone have any amusing stories about hand (or arm!) kissing?[/quote]

What about the hand lick? Does that count?

I had my own hand licked tonight, on this very forum.

[quote user="Pads"]Pads licks trescos hand [8-)][/quote]

I don't think hand kissing is common now. I think I'd feel uncomfortable if someone did it to me.

I must say that there are some very jolly new members raising making interesting posts today![:)]

[quote user="Tresco"]

I must say that there are some very jolly new members raising making interesting posts today![:)]

[/quote]

Must be the yeasty autumn air. [6]

S'not polite to kiss "A Lady's" hand... the man (or woman, let's not make assumptions) is supposed to hold his / her thumb over the back of The Lady's hand and kiss that. No bodily fluids should be deposited on the skin of "The Lady".

Hope that helps. [:D]

[quote user="Catalpa"]
S'not polite to kiss "A Lady's" hand... the man (or woman, let's not make assumptions) is supposed to hold his / her thumb over the back of The Lady's hand and kiss that. No bodily fluids should be deposited on the skin of "The Lady".

Hope that helps. [:D]
[/quote]

That doesn't sound like much fun!  Have I been doing it wrong all this time?  On the occasions that I have kissed a lady's hand, I have lightly kissed the back of her hand between the knuckles and the wrist, so there is physical contact but no "slobbering"!

No Simone, no tongues allowed for Platonic kisses!  I have done some research into hand kissing, and have assembled the following "Rules":

1.  The lady must be known to the man.

2.  The meeting must not take place in a public place (with the exception of the theatre, restaurant, opera or horse races).

3.  The lady must be married.

4.  It is up to the lady to initiate the kiss by offering her hand palm down.

5.  The man should bnd over the lady's hand, not raise it to his lips.

5.  The lips should not touch the hand but hover over it (similar to the "thumb" business).

6.  Never attempt to kiss a gloved hand.

7.  Never use the hand kiss as a prelude to running a chain of kisses up the lady's arm.

All these rules may be broken where circumstances allow, but it doesn't give you the right to grab the hand of the first lady who comes along and kiss it - remember the act of hand kissing is going "where angels fear to tread"!

I was singing in a wine bar last week and the owner introduced us to a customer.  He took my hand and kissed it.  Sorry - but it makes me cringe and I think it's rude and invasive for a stranger to touch me in such a way.

I know JK will have a field day tomorrow when she reads this and will try and prove that I don't mind being 'touched up' by strangers and we'll laugh and chuckle - but I am being serious when I say that I don't like having my hand kissed by strange men who I don't fancy[:)]

Not long ago, when I was in France, I visited this man and after a glass of wine over idle conversation and a lovely lunch as I was about to take my leave, no warning about the next move but 2 big warm hands were holding my face and a big snog I received ! [:$]

Yup!! the bounder he kissed me ... [:$] no handkiss either ....

... and do you know what ? .... Oooh! It was deeeevine ! [:D] 

[quote user="LEO"]Kising with the eyes is much more effective.[/quote]

Hi Leo!

I've never tried Kising - well not with the eyes anyway.[8-)]

Chris!

Now that I think about it, I did feel a tingle - it was my flesh creeping up my arm[+o(]

Missy!

Now there was a man who wasn't afraid to express himself!   I find those hand jobs so desperate don't you?[:)]

[quote user="Chris Head"]

That'll be Creusois foreplay Missy?

[/quote]

Really ? .... The gentleman will be pleased to know as we were a fair distance away from La Creuse that day but France nevertheless [:$][:D]

Now... if a Creusois offers me this kind of welcome, well ... I'll have to go and experience it for myself [:-))]  [;-)] [:D]   

Oh Tresco, I have had enough twiddle twaddle with her to last a lifetime.  She is texting me and ringing me at work now.  In fact, if it is not me she is annoying it is Terry Wogan. You can tell winter is coming and her concerts are thinning out a bit.[:D]

The woman is bored. Anyway, I have sent her some nice curry recipies to keep her out of trouble though.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Oh Tresco, I have had enough twiddle twaddle with her to last a lifetime.  She is texting me and ringing me at work now.

[/quote]

She's concerned about you! We all are!

Only kidding, but you knew that didn't you? [:-))][6][kiss]

Terry Wogan?

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Just Katie"]

Oh Tresco, I have had enough twiddle twaddle with her to last a lifetime.  She is texting me and ringing me at work now.

[/quote]

She's concerned about you! We all are!

Only kidding, but you knew that didn't you? [:-))][6][kiss]

Terry Wogan?
[/quote]

Oh, I take it your missed her imput into the French Lady in Illfracombe thread?  Like I told you, she needs something to occupy her and keep her out of troub.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Oh, I take it your missed her imput into the French Lady in Illfracombe thread?

[/quote]

See my post on page one of this thread.

I've been following that particular thread (some nice and even sensible people there) and think I might have contributed to its derailment.