What were we thinking of?

flunch

Having just made a comment in a post in the Gordon Ramsay prog thread regarding an era you look back on, you know what I mean, you see a photo of yourself.....and think "what the hell was I thinking of?"   I mentioned the late 60's/early 70's and shoulder length hair (or longer), kipper ties (for the boys).       There must be a lot who look back and think "........what the bl**dy hell was I thinking of ?".    I've just had another picture come to mind, remember seeing the girls wearing their near-white lipstick and so much mascara that its a wonder they could ever lift their eyelids, at that time they also wore white p.v.c. knee-length boots.    Remember beetle-crushers and tartan jackets and D.A.'s?   The list is endless, and it will always go on, just as I said about Jamie Oliver's hairstyle.... in 20 years time, he'll see himself as he is now and think he had a bad hair era.     What about the Australian guy in the Darts championships last week?    Bet he thinks he looks really cool now.......20 years from now what will he think?[geek][:-))] [blink]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still prefer long hair, even now, on both sexes.  But I'm just an ageing hippy!  My hair is the same as it was 35 years ago when I got married (and the same colour, thankfully - not sure I'll carry on when I go grey though..)  Saves a bundle on haircuts too.  I get very irritated with my o/h when he goes for his bi-annual haircut - talk about a waste of money.[6]

Remember Afghan coats - when you smelt of the goat they came in when it rained?

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Still prefer long hair, even now, on both sexes.  But I'm just an ageing hippy!  My hair is the same as it was 35 years ago when I got married (and the same colour, thankfully - not sure I'll carry on when I go grey though..)  Saves a bundle on haircuts too.  I get very irritated with my o/h when he goes for his bi-annual haircut - talk about a waste of money.[6]

Remember Afghan coats - when you smelt of the goat they came in when it rained?

[/quote]

They ponged!    Remember the beehives on the girls, so much lacquer on if you'd put a match to them they'd have looked like the Olympic torch.     When no lacquer was available it was a case of sugar and water mixed and put into a squirty bottle.    Remember a teacher at school getting into serious trouble for putting a ribbon into a boys hair and making him wear it all day, even remember his name, but of course I won't say.      

[quote user="Geordie girl"]I`m too young for beehive memb but i was a mod with the knee high boots and mini dress,  painted on eye lashes.............trying to be twiggy and i thought i looked great            [:$][/quote]

so you was the bird wearing boots   [Www]

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/A3leggedsquirrel/7514948b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Geordie girl"]I`m too young for beehive memb but i was a mod with the knee high boots and mini dress,  painted on eye lashes.............trying to be twiggy and i thought i looked great            [:$][/quote]

Did you wear big polka dots and the broad black pvc belt?   Not Twiggy's hairstyle I hope?     Can you remember when it was cool for jeans to have zips on the back pockets?     My brother once went down the big slide in Blackpool's funhouse and  sparks came from his behind!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

The beehive days also provided women with the wonderful excuse of  "I'm washing my hair" to avoid going out with somebody they didn't fancy.  I guess people really did only wash their hair once a week then so no wonder it ponged a bit!

[/quote]

Think you're right !   Can anyone remember their first pair of bell-bottoms (not flares, they were called bell-bottoms).    How cool was it to wear bell-bottoms, topped with a flowery shirt.   

[quote user="krusty"]

so you was the bird wearing boots   [Www]

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/A3leggedsquirrel/7514948b.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Trust you to find that Krusty.............[:D]

I can remember my brother wearing "loons" jeans. The top half of the leg was a different colour to the bottom half. [:-))]

..............can remember my brother wearing "loons" jeans. The top half of the leg was a different colour to the bottom half.

Because he was from the toon he wore loons?   How many remember scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing those Wrangler's to get them looking washed out.    

I must be a bit younger than you lot.  The worst I can think of is when I walked through my home town in full Adam Ant new romantic garb complete with a strip of white grease paint across my nose [:$]

Talking of long hair, my 13 year old son has hair past his shoulders.  When it's clean it's lovely.  He refuses to get it cut, but about twice a year  he does allow me to trim the ends off to keep it tidy!  It has it's downsides though, on more than one occasion he has been mistaken for a girl, including by a locum doctor!!

[quote user="Lisleoise"]I must be a bit younger than you lot.  The worst I can think of is when I walked through my home town in full Adam Ant new romantic garb complete with a strip of white grease paint across my nose [:$]

Talking of long hair, my 13 year old son has hair past his shoulders.  When it's clean it's lovely.  He refuses to get it cut, but about twice a year  he does allow me to trim the ends off to keep it tidy!  It has it's downsides though, on more than one occasion he has been mistaken for a girl, including by a locum doctor!!
[/quote]

No Lisleoise Adam Ant appeared early 80's methinks?    Stand and Deliver and all that!     I am the Animals / Kinks / Beatles / Hermans Hermits and my favourite....the Hollies era!!!!   He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother was one of THE best!   Bet you looked chic, did you have a shoulder curly perm?

I was a punk... my children find this very amusing!  Strawberry pink hair, crimped and stuck together with sugar water, skin tight jeans with zips and rips, mens shirts tied at the side, white pancake make up with black eyeliner and black lipstick... safety pins in my ears and a padlock and chain round my neck!  and doc martins to finish...very fetching!!! [:-))]

I'm quite proud of my punk era... but the Bay city Roller tartan... now that was embarrassing!  [:D]

[quote user="Rose"]

I was a punk... my children find this very amusing!  Strawberry pink hair, crimped and stuck together with sugar water, skin tight jeans with zips and rips, mens shirts tied at the side, white pancake make up with black eyeliner and black lipstick... safety pins in my ears and a padlock and chain round my neck!  and doc martins to finish...very fetching!!! [:-))]

I'm quite proud of my punk era... but the Bay city Roller tartan... now that was embarrassing!  [:D]

[/quote]

I'm glad you did'nt live in my street when I came home from the flicks on a Friday night.      Bet you loved Toyah Wilcox.     Bay City Rollers and those short tartan trousers...yuk

[quote user="Rose"]

[/quote]

Eeh i bet your mother wasn`t impressed  [:D]

A rose by any other name.................and all that  [:-))]

[quote user="Geordie girl"][quote user="Rose"]

[/quote]

Eeh i bet your mother wasn`t impressed  [:D]

A rose by any other name.................and all that  [:-))]

[/quote]

Having read LF for a while I seem to remember Rose was Pale Pink Specs in a former life, got a thing about pink then hav'nt you?[;-)]

[quote user="memb"]

Bet you looked chic, did you have a shoulder curly perm?

[/quote]

No, I had hair that was cropped short at the back and sides and was sprayed about four inches vertically on top!!  I was from the end of punk/beginning of new romantics era.

[quote user="Geordie girl"]I thought sneakers was a chocolate bar   .............;;[/quote]

Yows jestin! ! !  Sneakers not Snickers, multi striped sneakers (what they were called after sandshoes and before pumps........and certainly before trainers).

[quote user="Cathy"]

Wearing black plastic bags, belted around the waist, and thinking that it was cool...

[/quote]

..........and Harry Hill type collars, only they were'nt propped up like his, the pointier the better.   Tank tops - how cool was tank tops?