Re: My French language slip ups...

osie

1. After 3 years of offering the 'plaT du jour' in the restaurant finally our waitress told me it is meant to be pla-(silent t) du jour.... dohhh

2. Asking for my car to be fixed and saying that I drive a citron... a lemon.. ahhh

It all adds to the fun on living in France :-D

haha, I remember the time I went to a local farmer and asked to borrow a trap so that I could catch the animal that was going in my loft, pooing, making a noise ... I wanted to catch it and release it into the forest so that I could get some sleep.

Trouble was, I forgot the word (putois = polecat) and asked for the trap to catch my p*t**n (er, lady of the night). Red faces all round!.

Osie I wouldn't worry too much about the 'lemon' thing.

The Citroen family moved to Paris from Amsterdam in 1873. Upon arrival, the diaeresis was added to the name, changing Citroen to Citroën (a grandfather had sold lemons, and had changed the consequent name Limoenman "lime man" to Citroen (Dutch for "lemon")).

There are words I still cannot get my tongue around, no talent for language you see. And faux pas, well, I love them.

I asked the pretty girl at the builder's merchants for a "pipe", when I really meant "tuyeaux". I coudn't understand it when she looked at me with a face like thunder whilst her mate was crying with tears. My canadian friend told me what I had asked for. I've not been back since and cringe with embarrassment everytime I drive past.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]I asked the pretty girl at the builder's merchants for a "pipe", when I really meant "tuyeaux". I coudn't understand it when she looked at me with a face like thunder whilst her mate was crying with tears. My canadian friend told me what I had asked for. I've not been back since and cringe with embarrassment everytime I drive past.[/quote]

Yep, did exactly the same thing.

In my case the girl was just going redder and redder with embarassment while the guy in the back office was laughing.

Mind you, I probably compounded my error as I asked for a discount as I wanted so many 'Pipes'  [:$]