Is this a record ?

Hoddy

I spent four hours today in the A & E department of our local hospital. Obviously I had time to peruse all the magazines. The earliest dated from 1999. I think this must be a record, unless you know better.

Hoddy

The last time I was at the Dr's I found an english magazine among all the recent Paris Match etc. It was a catalogue of very expensive english houses, into the millions, in London and the home counties. A bit embarrassing, no wonder the french think we're very rich.

English hospital Hoddy?

The last time I took someone to A&E Kingston Hospital (Saturday evening, four hours) there was a TV blaring out in the waiting area. It was showing The Omen - just the thing for the injured and upset people to watch.

No, the hospital was French. I better make it clear that I'm not complaining about the waiting time although it was very boring. While we were there two helicopters and one ambulance arrived carrying people much more seriously in need of attention than my other half who only had a massive splinter through his finger.

Hoddy

You need to be 8 years' old and then you can jump the queue...

Last year, I took my 8 year old son with a temperature of 40 degrees to a French A&E and we were seen immedaitely, much to the misery of the many sports' people with sprained ankles etc (it was Saturday evening).  I spoke to one of the injured (a footballer) and he had been waiting 3 hours.

[quote user="Cathy"]

You need to be 8 years' old and then you can jump the queue...

Last year, I took my 8 year old son with a temperature of 40 degrees to a French A&E and we were seen immedaitely, much to the misery of the many sports' people with sprained ankles etc (it was Saturday evening).  I spoke to one of the injured (a footballer) and he had been waiting 3 hours.

[/quote]

I have to concurr.....five weeks ago I waited from 8pm and was eventually seen at 1am in the A&E in Mayenne Hospital . Just when I thought my time was up, more urgent cases came in - just one of those nights I suppose !

Hoddy - don't discount a splinter as not serious -  I too had splinter, the doctor opened the wound, said he could't find anything and then stitched my hand up. I tried to protest and said I was sure there was something left in there, and could I have an xray, but no, he knew best, he sent me home.

When I had the stitches out 10 days later the infirmiere said the large blister and swelling was not right so she said better make a RDZ with the quack. The next day before the renedvous, the wound opened and a huge splinter 2.5cm long started to protrude from the wound. Together with the piece that I removed at the time of the accident, the total length was around 3.5cm and deeply embedded in the muscle of my hand near the tendons.

I'm still on strong antibiotics and have had a radio to investigate further - My doctor said the hospital should have xrayed the hand in the first instance, sent the photos to her colleagues.

Anyone who is sqeamish, dont click the link !  [:'(]

http://picasaweb.google.fr/snakehipster/Hand?authkey=qo-kzQuLzZ4

Paul, I'm not underestimating the seriousness of the splinter, it's just that the other people's injuries seemed more imminently life-threatening.

My other half's splinter was a little shorter than yours and it was obviously there because it was protuding from both sides of his finger. The doctor decided to pull it out from what would have been its exit point if it had gone right through. OH is currently having to visit our local doctor every two days to make sure it's not infected and is, of course, on antibiotics.

Hoddy