If you support a football team, which one and why?

Dave

[quote user="Tresco"]

I think you're right there Miki. Some players are so fantastic it's not just their own clubs fans who respect them.[/quote]

A great player is a great player but we don't like to admit it sometimes eh !! As for Eric l'enfant terrible, he had a great spell where he was numero uno winning the title on his own at times but even then, the French went on to win the World Cup without even picking him for the squad... I bet he then kind of knew how Greavesey felt !

Eric's old numbered shirt and with his name on the back, is still a top seller at Old Trafford

Do you know, Fergie was just 90 minutes from getting the tin tack from Utd at one time, hard to believe now.

Indeed he was, a genuine man in every sense of the word.

Would he have been such a drinker if his playing career hadn't been cut short?

"If a player had said to Bill Shankly 'I've got to speak to my agent', Bill would have hit him. And I would have held him while he hit him."

[quote user="Tresco"]

"Sorry, I was just being facetious. He was good in "Elizabeth" as well."

LOL, I thought he was pretty terrible in that film. There are scenes where I'm sure they just said 'enough'.

[/quote]

Sorry, still being facetious; but he was better than Angus Deayton!

Certainly BC could have done the job, but could the FA have stood him for five minutes? They've never been very good at listening to home truths...

I think he was a genuinely driven and troubled man, in some ways close to a genius, and our society isn't very kind to geniuses.

Isn't football that 'girly' game where 22 overpaid, oversexed prima-donnas run around until they stub a toe and have to carried off?

Maybe I'm wrong and its really the focal point for routine tribal warfare by beer fuelled thugs who call themselves 'fans'

Best I duck now  [:P]

Bolton Wanderers. And so do both my kids. In spite of the fact that they were born in Kingston-upon-Thames. They seem to get a small thrill from being able to (occasionally) grin in a slightly smug way when a team of mostly has-beens and also-rans beat Arsenal or Spurs....or even occasionally Man U or Chelsea. As usual, they're losing right, left and centre at the moment, but they'll come good again before the end of the season.

Once upon a time, a distant relative was the Chairman. This meant that my mum was in the Directors' box for that match at Wembley in 1953. Never ever  mention Stanley Matthews to my mum. [;-)]

Notts County/Nottm Forest, because back in 1945 my dad would take me to see whichever was playing at home. Portsmouth, because the queen virtually made Portsmouth my home town for about 34 years. Will be watching Salisbury/Forest this afternoon

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I used to go to Selhurst Park a few times in

the early 70s, but Malcolm Allison put me off! Used to be able to get a

157 (I think!) almost direct to the ground - is that right or am I

imagining it?

[/quote]

You may not have liked him Dick but I can honestly say, on listening to his his tactics and coaching, he was second to none for a while in the 70's he made one error in management (with Joe Mercer) , he wanted to play with 6 forwards and win 6-5, it lost Man City another certain title but.........................

He certainly got Palace playing well, the sods dumped us out the cup the year they got beat in the semis against eventual winners, Southampton.

rusheslake, do you remember a coach they had called Ernie Walley ? Great inspiration with the apprentices.

Yes, on the coaching ground he may have been mustard, but off it he wasn't much of an advert for the game - what really put me off was when he invented really lame nicknames for the team and published them in the programme. And on their tracksuits! Not a marketing genius, but equally he didn't deserve Ron Noades...

Come on Dick, any man who can smoke a cigar, whilst wearing a fedora and a sheepskin coat, ain't all bad [:)]

That name thing etc was pretty much a club thing wasn't it ? To try and make them bigger team than they actually were at the time ! It gave lots of people a grin though !

The names that echo around my head (no pun there) about the Palace was Bert Head and the one and only tough nut...Dick Graham. We have an old friend  who played under him at both Colchester and Palace and the stories about his antics were endless.

I'm not sure. I was never a fan, I just went along on Saturdays to see a game. It felt as though there was more hype than substance. Perhaps if I had been a fan I would have appreciated it more.

I just can't see West Ham or the Arsenal doing it!

Mind you, they do seem to have a loyal following, especially given that they were a manufactured team when they started. I suppose there is a lack of anyone else to follow round here, unless you go up to Chelsea or Fulham, which is a good hour. Millwall is actually easier to get to, but....

Not having a decent local team to support I had my interest developed from reading the Charlie Buchan Football Monthly and as my first idol was Stanley Matthews I sort of became a fan of Blackpool.  In those days neither we nor any of my friends had television so I didn't get to see any players except in books or magazines until I went to see Stan play for Blackpool against Arsenal and although that was fifty years ago the memory is just as strong.  Do Blackpool still play??

The second proper game I watched was when Machester United beat Arsenal 5-4 at Highbury a week before the Munich crash.  That day the United team had Harry Gregg, Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman, Tommy Taylor, David Pegg and Bobby Charlton (full head of blonde hair) playing.

A few years later I lived in Putney so used to watch Chelsea one week and Fulham the next, in the days when Barry Bridges, Eddie McCreadie and the Harris's played for Chelsea and Haynes, Macedo and Bobby Robson played for Fulham.  My favourite player from those days would have to be Denis Law.  Player I most disliked would have to be Arsenals left back Denis Evans who clattered Stanley Matthews over the touchline in the first few minutes of that first game I ever watched.  Anybody else held a grudge longer than that?

[quote user="Weedon"]

.  Player I most disliked would have to be Arsenals left back Denis Evans who clattered Stanley Matthews over the touchline in the first few minutes of that first game I ever watched.  Anybody else held a grudge longer than that?

[/quote]

Yeah, my mum (see above) and against your hero, too!!! She'll still tell you we was robbed and she's 88 next week!!!!