Emails ?

Russethouse

Hi Gay!

Ummm- it depends if there's important information in them like phone numbers or songs I have to rehearse that I'm too lazy to note or store elsewhere.  I think I currently have about 30 in my inbox which I will eventually delete once I've finished referring to them - only to be replaced by new ones[:$]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Just out of interest - how long do you keep your emails before you delete them? [/quote]

I'm ruthless. I delete all regularly, apart from a monumental, still unresolved e-mail row with one sister, which leaves me with 15 every time.

Anything I have read and do not need to act on goes immediately.

Anything with information like telephone numbers is transfered immediately I open it.

Things like ferry bookings with reference numbers are moved to a folder called KEEP and cut and pasted to a word document as well.

Stuff I need to gather information on before I reply sits in the in box. Normally only about 15 items

In Hotmail there is an option called 'Move To' - This shows a list of the folders you currently have plus a folder called 'NewFolder' if you type in a name for the newfolder for instance 'Bookings2008' or 'BoringHO' you can then tick and transfer the relevant Emails to that folder.

Wanadoo / Orange is nearly identical 'Transfer' et 'Nouvel Dossier' from memory.

Depending on how you mentally file things you may find storing a months worth of stuff or sorting by project a better way to go.

Fear not Gay, I have 1082 mails stored in my inbox, and I've already read and deleted 30 this morning.  I've then got "quite a few" more in email folders.  The search facility works well, I can always find what I'm looking for, so I don't usually bother filing them away anywhere else.

I have no emails in my Inbox. I file them in an appropriate folder, together with my replies, as soon as I've read/sent  them, so they are easy to find again. I have lots of folders, i.e. "Friends", each of which has sub folders for each contact, plus one catch-all folder, "Other", for infrequent contacts.

If I'm corresponding with several people on a similar topic, say dealing on Ebay, I create a sub folder in, say, "Ebay Sales" for each one, and delete these a few days later it if the deal is not completed.

I use a program (Express Assist) which automatically creates a scheduled backup copy of all my Outlook Express files (I have it set to do this weekly), and allows me to access or restore any of these backed-up messages or folders at any time in the future. About once a month I delete all but the last 2 or 3 of these backups.

As my system results in a rather large number of folders, once every year or so I move the current weekly OE backup to a separate folder on my Backup disc, so I don't accidently delete it. 

I then delete all the non active folders, plus all old messages I don't feel I need in the active folders.

I set the folder views to 7, 14, or 35 days, or "View All" as seems individually appropriate, so I only see recent mail.

Occasionally I find I need to refer to a deleted message, e.g. When did Fred say he would come down here?, so it's good to know I can do this quite easily.

Edit. clarify

I have been filing and deleting so I am now down to 630 in my inbox, then I'll tackle the folders - what is needed, what isn't etc, however I am thinking of trying to do more my google mail which now seems to keep emails tidy, automatically. For example I emailed a group and I see that all the replies are accessed by clicking on the original, I just scroll down and there they are........

Also it gives me access to my contacts and old emails when I'm elsewhere......