Big Brother

Will

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="Dotty "]

Come on if folk really believe the masses in UK are just like Jade, then what is the world coming to.

[/quote]

Sadly Dotty (well certainly where I live) an awful lot are...

Kathie
[/quote]

Perhaps they are the ignorant, uneducated ones. to believe that anyway

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]What scares me is that Jade Goody represents so much that I have spent my professional life trying to overcome! She is unintelligent, unrepentantly ignorant, crude and unpleasant and she becomes a millionaire and widely admired by other unintelligent and ignorant people who now believe that you don't need to work or improve yourself to be successful you just have to distill all of your negative characteristics and display them as often and as loudly as possible.

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with this; the frightening thing is the number of kids who think that they have a good chance of achieving "celebrity" status through this type of programme. So much so that they can't be bothered with achievable, worthwhile goals.

http://education.independent.co.uk/news/article338257.ece

Oops, just realised this was covered earlier!

[quote user="hastobe"]
I hear what you are saying about parental influences Katie - but why oh why have people made a celebrity of her???  She is hardly someone to aspire to.  Its almost an inverted sense of pride some people seem to have in being an ignorant ***.

[/quote]

I hate the whole concept as much as you do but I think the reason for Jade's celebrity status is that she shows that it's possible for someone who's stupid,ignorant, ill mannered and a foul mouthed bully to be rich and famous without any effort or skill. In other words you don't need to work hard or be good at anything you just need to be lucky and in the right place. It's a very similar philosophy to the feeling that you're going to win the lottery and I believe that research shows that a similar proportion of young people(similar to the percentage mentioned in the Independent article above)  think that this is going to happen to them.

Blige me, I have just had a look to see what all the hoo-ha was about and I have never, ever seen anything so cringe worthy as seeing what I guess was the two antagonists, smooching up together.

Now call me a cynic but this absolutely reeked of that Big Bro having had a word with them both and explained all what was happening and just how frightened the producers are of police action, so get back and tell the public just how much you two love each other.

Sorry but do people really watch this for an hour ? I said on another site, let me know when the Lions and Chariots appear, until then, I have now gone back to reading my book and listening and half watching Folk Hibernia on BBC 4......that quite small viewing of that programme made me wonder about, well things .......................

I am quite surprised you don't like it Miki.  It is rather like watching the forum.  Instead of the diary room we have:

MOD HAT ON

Blah di blah di blah

MOD HAD OFF.

In fact, if the forum was BB, you are the most likely candidate to play Jade. Why?  Because you are always shouting at people[:-))]

[quote user="KathyC"]

[quote user="hastobe"]
I hear what you are saying about parental influences Katie - but why oh why have people made a celebrity of her???  She is hardly someone to aspire to.  Its almost an inverted sense of pride some people seem to have in being an ignorant ***.

[/quote]

I hate the whole concept as much as you do but I think the reason for Jade's celebrity status is that she shows that it's possible for someone who's stupid,ignorant, ill mannered and a foul mouthed bully to be rich and famous without any effort or skill. In other words you don't need to work hard or be good at anything you just need to be lucky and in the right place. It's a very similar philosophy to the feeling that you're going to win the lottery and I believe that research shows that a similar proportion of young people(similar to the percentage mentioned in the Independent article above)  think that this is going to happen to them.

[/quote]

Hate is a bit of strong word isn't it?

How do we know if there is no effort involved in counting all that dosh, perhaps she has a gruelling schedule.

And does the Independant reveil where they get their statistics from?  Oh of course everything you read in the papers must be true.[;-)]

What I always felt about Jade was that what she lacked in academic education she sort of made up for in application. I think she has had two reality TV shows based on her - her beauty salon and her search for a PA and written ( ghosted ) a book. She also promotes her perfume etc, so in some ways that 'work hard to succeed' message could be positive.

Doesn't excuse the way she behaved in any way though - she has let herself down so badly.

For Dotty...

...with apologies to those who really don’t care what I think Dotty

thinks I said…[:D]

Dotty – it went like this (and my apologies if it wasn’t

obvious to you or others what I was doing):

Patmobile wrote:

Actually, I meant that perhaps the pupils themselves, and

their parents, regard the qualifications as having little worth. That's why

they all want to be "celebrities" rather than pass any exams at

school, or go into higher education.  This is how you get the underclass -

ultimately, they are not convinced the schools can offer them anything useful,

- and the responsibility for that rests with.....?

