AVG (vers.8.0) available now

Bugsy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this now free indefinitely??. I downloaded it about 2 months ago and it was only valid for 30 or 45 days - I don't remember the exact number of days. I ran it for a few weeks and it seemed pretty stable. When the time was coming to an end, I uninstalled and went back to 7.5 If it now runs for free into the future I will go back to it

Regards

Followed you advice and downloaded the free version. just one or two points to anyone else trying to do this.

First, it works well on a laptop using Windows XP, no problems so far...

But on a laptop with Vista a slightly different story. Before beginning you need to make sure your Vista is up to date. When I then loaded AVG 8 it knocked out my internet security, and after trying different tweeks I could not get it to return. (followed all the AVG forum recommendations). Eventually I returned to 7.5 on this machine. If anyone has any more ideas on how to get it to work properly with Vista and HP totalcare, I will try again.

What else do you do when it's raining???[geek]

I had problems loading it onto my laptop that's Vista. First failed attempt was caused by a missing patch, so loaded that. Several more failed attempts & it turned out that it couldn't replace AVG 7.5. So I unloaded that manually & now all is working perfectly. [:D] (That's with a now defunct Norton still on my machine, as I daren't try & remove that.)

I like the new version, well done Grisoft! [8-|]

Biggest difference is that AVG AV version 8 includes Antispyware - before you had to install each separately.  The separate free AVG Antispyware and AVG AV 7.5 will shortly cease to be supported so you'll HAVE to install version 8.

Loaded AVG AV 8.0 a couple of days ago on a PC with Vista.  With Vista you need to manually uninstall the existing version 7.5 - just use the "Add or Remove Programmes" Windows feature as usual.

No problem when I loaded version 8 except it uninstalled AVG Antirootkit in the process.  This is no longer supplied free by AVG so I could not reinstall it.

I could not find another free antirootkit that worked with Vista so I've dumped  AVG in favour of Avast.  Avast includes Antivirus, Antirootkit and Antispyware all in one.

If you're having problems installing AVG 8.0 (or anything else, for that matter) on Vista make sure you are installing it as administrator.  This involves right clicking on the exe file and then clicking "Run as Administrator" (or similar - I don't have the exact English wording as my Vista is French).  I'm told you should ALWAYS install downloads like this as administrator if your OS is Vista,  otherwise some parts of the application may not be loaded.  This is not the same as being logged in as administrator, BTW.

I've been using Avast for the last 3 years, it automatically downloads a definition update just about every day, is very unobtrusive, and if run alongside Spybot gives a very high level of protection. 

And they're both free [:)] 

[quote user="Cat"]

I've been using Avast for the last 3 years, it automatically downloads a definition update just about every day, is very unobtrusive, and if run alongside Spybot gives a very high level of protection. 

[/quote]

There's a coincidence - I'm running Spybot alongside as well, since yesterday, at NormanH's suggestion.

At present I have AVG7.5, Spybot and Adaware. They seem to give a high level of protection.

What does "no longer support AVG 7.5" mean?

When/if you UNinstall 7.5, can't you get it NOT to uninstall the antiroot kit?

And what IS an antiroot kit?

[quote user="trees 2"]At present I have AVG7.5, Spybot and Adaware. They seem to give a high level of protection.

What does "no longer support AVG 7.5" mean?

[/quote]

It means they'll soon stop updating virus definitions and you'll not be protected from new viruses

[quote user="trees 2"]

When/if you UNinstall 7.5, can't you get it NOT to uninstall the antiroot kit?

[/quote]

No

[quote user="trees 2"]

And what IS an antiroot kit?

[/quote]

Software to protect you from rootkits.

I have been using AVG 8.00 for the past week and it is an improvement on the 7.5 version.  However, on my computer the recommended the daily auto scan takes about 2.5 hours as apposed to 45 minutes previously, but it carries out far more checks. The reason that they recommend auto scan rather than fast scan is that you can still use you computer without slowing down your usage and this is certainly a great  improvement on 7.5.

Baz

Daily scans, however long they take, are completely ridiculous and unneccessary.

If the AV programme is kept up to date and is doing it's job then after the initial complete scan it should pick up any nasties at the point of arrival and therefore it should never be neccessary to do a complete scan again !

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Daily scans, however long they take, are completely ridiculous and unneccessary.

If the AV programme is kept up to date and is doing it's job then after the initial complete scan it should pick up any nasties at the point of arrival and therefore it should never be neccessary to do a complete scan again !

[/quote]

Although, ErnieY I do understand your rationale and I am no computer expert but as the AVG is already programmed by the company to run both daily scans and updates, surely they feel it is needed. You can override the programme  and you have the option to decide what time the programme runs so I prefer to follow the manufacturers recommendation and be safe.

Baz

Whatever make you feel comfortable Baz however these programmes tend to assume a worst case belt and braces default which might possibly, and only possibly, be warranted if one were routinely visiting "dodgy sites", downloading hooky software or recklessly opening mails with unsolicited attachments etc, all the sort of things I'm sure you would never do, but even then, if AVG failed to catch the nasties as they arrived why would it get them on a full scan ?

The only time I ever do a full scan is if I do suspect something may have crept in unnoticed but I'd say that amounted to no more than once or twice a year and to date, apart from the odd tracking cookies which are really are pretty harmless and can be deleted by the browser itself, I cannot remember the last ime I found something of significance which AVG hasn't already dealt with at the time.

One thing to bear in mind is that for those 2.5 hours daily AVG is thrashing your hard drive mercilessly and to an extent that it would almost never encounter in routine day to day use so don't be too surprised if it fails sooner than you might imagine. This is not scaremongering but pure physical fact. A hard drive is a mechanical device and WILL eventually fail, it's just a question of when [:(]

As I say though, whatever lets you sleep at night..............[:D]

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been using AVG in its various forms on several computers for some time without any problems.  Have just cleaned out the 7.5 and installed AVG 8.00 (twice!) and initially it worked fine.  However, the last few times I have started up the computer, the screen resolution has defaulted to 4 bits colour and 800x600.  It is not possible to change this resolutions via any means. 

System is completely up to date XP and a Nvidia 7600gt video card, again with the latest Nvidia driver. I built the system 8 months ago (Shuttle) and this is the first time this sort of thing has happened. The only way to get things back to normal is to restart the system several times.  If AVG does not start, the resolution is fine.  If AVG does start, then the resolution is either degraded or fine.  Have CCleaner and Advanced Windows Care which have both been run after each install/de- install.

Has anyone else had similar problems/ideas

Thanks in advance.