The changes in Taxe d'habitation financed by new valeur locative?

NormanH

One of the promises made by President Macron was that 80% of of people will no longer have to pay the taxe d'habitation (that is those with a RFR of less than 20,000€ for a single person or 40,000€ for a couple as just examples)

The problem is of course that that leaves a black hole in the local communes finances. (The government is responsible for this policy, but doesn't give any extra to the local authority to compensate, or not necessarily..it is still vague)

Well-placed sources are now talking about re-valuing the valeur locative that is the notional rental value that serves as the base figure for both the local taxes.

http://www.capital.fr/immobilier/reforme-des-valeurs-locatives-avec-la-taxe-d-habitation-1236714

This could see a big jump in them, in both for those over the threshold and in the Taxe foncière  even for owners who no longer have to pay the other.

Nothing certain yet but be aware..

http://immobilier.lefigaro.fr/article/taxe-d-habitation-les-negociations-avec-les-collectivites-locales-debutent_a4ac34ea-6ad2-11e7-9d9a-1716816d1405/

It has been discussed for some time, Norman, though whether Mr. Jupiter would dare increase taxes when he has been promising to lower them remains to be seen.

He has also told regional and lower levels of goverment to save money. I have a figure of 3 billion in mind but will have to check. Of course they will moan and moan but in fact they spend far too much money.

Ooops, it is 13 billion. Not so difficult.

In my valley there are 5 tiny communes - a few hundred people each. One would be more than enough with one administration and administrator; shared staff and equipment and voluntary care of loval environment by housegolders - eg the grass verges in front and opposite houses as in my little lane. Oh, and fewer fete to which the commune contributes.

And about time too !

I can think of loads of situations not a million kms from here where the VL has never been re-assessed because improvements have been made (without proper permission) and thus no re-assessment.

But then many of the locals haven't hitherto troubled themselves with the bureaucratic niceties.

They will just revise them all upwards by a percentage, it will take no more than a few keystrokes but no doubt a complete new organisation will be created to implement the change.

Proper revaluations for all properties is of course the only fair and equitable thing to do, were I living in a fair and equitable country I would be worried!

I will wait and see what transpires, I'm fairly certain that I will fall in the 80% who will no longer pay as my revenue de reference is only 29% of my actual revenue, if I will be exempt then a revaluation wont make me lose any sleep.

It might even be a trick to create a sort of amnesty, which would result in a proper revaluation albeit voluntary for lots of propertys, then they can just tweak the criteria so the 80% becomes 20%

I think this guy is a shrewd cookie.

I really don't see why it shouldn't or couldn't be a proper re-evaluation. After all, there have been other Commune-wide exercises in recent years (SPANC & the Census) which involve 'participation' by households. Of course there would be situations where people are economical with la verite, but the Mairies have a pretty good idea what people have and what they've done to their properties and could police the returns.

Having said all that, I object to the current methodology. Until recently, our ordures menageres was billed on the basis of the number of adults in the property. Simple and fair. Now, its part of the Taxe d'Hab & accordingly you pay more if your income is higher.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was a fan of the notorious Poll Tax of the Thatcher era. It seemed to me that your local taxation being assessed on your usage of local services based on the number of people in the household, was a fair way of charging. Demonstrable low income provided allowances or even elimination of liability.

Tin hat on !

Re the financial black hole, in our and the surrounding villages we have the new communal bins where from next year we will pay by volume for the amount of rubbish we dispose of. Up to 18 x 60 litre sacs they assure us will generate a bill that will be a saving on the usual yearly bill and will be a set charge but put sac 19 in the bin and the charges kick in. A lot of folk in our village ie older/singles/ holiday homes and some large families didn't have a dustbin and made use of the local dechetterie so had a much smaller bill so I guess there is a fair bit of money to made here for the local finances now that everyone has to pay up. This year we have not had the usual flower tubs dotted around the village so that must be another saving not forking out for plants and as we don't need the daily plant watering chappy one less salary although I have seen him working in the dechetterie. No doubt we will lose the 3 x 3 etoiles flower signs but that means the chappy that comes and washes them wont be needed either - it may not sound much but 'every little helps' the local finance pot! http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance-forums/cs/images/emotions/wink.gif Mrs KG

Well, I'd be really miffed if any revaluation was done on a desktop basis. My house was built and therefore initially assessed for TF & Td'H in 2014, so the valeur locative is realistic. I already get hit for 5k euros per year for these two taxes, so substantial blanket increases to save time and effort would be grossly unfair when (as others have mentioned) there are many properties which have been substantially extended or improved, but never reassessed.

We live in a beautiful part of the Alps, but our mairie is certainly of the 'spend, spend, spend' variety, with all the wastage of labour and indulgent budgeting which others will no doubt have experienced in other parts of France. I may be wrong, but isn't it true that public sector staff cannot be made redundant? If so, then savings can only be made on labour costs through natural wastage, by not replacing staff on retirement. Huge savings could be made however by not having massive fireworks displays every time there is a holiday to celebrate, by not giving out so many grants to 'worthy local causes', and to stop investment in projects to draw in tourists to an already over-touristed (and at times polluted) area, amongst other things. I'd like to think that our commune would be wary of unfairly increasing TF and Td'H for fear of killing off the local housing market and deterring investment in real estate both by those from other parts of France and by those from abroad. We'll wait to see how this pans out............