I have decided...

Will

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Miki"]

Betty,

Can we debate this a little please, it's not eggsactly (groan, hiss, boo, does it get any worse than that [:)] ) what I had in mind. How will the envelope be cooked, à point or well licked ?

[/quote]

Miki, I'm afraid that due to the recent eggstortionate (well, you started it[:P]) increase in postage charges in the UK, I will be forced to remove the oeuf from is shell and pour it into the envelope to remain within the minimum thickness requirements for said envelope. I can let you choose how you want your spud, though. In fact, I could offer you the alternative of crisps in the flavour of your choice, which have the benefit of being slim, pre-cooked and not going black in the post. Just a couple of eggzamples of the choices I can offer. I don't feel I have transgressed anough to merit offering you a jiffy bag.............yet[:)]

Twinkle, do you have the same obscure and ecletic tastes in music as I do, or are you just good at Googling? That last link was a good one though -

"Rosbif

• Rosbif (Folksound Records FSLP3)

"English 5-piece group playing French dance tunes from Berry, Bourbonnais and Auvergne. Hurdy-gurdies played by Mel Stevens and Richard Smith. Definitely worth the purchase." [GW]

No, not really Richard Smith - do tell me it's not him..... [:P]

[quote user="Will "]

Twinkle, do you have the same obscure and ecletic tastes in music as I do, or are you just good at Googling?

[/quote]

A bit of both - but I am very good at Googling - Look what I found

Subject: RE: Canadian tune: Ros bif (Rosbif Waltz)
Date: 18 Oct 04 - 07:25 AM

I must say that after many years after Mel Stevens and I recorded this tune it is a great surprise that it has appeared on this site with a lovely midi file version.
Rosbif originated from an English Country dance band called "The biggest trio in the World".
We were performing in France at the Ris Orangis Folk Festival and when we finished at about twelve thirty another group came on stage called Fubu.They played traditional French music from Central France and we loved it and in particular a waltz played on two hurdy gurdys called The Fubu Walz.Mel a bagpipe fanatic decided he would build his own French bagpipes,we found Richard Smith a local builder and player of the Hurdy Gurdy.I was initially asked to play melodion ,a more traditional line up,but I managed to change Mels thinking to me playing concertina,which I thought blended nicely with the hurdy gurdy.Mel was at that time regularly going to French dance and folk weekends and was amazed to find that hardly any music was in print and started to write it out as he heard it.It eventually formed the basis of the two books Massif book of French dance music.To Mels embarrasment it started selling in France.
Rosbif made two records Traditional French music from Central France and Bouree a Six the waltz refered to in this discussion was on the first album with Mel on Melodion and me on CG Jeffries Anglo concertina.
Thank you all for your interest in the tune which Mel collected in France and could not find the name.I do not think it is Canadian but if anybody knows it is,I would be gratefull for the information.
Kind regards
Al

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Russethouse"]

The club meeting is at Rouen next year - then some of them will go on to La Baule and then to Quimper.

[/quote]

What club is that?  Do I belong to it?  Would it have me?
[/quote]

Its http://www.quimperclub.org/

If you give us your £22.50 ( $$$ or €€€€ also welcome) we will be thrilled to welcome you.[:D]

Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel,

I must say you are a bit iffy for one with such an enticing lovely long

name. It matches your features most admirably. (old chat up line form

the late 60's, it never worked but then I never met anyone with a name

like yours[:)] )

Last offer Oeuf frites on you and I buy the chateau la pompe. There, deal or no deal ?

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Russethouse"]

The club meeting is at Rouen next year - then some of them will go on to La Baule and then to Quimper.

[/quote]

What club is that?  Do I belong to it?  Would it have me?

[/quote]

Its http://www.quimperclub.org/

If you give us your £22.50 ( $$$ or €€€€ also welcome) we will be thrilled to welcome you.[:D]

[/quote]

Give the webmaster a poke to update the homepage, Gay!

[quote] Give the webmaster a poke to update the homepage, Gay! [/quote]

[geek] Did I read that right.?  Take no notice Gay, he'll get you hung with his nasty demands [:)]

OK Betty, it's a deal, no more Noel impressions, whoever he do be [:D]

Twinkle, thanks for that last link. That set me off on a googling marathon reliving the 1970s - from Rosbif through Scan Tester, Pump and Pluck, Potters Wheel, Etchingham Steam Band, Shirley Collins and the various Albion Bands, the Coppers (of course), various Morris sides including Broadwood and Chanctonbury Ring, and others, in rather different genres, associated with them such as Dave Mattacks (Fairport and others drummer), Gryphon - all of which I either saw regularly around Sussex or knew personally (and played with a few of them too). I can't believe it was 30-odd years back. The Etchingham Steam Band, for example, was formed as an all-acoustic outfit during the power cuts and the three day week, and ceased just as quickly, but managed to do some Peel sessions and record an album (which didn't get released until about 20 years afterwards). At the time I was into a rather strange combination of traditional Sussex songs and tunes, Irish traditional, and 1960s standards, on electric bass and button accordion.

I do hope I get the chance to go to your gigs, I know I would enjoy them.

[quote user="Will "]...but I think it's one of the best topics we have had for ages. [:D] Can't remember quite when we had so many unrelated conversations at once.[/quote]

For 24 years I've been living next door to Alice

[quote user="LEO"]

[quote user="Will "]...but I think it's one of the

best topics we have had for ages. [:D] Can't remember quite when we had

so many unrelated conversations at once.[/quote]

For 24 years I've been living next door to Alice

[/quote]

Alice....who the f*** is Alice ....................[:)]

[quote user="missyesbut"]

[quote user="LEO"]   ......  For 24 years I've been living next door to Alice [/quote]

Are you sure ?.... I heard from that Scorcese chap down the street that Alice doesn't live here anymore.....

[:D]

[/quote]

She used to room on the second floor with Carrie.