Oh Frenchie - it hasn't taken him long

Kitty

Don't underestimate the power of the Sun.  It may only have a vocabulary of around 800 words but it is written by sub-editors that have very good English degrees (or is this an Urban myth?) In any case, The Sun determines which flavour government we will have next. Also don't forget in the 1980's and into the '90s that the picture on page three determined which way stirling was going on that day. 

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]...but it is written by sub-editors that have very good English degrees (or is this an Urban myth?) [/quote]

No, it's not. I used to know a couple of Sun journalists who had degrees, were really Guardian / Observer readers and they took their jobs extremely seriously - though they said that the efforts to come up with the headlines and sub headings were a scream - but they did not show the contempt for the people they were writing for that "people like us on this thread" often do.

[quote]but they did not show the contempt for the people they were writing for that "people like us on this thread" often do.[/quote]

A loaded statement, Catalpa!

With the money spent on education in the UK and the endless opportunities for intellectual self-improvement; free libraries; exceptionally cheap and often free adult education, why is it that illiteracy and inumeracy are growth areas?

Sadly, almost from birth, UK citizens are now bombarded by a non-stop torrent of moronic adulterated English and endless diatribes extolling the wonders of this celeb and that celeb and this footballer or spotty faced coke snorting "Musician", etc thanks to the printed and broadcast mass media, with no requirement to improve.

I have no problem with anyone's free choices in terms of behaviour, consumption, morals, whatever.

Until it affects me.............

And it does socially, economically and in my business.

Worst of all, these ignorami can vote: and their vote is weighted level with mine

"Democracy is the worst form of government - but it's better than all the rest" (I'm sure that Churchill quote is not quite accurate) - sums it up.  Sun readers - whatever you may think of them - have as much right to decide who governs them, as anybody else. You'll just have to learn to live with it, Gluey!

[quote user="cooperlola"]he already has the public's respect and would have a queue of women after him, even if he were 20 stone, totally bald and as wrinkly as a prune.)[/quote]

Coops, you made me laugh.  If he were 20 stone, how can he then be as wrinkly as a prune?  I thought it's your face or your derriere, that is, you're either fat and keep a wrinkle-free face but have a big bum or you're thin, have a face like a prune and have a smallish tightish behind?

I can't help feeling we are a bit off post here, but hey ho:

In answer to gluestick, is our education in the UK that good, and is the reward/motivation for self-improvement there?, results would seem to indicate not, despite education, education, education.

Since it does appear celebrity is the opium of the masses now, it shows what interest government holds for the masses, so you needn't worry about your vote there gluestick!
Peeps can't be accused of not voting, and outvoting the intelligent.[blink]
Certainly whoever voted the last lot in has a bit to answer for, when did the phrase 'last one out turn out the lights' originate?

Sweet 17 I hate to say it but I have seen some very large and wrinkly thighs on the beaches (not mine of course) [8-|]

[quote user="now just john "]

Sweet 17 I hate to say it but I have seen some very large and wrinkly thighs on the beaches (not mine of course) [8-|]

[/quote]

Ugh!!!  Just as well I had my dinner early today, isn't it?

[quote user="cooperlola"]"Democracy is the worst form of government - but it's better than all the rest" (I'm sure that Churchill quote is not quite accurate) - sums it up.  Sun readers - whatever you may think of them - have as much right to decide who governs them, as anybody else. You'll just have to learn to live with it, Gluey![/quote]

He made two rather famous comments on democracy, JE.

“It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.”

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”

The second quote sums up the ethos behind my earlier comment rather well.................

[:D]

[quote user="now just john "]Most of the time a remarkable man, but I shouldn't say he always got it right,
ask the miners in Wales what they thought about him.[/quote]

Churchill has always been a hero of mine.  Whilst Macca is sunning himself on a beach aged 65, at the same age Churchill became Prime Minister  Pretty amazing.

[quote user="now just john "]Most of the time a remarkable man, but I shouldn't say he always got it right,
ask the miners in Wales what they thought about him.[/quote]

On can level a number of accusations against Churchill: he was arrogant; he was self-focussed; the list is endless.

Gallipoli perhaps was WSC's worst decision.

During WWII he defended his choice of Naval adviser despite criticisms of the man's illogical and irrational decisions and behaviour and the various disasters which flowed from this.

It was later discovered that the poor man was suffering from a brain tumour and then was relieved.

Churchill had one powerful and singular advantage: his power of rhetoric. Perhaps no other politician of his age would have enjoyed the charisma and ability to motivate everyone and lead Britain, against all odds to destroy the threat of German invasion (Operation Sealion).

He suffered a coronary whilst negotiating Lend Lease with Roosevelt in Washington. His medical adviser insisted that he instantly went into hospital.

"My dear man," WSJ said, " If you believe I can go into hospital when the fate of my country hangs in the balance you are sadly mistaken!"

During the war and later on, he suffered  stroke: this was concealed from the public for some time.

Churchill was an orator of matchless skill and ability, despite his obvious speech impediments.

Oh that politicians today could share such ability and wit and force and presence.