Something for Chris Head?

Dick Smith

I am Venice mad,I read anthing I can get my hands on about it,I went to the carnival last year and the shoe would not look out of place,as anything that floats is paraded.I am planning to go next year so I will see if I can find his gallery,its a really interesting website,as the old saying goes, you learn something new everyday.The making of the gondolas is very interesting,before I got into everything venice ,I thought they were just a posh canoe,there are only one or two makers left I believe.

Ok the fog's cleared now. WOW! Knowing what goes into carving I am blown away by the way he manages to express himself, it's inspiring to me, it makes me want to sprint to a log! Thanks for that Dick, anyone else see any large scale carving that moves them?

Imagination is an affliction!

Chris

Carve or Starve!

There could be a connection with France. I am sure I have read something about a Frenchman who does something rather similar with wood, though not to quite the same high standard as the Italian chap. I remember seeing a picture of a full-size wooden Jeep. I think it may have been in a Normandy tourism brochure, but I can't seem to find out any more. I believe they are exhibited in the grounds of a château or similar.

I also remember watching somebody doing a chain saw carving in the form of what looks like a gendarme standing on a totem pole at Virey, near St Hilaire du Harcouet (50), a couple of years ago. It is still standing, beside the main N176 road. That wasn't you by any chance, Chris?

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Will "]

I remember seeing a picture of a full-size wooden Jeep. [/quote]

Did you hear about the wooden car with the wooden engine?

It wooden go! 

BOOM BOOM!

[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)]

Why woodent it ?

Ah! Chris!! all these silly jokes you get lumbered with...

HAHAHA!!!!!!

You probably heard them all 100's of times, so it may be boring to you but you should know that it takes little to amuse small minds like us your admirers...

[quote user="Will "]

I think it may have been in a Normandy tourism brochure, but I can't seem to find out any more. I believe they are exhibited in the grounds of a château or similar.

[/quote]

I think you're right, Dick - there is someone in the Normandy area who is into Chris's kind of carving.  Last year when we were organising the Comice for the St Paterne canton (near Alençon) someone suggested inviting this chap who does carving with chain saws.  But he was demanding such a huge 'appearance fee' that in the end we didn't bother.

Give me a good time and I'll do it for free, if you can cover my deisel and make sure I eat and drink that'll be enough for me, I don't like hotels, seen hundreds of them, I prefer the truck, so there's no accomodation costs. I used to charge those sort of fees in the UK and just got sick to death of the whole thing.

Chris

That's a very generous offer, Chris - I only wish I'd known about you a year ago.  But we only get the Comice here in Ancinnes every 15 years!  Shame - it was a cracking weekend and a demo of your stuff would have gone down a treat.  If you're still in one piece in 15 years, maybe! [B]