Booze free Christmas

Meg

Off to UK for Christmas. I'm a bit stumped what to do with this non booze scenario. My family all drink a lot and we will be off to a few socials as-well. For me Christmas day was the one day when drink can be consumed from breakfast time onwards. But apart from that, i guess they'll be no mince pies, mulled wine, champers, Xmas pud, Xmas cake, brandy butter, trifle and other alcohol puds or the ridiculously expensive Remy Martin. [:'(] Oh and I'm not eating much fatty icky stuff either! All of which will be available by the bucket load.

What on earth am i going to eat/drink?!

After all they do say eat, drink and be merry!

And Santa can damn well make do with a glass of water and an orange this year. (yes i do still leave him something.......[:$])

Edited my last post as i was trying to convince myself that its OK to have an odd drink this Christmas, and also to ease the 'discomfort' that my not drinking will cause my family. But nope, its no excuse, if they're feeling awkward because i am not drinking it isn't my problem, it's theirs! And if i remain strong and set an example to prove it isn't necessary to drink then it may just make them think a bit more about their habits. And you never know might give them a few more years of life! And if i can get through it not drinking it'll be a huge achievement for me personally!

So, anyone got any nice, booze free, healthy (ish), Christmas flavour type food or drink recipes? (or survival plans?)

Appletize is a nice refeshing drink, and you could spice it up with cranberry juice etc. I wish you well - it won't be easy. One of the hardest things about being sober when others are drinking is that the level of conversation drops to boring and repetitive. What about volunteering to help in a hospital or old age home for a few hours?

Actually Pat, I love to see people tipsy around me.  Arrange some game that you know they would be rubbish at like tonguetwisters or that tower game that topples over.  You could even be really devillish and make it interesting with a fiver on the side and thwrump em all!!

Well why not? [blink]

That'll learn em. [:D]

If you are in the UK meg ( I presume so because of the mince pies/pudding etc ??) You can buy loads of special fizzy drinks such as Elderflower, Ginger- all made by Dutchy Originals ( and other organic type companies).

The secret is in serving in a nice wine or champagne glass. You could refill just as quicly as the others in the house, but it will be more special than a glass of orange juice!!

They're not very cheap, but cheaper than a bottle of wine!

If you are in France I'm sure they must have something similar???

By the way....well done, you must be noticing a lot of difference to your health by now![:)]

Cool attitude Moggy...like you said; it's their problem not yours. I 'remember' Christmas & New Year just being one long binge...great example to set the kids eh? This year is the first one alone and it'll be spent getting stuck in to more productive stuff & probably doing some tabbing & working out...booze simply isn't a worry so no probs there.

I aint playing any games with you JK, you're just a hustler.

Meggie, you've done really well. Brilliant in fact! [:D] As you're in the UK, have a good look in the supermarkets as they have a vast array of lovely non alcoholic drinks. Not just the N/A beer & wine, which is probably best left anyway.[;-)] Barring that have a Google for N/A cocktails. Here's one site for your perusal. http://www.cocktail.uk.com/db/viewAllCocktails.asp?type=4

Keep it up girl! x

Meg

Best wishes for your Christmas, I feel for your prediciment as you are far stronger than I am, in that I am off the booze, but plan to have a glass of Champagne on Christmas day. I don't think that one is so lacking in will-power that the occasional drink will result in a return to a life of  debauchery etc. However I otherwise plan to stick to the exotic juice mixtures as sold by M&S. I think that Nicos has good advice and In will be trying his suggestions.

I doubt that there is much, if any, alcohol in mince pies, Christmas cakes or even in Christmas pudding as any alcohol added tends to burn off in cooking, so if you are steering clear of these it will be more that you don't like them. Fatty icky stuff maybe. Does Mog get a special roasted mouse?

Having already been to a couple of  festive gatherings, I found it quite relaxing to stay sober whilst everybody else were getting pie-eyed, at least the drive home is less exciting.

Thanks for the suggestions! Its annoying because i really would like to be able to have just the one on Christmas day, as it would be special and with people i love and I do want to drink again, but only occasionally and like 'normal' folk, so it would be a nice situation for my first drink. But i feel i should set an example to the rest of them that it can be done? (even if it means pretending i'm having a great time!) I am definitely going to get some grief about it. I suppose that why i really wanted a focus. Will be interesting, i haven't been in a social situation sober before, so i guess all the more reason not to back out at the first trial.

As for pud and pies and cake, its more to do with the taste of the alcohol which worries me. AND like you can have Xmas pud without half a bottle of brandy burning away on it!

OOOHHH and no liqueur choccies! [:'(]

Mog is being abandoned in France with himself, so will probably resort to catching his own dinner........[:D]

[quote user="Just Katie"]So what would happen if you had a glass of wine with your meal, then lingered on a brandy for an hour, then had say two cans of lager over the rest of the evening? [/quote]

ummm................cos it doesn't quite work like that! [:$]

[quote user="Meg "]

[/quote]

Meg, you came up with your own answer to your own question a few posts ago, and this post confirms it in a way.

If I'm reading you right you might never be able to be a 'social'

drinker again. You can't possibly 'know' that for now, but I feel

fairly safe in saying Christmas/New Year are not the occasions to test yourself.  

Have you worked out a very short and simple 'thing' to say to people

who are offering you booze? Something like 'no thanks' might do the

trick, but I realise some people are insistent. It's because they don't

understand.[:D]

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Meg "]

[/quote]

Meg, you came up with your own answer to your own question a few posts ago, and this post confirms it in a way.

If I'm reading you right you might never be able to be a 'social'

drinker again. You can't possibly 'know' that for now, but I feel

fairly safe in saying Christmas/New Year are not the occasions to test yourself.  

Have you worked out a very short and simple 'thing' to say to people

who are offering you booze? Something like 'no thanks' might do the

trick, but I realise some people are insistent. It's because they don't

understand.[:D][/quote]

Yep, i hear you Tresco.

Umm what to say, not sure yet. Yep people are definitely more insistent at Christmas too i guess....'go on just one it IS Christmas' etc. Any 'am I pregnant' comments tho and they may have to have a slap![:D] 

Honesty i guess? Definitely will make folks uncomfortable though. But where does lying get anyone?

No it's not that they don't understand, it's because they feel guilty drinking while you aren't. Sorry to be cynical but it's a dangerous situation for anyone who has been off alcohol for a few months. Meg, you've done so well, be aware of the risks (which I think you are.)