With what had been said before, I think - and I may be wrong - that Patmobile was suggesting

that  the responsibility ... rests with..... teachers. I don’t think so. So I

answered his responsibility question by saying that – paraphrasing now – I

thought they (this underclass) had a belief that fame and money should be handed over

without having to do anything difficult. Perhaps (for this underclass) it wasn’t so much a lack of

belief in the value of qualifications, simply a reluctance to work hard to achieve

them. That hard work with intent to achieve wasn’t respected

whereas appearing on a reality tv show or going out with a footballer was.

So I didn’t understand where the comments about

inherited money were coming from. “It” Girls may have their own unique

challenges [:P] but they don’t fall into my definition of an underclass.

[quote user="Just Katie "]

I am quite surprised you don't like it Miki.  It is rather like watching the forum.  Instead of the diary room we have:

MOD HAT ON

Blah di blah di blah

MOD HAD OFF.

In fact, if the forum was BB, you are the most likely candidate to play Jade. Why?  Because you are always shouting at people[:-))]

[/quote]

Oh no....my worst fears, the nightmare that I hoped would never arrive..........................................Katie is the latest new Mod !!

I never shout at people, not my style moosh, I chat and I debate and I enjoy.....................will you ban me early in a get tough wiv 'em all sweep up ? [:)][;-)]

[quote user="catalpa"]

For Dotty...

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->...with apologies to those who really don’t care what I think Dotty thinks I said…[:D] <!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Dotty – it went like this (and my apologies if it wasn’t obvious to you or others what I was doing): <!--[endif]-->

Patmobile wrote:
Actually, I meant that perhaps the pupils themselves, and their parents, regard the qualifications as having little worth. That's why they all want to be "celebrities" rather than pass any exams at school, or go into higher education.  This is how you get the underclass - ultimately, they are not convinced the schools can offer them anything useful, - and the responsibility for that rests with.....?

With what had been said before, I think - and I may be wrong - that Patmobile was suggesting that  the responsibility ... rests with..... teachers. I don’t think so. So I answered his responsibility question by saying that – paraphrasing now – I thought they (this underclass) had a belief that fame and money should be handed over without having to do anything difficult. Perhaps (for this underclass) it wasn’t so much a lack of belief in the value of qualifications, simply a reluctance to work hard to achieve them. That hard work with intent to achieve wasn’t respected whereas appearing on a reality tv show or going out with a footballer was.

So I didn’t understand where the comments about inherited money were coming from. “It” Girls may have their own unique challenges [:P] but they don’t fall into my definition of an underclass.

[/quote]

Its all getting very confusing [blink]

I think, having reread your post I hadn't fully understood what you where saying and how.  You have made it much clearer now its all together.

[quote user="Just Katie "]I know you just love a debate Miki.  Sorry about that comment, I just enjoy sailing close to the wind sometimes.  Ban you? Nah, I would be really controversial and ban SB and have the place in REAL wooty uproar.  Can you imagine it?[/quote]

Never be sorry with friends......do nothing to damage those ties.....bit of Miki filosoffee there Katie !!

Oh I can imagine the uproar alright .......Save the Essbbee one.........  I do hope she is watching BBC4 tonight and loving it but I bet she is out enjoying herself up the pub with her new English mates. Ah  we are but a distant memoire [:(]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

What I always felt about Jade was that what she lacked in academic education she sort of made up for in application. I think she has had two reality TV shows based on her - her beauty salon and her search for a PA and written ( ghosted ) a book. She also promotes her perfume etc, so in some ways that 'work hard to succeed' message could be positive.

[/quote]

Sorry RH, you must have a different definition of "hard work" from the one I use.

[quote user="Miki"]listening and half watching Folk Hibernia on BBC 4......

[/quote]

Glad to see you have the best possible taste Miki.

I have to admit that I am currently taking little notice of what is actually going on in the BB house. If I was coming to the present tedium without having seen the lead up I think I would turn it off immediately. It's not what is happening now, it's what has happened there before, and is happening in the real world connected with the progamme where the true interests lie. I shall watch the exit interview with Jade but will no doubt wish I hadn't.