I think most of us knew this anyway.

Bugsy

Presidential IQs:
A report published Monday, by the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania, detailed its findings of a four month study of the intelligence quotient of President George W. Bush. Since 1973, the Lovenstein Institute has published its research to the educational community on each new president, which includes the famous "IQ" report among others.
There have been twelve presidents over the past 50 years, from F.D. Roosevelt t o G.W. Bush, who were rated based on scholarly achievements:

1. Writings that they produced without aid of staff.

2. Their ability to speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors, which were then scored using the Swanson/Crain System of intelligence ranking. & nbsp; The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points. In
order by presidential term:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt [D] 142,

Harry S Truman [D] 132,

Dwight David Eisenhower [R] 122

John Fitzgerald Kenne dy [D] 174,

Lyndon Baines Johnson [D] 126,

Richard Milhous Nixon [R] 155,

Gerald R. Ford [R] 121,

James Earle Carter [D] 175,

Ronald Wilson Reagan [R] 105

George Herbert Walker Bush [R] 98,

William Jefferson Clinton [D] 182

George Walker Bush [R] 91

In order of IQ rating:

182 . . William Jefferson Clinton [D]

175 . . James Earle Carter [D]

174 . . John Fitzgerald Kennedy [D]

155 . . Richard Milhous Nixon [R]

147 . . Franklin Delano Roosevelt [D]

132 . . Harry S Truman [D]

126 . . Lyndon Baines Johnson [D]

122 . . Dwight David Eisenhower [R]

121 . . Gerald R. Ford [R]

105 . . Ronald Wilson Reagan [R]

098 . . George Herbert Walker Bush [R]

091 . . George Walker Bush [R]

The six R epublican presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest at 155. President George W. Bush rated the lowest of all the Republicans with an IQ of 91.

The six Democratic presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ of 156, with President Clinton having the highest IQ, at 182. President Lyndon B. Johnson was rated the lowest of all the Democrats with an IQ of 126. No president other than Carter [D] has released his actual IQ (176). Note the institute measured him at 175.

Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President G.W. Bush, his low ratings are due to his apparently difficult command of the English language in public statements, his limited use of vocabulary [6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words for other presidents], his lack of scholarly achievements other than a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work which could be studied on an intellectual basis.
The complete report documents the methods and procedures used to arrive at these ratings, including depth of sentence structure and voice stress confidence analysis.

"All the Presidents prior to George W. Bush had a least one book under their  belt, and most had written several white papers during their education or early careers. Not so with President Bush," Dr. Lovenstein said. "He has no  published works or writings, which made it more difficult to arrive at an assessment. We relied more heavily on transcripts of his unscripted public speaking."

The Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania think tank includes high caliber historians, psychiatrists, sociologists, scientists in human behavior, and psychologists. Among their ranks are Dr. Werner R. Lovenstein,  world-renowned sociologist, and Professor Patricia F.Dilliams, a world-respected psychiatrist. For more information on the Lovenstein  Institute, go to http://lovenstein.org//

The smartest president didn't know enough to keep his pants zipped and the dumbest one thinks he can run a war.

1 - it indicates that you can read and write.

2 - it indicates that you have studied beyond the basic level and have maybe conducted some serious research

3 - it indicates that you realise that being a published authority is important to having public intellectual credibility

4 - it indicates you have some intelligence beyond the average and may have had an advanced education

I suppose it depends on whether or not you value intelligence in your leaders.

And here are just a few items that might even question Mr. Bush's noted IQ (being TOO high):

President Bush: "Peter. Are you going to ask that question with shades on?"
Peter Wallsten of the Los Angeles Times: "I can take them off."
Bush: "I'm interested in the shade look, seriously."
Wallsten: "All right, I'll keep it, then."
Bush: "For the viewers, there's no sun."
Wallsten: "I guess it depends on your perspective."
Bush: "Touche.
--an exchange with legally blind reporter Peter Wallsten, to whom Bush later apologized, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006 (
Watch video clip)

"I said I was looking for a book to read, Laura said you ought to try Camus. I also read three Shakespeares. ... I've got a eck-a-lec-tic reading list." --George W. Bush, interview with NBC's Brian Williams, New Orleans, La., Aug. 29, 2006 (Watch video clip)

"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany." --George W. Bush, D.C., May 5, 2006

"I was not pleased that Hamas has refused to announce its desire to destroy Israel." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 4, 2006

[quote user="Dick Smith"]1 - it indicates that you can read and write.

2 - it indicates that you have studied beyond the basic level and have maybe conducted some serious research

3 - it indicates that you realise that being a published authority is important to having public intellectual credibility

4 - it indicates you have some intelligence beyond the average and may have had an advanced education

[/quote]

Dick,

I consider that I meet the 1,2 and 4 criteria of your list and do not agree with the validity of No 3. The fact that a person in a position of authority has or has not any published works to their name indicates nothing about their qualities of leadership.

I do value intelligence in my leaders, unfortunately a large number do not, in my opinion, demonstrate a very high level. I would suggest however that common sense may be a requirement as well.

I have no particular liking or otherwise in respect of George W Bush, I believe I am right in thinking that he was a fully operational fast jet pilot in the US military and I believe that you don't get to that situation without reading, writing, studying beyond the basic level and demonstrating  intelligence beyond the average . I may of course be wrong, but I don't think so.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Dick Smith"]1 - it indicates that you can read and write.

[/quote]

I have no particular liking or otherwise in respect of George W Bush, I believe I am right in thinking that he was a fully operational fast jet pilot in the US military and I believe that you don't get to that situation without reading, writing, studying beyond the basic level and demonstrating  intelligence beyond the average . I may of course be wrong, but I don't think so.

[/quote]

But see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_military_service_controversy

I simply do not believe the IQ as given, sounds as if they originated from a mate of Bill Clinton. Reagan straightened out the US economy and called the bluff of Soviet Communism thereby destroying it. A far greater president than Clinton. 

[quote user="Renaud"]I simply do not believe the IQ as given, sounds as if they originated from a mate of Bill Clinton. Reagan straightened out the US economy and called the bluff of Soviet Comunisism thereby destroying it. A far greater president than Clinton. [/quote]

He may have developed Alzheimer's but I strongly agree with Renaud. Reagan was a much greater president than Bill Clinton. I blame many of the problems that we have now on Clinton.

Sorry Bugbear (one with the big wellies [:)]) but I also don't believe that this so-called biased study can genuinely determine IQ. In regards to academics, personally, I wouldn't want some academic running the country, intelligence yes but academic no.

[quote user="Renaud"]

Dick, Ho ho ho, would you care to list Clinton's achievments. Or those of that other high IQ - Jimmy Carter?

My point is Regan was a far greater president than either.

[/quote]

A better actor, maybe; president, never!

I don't really think it matters WHO writes his speeches.  The man simply can't speak.  He is an extreme embarrassment.  My 12 year old daughter could give a better speech than this idiot and she doesn't even speak great English !! 

And as to his aircraft flying ability.  I think I'd rather fly with a monkey as pilot than him. 

You'd never guess I don't care for the "man."

[quote user="Lori"]

I don't really think it matters WHO writes his speeches.  The man simply can't speak.  He is an extreme embarrassment.  My 12 year old daughter could give a better speech than this idiot and she doesn't even speak great English !! 

And as to his aircraft flying ability.  I think I'd rather fly with a monkey as pilot than him. 

You'd never guess I don't care for the "man."

[/quote]

Now don't beat about the bush[:P]

Do you like the man, or not?