Risks of Living

Deimos

(I could not think of a better title).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7234220.stm

Strikes me that doing most things in life carry a degree of risk.  Doing different things carry different risks.  What you do and thus the risks you take are often your own choice.  Virtually noting is 100% safe.  If you chose to go skiing you accept that there is a higher risk than sitting at home reading a book but it is your choice.  Travelling can also carry a higher risk e.g. sitting in the garden.  Even though something seems moderately safe there is some still some degree of risk and strikes me that when you chose to do something you accept that risk.

So, assuming there is no negligence involved, when you chose to get on a plane you accept there is a risk of some (possibly serious) event.  So when it makes a crap landing it is unfortunate but "that's life" but you have already accepted that risk.

So I really disappoints me I see people starting to sue over the BA crash last month.  There is no allegation (that I have seen) that there is negligence or even that it was BA's fault.  Just they are traumatised and want cash.  If they are so sensitive to life's events maybe they should have stayed at home.  they took the risk, it did not go they way.

In fact, even if negligence was involved it is maybe just another factor affecting the "risk".  People make mistakes.  They always have, and probably always will.  things get missed sometimes.  Unfortunate but part of life.

I really hope this attitude goes away soon.

Ian

I was horrified & disgusted when I heard about this law suit being taken against BA.  I can understand how the guy may have become traumatized after the event - but get help for it, from a doctor ..... don't sue the company whos staff probably saved your life!!

Deimos says

I hope this attitude goes away soon.

That is highly unlikely, Deimos.  Is it my imagination or are people getting greedier and more litigious?

I was watching daytime Brit TV today (not something I normally do, but OH had it on and I was having a cup of tea in the sitting-room) and there was an advert encouraging people who'd met with an accident to try and get "compensation" on a "no win, no fee" basis.  If that's not encouraging greed and irresponsible involvement of the legal process, I don't know what is.

Thus you get soldiers, firemen, teachers, you-name-it suing for all sorts of risks and "trauma" that they experience at work.  You'd think they'd no idea when they took on these jobs that there will be a certain amount of stress and challenges that go with the territory, as it were.

Nowadays, it seems that there is always someone to blame.  Perhaps it's because, as we get more secular and more cushioned through increasing prospertiy from the vicissitudes of life, we forget that there are such things as Acts of God, accidents or just sheer bad luck.  It's always this "why me?" attitude instead of "why not me?"  Why can't we accept that dreadful things happen all over the world everyday to all sorts of people and the chances are that one day, they may well happen to us?

The last line of the article states..........Personal injury lawyers have said passengers who had been traumatised by their experience could claim up to £85,000 on a "no-fault basis".

I think it more likely the ambulance chasing solicitors pushing the case on a no win no fee basis...........

[quote user="PeterG"]

The last line of the article states..........Personal injury lawyers have said passengers who had been traumatised by their experience could claim up to £85,000 on a "no-fault basis".

I think it more likely the ambulance chasing solicitors pushing the case on a no win no fee basis...........

[/quote]Yes, and if they bandy a figure of £85k around then the airline will feel relieved if they get away with 50!  What a world we live in...  I'm afraid that things have gone bonkers since legal aid was all but abolished - now this is the only way to get compensation and these ambulance chasers are making a fortune from people who once upon a time would never have thought of bringing such actions.  Humph.

[quote user="Deimos"] If you chose to go skiing you accept that there is a higher risk than sitting at home reading a book but it is your choice.
[/quote]

Not if you live in my house. There I was reading a book by the fire and I put a log on the fire, getting a splinter in my finger.  One week later, my finger was as big as my thumb.  I skied for a few years and the only injury was my pride when I skied into the only tree on a green run!  (I reckon that the tree had a magnet on it....)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Deimos says

I hope this attitude goes away soon.

That is highly unlikely, Deimos.  Is it my imagination or are people getting greedier and more litigious?

[/quote]

I wonder if it is the changes that allow people to sue for compensation that make is such a good way to get rich quick (i.e. quicker than working for it).  I guess it is a difficult balance as there are bound to be cases where compensation is rightly due.  Trouble is how to exclude those who basically "deserve nothing" - 'cos my opinion of each case would not count for much.

I question this "No Win, No Fee" system as I suspect it might encourage people to sue when there is really no case.  However, on the other side of the coin, the layers are only likely to take those cases where they are likely to win.  If they take too many "No wins" they end up with loads of work and "No fees".  I assume most of these people are looking to settle with an insurance company "out-of-court".

Maybe if there were some system whereby if somebody sues and their case is deemed to by "money grabbing" (e.g. by a magistrate or judge or somebody independent", then the individual has to pay some significant fine (basically something to pass a degree of risk to the private individual).  I like to think I would not pursue such claims as I am generally keen to get on with my life (too much to do and too little time to do it in and certainly no time to waste on such daft activities).  You can see how some people faced with a "no risk" i.e. to some "get between 0 and loads of cash" is a no brainer.  Change that to get between - a significant number to plus a reasonable number and they might think twice about their case.

Again, UK is so PC these days I suspect that all is lost for any sanity in such matters.

I must confess to not knowing much about the French system but I do have the impression it is less  "opportunistic".  I have the (maybe incorrect) impression that whilst they might need to attribute blame more than UK/US, the compensation is more restricted and generally has to show a real loss.  Thus, have to be off work for a week recovering and in the UK you might expect £100 000 because you were uncomfortable whereas in France you might get 5 days pay as that is what you actually lost (and maybe a few medical bills is appropriate) - expect little or nothing to make-up for the discomfort.

Ian

Splinters, don't make me larf !

You have no idea of the risks wot we all unknowingly take with our lives every day....never mind the best efforts of BA.

A year or two ago I visited my ole Dad in Warwickshire, to help him install himself in his new flat.

We went out to B+Q (taking a chance in itself) and bought some self assembly pine shelves to install in his cupboard.

Well, you can imagine my horreur, when, half way through trying to put them together, I fell upon a Warning Notice which said (and this is true!):

" Danger Wood Products may contain Splinters"

Well, you can imagine my shock...and I had no idea I wos unwittingly taking such risks. We counted ourselves lucky when we had screwed the contraption together without wounding, neither of us needed the ambulance and naturally we didn't bother with the no win no fee lawyers neither.

I say, where is Ron Avery anyway.......?

It's just the way it is in UK now, everything must be someone elses fault and they must be made to pay, even if no real harm has been done or injury suffered.

About 6 or 7 years ago I was involved in a serious road smash, where, travelling perfectly legally at 60mph, I "T" boned" another car which pulled out in front of me. Thankfully neither of us were injured save a few bruises from the seat belt in my case yet my insurance company badgered me persistently to make a claim for personal injury which I refused to do because I would have been false.

Like thousands of other people........... I have witnessed some prety horrific incidents where people were killed in large numbers and know what it is like to suffer loss of sleep etc  after witnessing these events ...but ...unlike today we were never rushed off to trauma councillors ....or  even gave a thought to seeking compensation for the horrors we witnessed .....We had a "duty " to perform did it... then afterwards  got together with our mates ....We drank more than we perhaps should have after these events ... we got over it ...and got on with life . As has already been mentioned these BA passengers got to walk away from this one ...they should have just  gone for a drink and raised a glass to each others good fortune ...they have already won all they could possibly  want ....life !