Re: The songs we are singing

Frenchie

will very much depend on whether my little cottage is purchased in 24 by then as to whether it's paris or London.  May end up trying to get tickets for both then ebaying the one I won't need.  Mind you - if everything has gone through by then I'll be up to my ears in sorting out the damp problem/new fosse etc etc....  Wish me luck!

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.  If all goes ok..... and I have to say that because this is the fifth house I've been interested in so far over the last year and a half since I've been looking... it's between Thiviers and Exideuil in a very, very small hamlet.  Do you know the area?  where are you?    As regards Arctic Monkeys, haven't really got to grips with them yet.  These days I seem to be discovering people who have been around for years, including lots of stuff from before my time ie motown, Doors etc.  Beth Orton is a recent listen, some tracks are quite stunning.  Stevie Ray Vaughan is another and Joe Bonamassa (no I'd never heard of him either) but there's a fantastic record store in Hebden Bridge with an old rocker of an owner who said that if I liked Stevie I'd be interested to hear Joe Bonamass and he was right.  Of course I have my sad side too like the Barbara Streisand Star is Born sound track, but none of us is perfect!!

[:D]Oh I am in Poitou Charentes but we sometimes go to Dordogne for a week end. I don't know that area you mention, no..

Most  bands you mentioned I don't know, but hey.. I have an excuse, I am french..  I tried Arctic Monkey, not really my cup of tea either.. In fact I must be sad    [:D], but most bands I love are from the 60s ,70s, 80s,90s .. Of course there are some current things I like but not so much..

Unless you help me discover new gems .. ! x

Ah, I looked round part of the Charente recently, Cellefrouin, Montemboeuf, La Rochefoucauld etc.  Really liked it but there just weren't the houses around at the time.  Talking of all things French (although I think he was Armenian) Charles Aznavour and She.  Do you remember Elvis Costello putting out a version where he completely murdered it?  It was for the  film Notting Hill 'and every time his version comes on the radio I have to turn it off.!  I'm with you on the older stuff  How about blues?  Ever heard Smokestack Lightning by Howlin Wolf?

[quote user="virginia.c"]

Ah, I looked round part of the Charente recently, Cellefrouin, Montemboeuf, La Rochefoucauld etc.  Really liked it but there just weren't the houses around at the time.  Talking of all things French (although I think he was Armenian) Charles Aznavour and She.  Do you remember Elvis Costello putting out a version where he completely murdered it?  It was for the  film Notting Hill 'and every time his version comes on the radio I have to turn it off.!  I'm with you on the older stuff  How about blues?  Ever heard Smokestack Lightning by Howlin Wolf?

[/quote]

No I haven't heard Sokestack lightning;.  will check it on the internet..

I know La Rochefoucault .. It is lovely there..  I don't remember that version of She by E Costello, .. CHarles Aznavour is the old generation OK, but his texts are beautiful.. Just like Reggiani 's...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gcdRjtz07ak               " Mon enfant , mon Amour"

Take a look & listen here, it is free to register and you will definitely. find something/someone that you like.[:D] I am currently listening to Bruce Springsteen at the Olympia Stadium, along with the E Street Band Stockholm including one of my favourite guitarists Nils Lofgren, if you love good music look for Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live. Mmmmmm![:D]

what a great site!  Can see that I will while away a good few hours here.  Just heard Bruce's new single on the radio.  Can't remember what it was called but a bit disappointing to be honest.  Lets hope the rest of the new album is better.  What did you think of his last album?  Quite a departure but I was impressed with most of it.  Unlike Sting's foray into all things lutish!