The Restaurant - Raymond Blanc

Gardian

We watched the 1st episode of this last night without having read up on what it was about.

Unanimous (of two!) decision to give it a big miss tonight.

How such a respected figure got himself involved in such a mediocre, plagiarised piece of nonsense, is beyond me.  Hopefully he doesn't need the money that badly.

A repeat of his 1st (and I think, only) series of maybe 15 years ago would have been 10x more worthwhile, although that was about food & cooking rather than ......... well, whatever that was about last night.  As you might have gathered, we didn't like it much! 

I will be interested to see what input RB actually has as the competition progresses. I'm particularly interested in the restaurant in Frieth which is in easy reach of Marlow, Henley and High Wycombe so should have at least a fighting chance if location counts for anything.

Could be worse - it could be Hells Kitchen..........[:(]

[quote user="Gardian"]

We watched the 1st episode of this last night without having read up on what it was about.

Unanimous (of two!) decision to give it a big miss tonight.

How such a respected figure got himself involved in such a mediocre, plagiarised piece of nonsense, is beyond me.  Hopefully he doesn't need the money that badly.

A repeat of his 1st (and I think, only) series of maybe 15 years ago would have been 10x more worthwhile, although that was about food & cooking rather than ......... well, whatever that was about last night.  As you might have gathered, we didn't like it much! 

[/quote]

Programmes are made to be watched , not just made to  be liked!

Yes, it borrows a lot from The Apprentice (including a follow-up on BBC3 - I think - called 'the restaurant - you're fried'). But it still seems a pointless waste of time and space, attracting some truly dreadful contestants. But maybe that part is intentional; I did rather like the schadenfreude of the so-called 'winners' of yesterday's challenge getting the big budget, which meant a very demanding customer with very high expectations, that they were unable to fulfil, so they ended up the true losers. Whereas the low-budget 'loser' and his customers appeared to have had a really good time. Pity the irritating 'actress' woman and her drumming waste of space partner got through, but I suppose they are needed to provide more good telly in future weeks.

Contrast this topic with the discussions at another forum, where one of the contestants is apparently the brother of a moderator. I think that if any of our moderators were involved in such a load of c***, this forum would not stoop to the sort of sycophancy seen over there...

Couldn't agree more.  Having seen the trailer didn't even bother to watch the first 5 minutes.  Are programme makers so bereft of ideas (or too lazy) to create interesting/educational/watchable programmes that they just insit on rehashing a well known format?  Or is it the enormous egos of the chefs that they cannot bear one of them to have TV success without insisting that it is their due too?  It reminds me of the now (almost dead and buried) home makeover/DIY show.  We were innundated with more and more drivel until even the producers realised that no-one in the country wanted to watch yet another makeover show.

Did anyone see "A child of our time"  a few nights ago?  This is a new series I think which builds on the success of the last one which followed a group of children from their early years to their 40's.  It was a great social/historical commentary IMHO and this latest series I hope will be as good.  The child who particularly impressed me was the little girl who had been born around 3 months prematurely?  Did anyone else see it?

[quote user="Will"]

I think that if any of our moderators were involved in such a load of c***, this forum would not stoop to the sort of sycophancy seen over there...

[/quote]

Sycophancy towards Mods on here?  No chance of that Will.