Dick

Chris Head

Dick, this is important.

You've stated so many times now that you just don't do or get irony. I've just looked up 'irony' in the dictionary, never having really understood the word properly. OK it's an old dictionary but the explanation tells me that I probably live by irony, always seeking the inverse, the inverse being normal to me, I can't believe that having spent so many years with young brains that you're not familiar with irony and don't practice it from time to time? I often find you 'ironic'

Dick, is it that to be ironic would be an admission of not perhaps always being in control and as an experienced and time served teacher of the old school you wouldn't want the label of being a member of those of us who think and feel and perhaps have a less than healthy sense of humour?

Irony Dick....you're one of us, go there if you dare!

Oh for goodness sake...

Why don't you stop giving me advice? I said I didn't recognise any irony in a statement, not that I don't recognise it in general. I do. Many different sorts. Do you know how many varieties of irony there are? I won't patronise you by going through them.

Pack in the patronising of me, please.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Oh for goodness sake...

Why don't you stop giving me advice? I said I didn't recognise any irony in a statement, not that I don't recognise it in general. I do. Many different sorts. Do you know how many varieties of irony there are? I won't patronise you by going through them.

Pack in the patronising of me, please.
[/quote]

OOOOOH Dick, you little monkey...........well your avatar is[:P]

Spongebob

Dick, please patronise me and explain. When a brain like yours says it just doesn't do 'irony' that raises questions to me. I've been thinking about it all day and I really don't understand...fact. What is it about irony that you don't do? Of course I'm not trying to give advice, I simply don't understand why you don't do irony?

I do irony all the time. I didn't say I don't do irony, I said I didn't recognise any irony in a post in which the poster claimed irony. That is quite common - to claim something which someone objects to was meant ironically, or as a joke.

I do verbal irony (saying one thing and meaning another, spectrum from humour through to sarcasm) and sometimes situational irony (you lead someone to expect something and then present them with something else, often linked in some way with their expectation).

There are other types of irony, especially dramatic irony, when a character in a film or play speaks to the audience in such a way as both 'knowingly' realise that the situation they are in is dramatic and not real - like a Shakespeare soliloquy (which someone said was speaking to yourself, it isn't, it's apparine to speak to yourself but in fact speaking to an audience who realise that the speaker is not alone but pretend that he is). This is linked with tragic irony, in which an audience knows something which a character doesn't (look behind you!).

And that doesn't take into account satire.

Edit - crossposted with you Tresco - you have it in a nutshell.

Chris,

This is getting like a double irony situation..........if there is such a thing....

Dick is naturally and pretty obviously, fully aware on the subject of

irony. I doubt he ever misses a trick but some people do claim irony

when it is miles off the mark.

In your post, it must have been pretty tough for Dick to be given what

appeared to him, to be like a lecture and thus patronising, on a 

subject he is completely and utterley au fait with. I am rather

surprised you never realised that and that is why it feels so much

like a double irony......................[8-)]

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the article in The Sunday Times;

you can now decide if this is ironic humour (no- not you Dick, you have already seen it)

Leo

(From today's Times)

EDF’s not in our boat

OOH LA LA. Despite its charm offensive in Britain, the French utility giant EDF has short-circuited its image.

News of a spectacular gaffe emerged last week at the launch of The Crossing, the book by television presenter Ben Fogle and Olympic gold-medallist James Cracknell, about their rowing race across the Atlantic in Spirit of EDF Energy, above. Fogle said he returned from his heroics only to find that EDF had cut off his electrictity.

“I found a letter from (EDF) saying I hadn’t paid a monthly bill of about £80 and they didn’t know where I was. This was despite us being all over international television with their logo on our boat. It just shows that while EDF was significant in our lives, we were not at all significant in theirs.”

The article is not ironic in any of its meanings. The use of OOH LA LA may be slightly humorous, but it isn't ironic. The article, and presumably the intention of your original post, was to mock EDF, that isn't irony. However that backfires because no-one else seems to have heard of these rowers.

In fact, the statement by the rower is hubristic, in that he expects, because he is paddling a rowing boat across the Atlantic, to be a centre of attention, which he clearly wasn't.

Please see Miki's post above.