Does your wife love you?

Edward Trunk

The writer Fay Weldon said recently that a wife who loved her husband would pick up his socks. To test this, I dropped a sock between the living room and bedroom. (I had to go and get one from the sock drawer because at this time of year I am not wearing socks.) It was picked up, but I was severely reprimanded for dropping it. Would a pure, fine love include a reprimand? Or was this tough love?

As it was a clean sock, I think your treatment was rather harsh. Had it been a worn sock though, a reprimand seems reasonable.

On the other hand, Mrs Trunk may have a rather suspicious nature and was wondering why you would take off your socks in the living room rather than the bedroom.

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]The writer Fay Weldon said recently that a wife who loved her husband would pick up his socks. To test this, I dropped a sock between the living room and bedroom. (I had to go and get one from the sock drawer because at this time of year I am not wearing socks.) It was picked up, but I was severely reprimanded for dropping it. Would a pure, fine love include a reprimand? Or was this tough love?[/quote]

Some of us don't believe Fay Weldon, mothers may pick up socks, if a man is old enough to be married he is old enough to pick up his own socks [:)]

Mrs Trunk might not have known it was a clean sock - it could have been lurking in a shoe for a while.

I would certainly pick up anything from the floor, be it socks or whatever, providing the arthritis wasn't too bad. My husband also picks up anything from the floor. Equal partnership, I'd say!

I think it's down to mothers and wives to instill such good habits in boys and men. My DIL thinks we did a very good job on training her husband, as does our other son's partner.

Jo

Stop wandering away from the subject, Mr Trunk.

Just how do you explain the fact that my sock draw is jammed with odd socks missing the matching one to make a pair?

I admit that I don't have a wife, but I'm not wandering crutch deep through dropped socks either.

I suppose an add-on could be, "Do you love your wife" If so would you leave your dirty socks for her to pick up?

Slightly off-topic but the manager at a store I contracted work from, used to delight in telling the male staff every morning whilst having our tea break, the sexual antics of his loving wife and also delight in the trouble she took in packing his lunch box with little extras. One morning ,no lunch box and a very quiet manager. When questioned about the missing lunch box he replied that she had informed him she was leaving and would be seekin a divorce. " But don't you love me"? The reply" Love you! I don't even like you". Unfortunately the sentence has now become almost a joke. I might add that I believe I'm still loved by several. One of 7 ,one of 13,another of 16 and one who will not let me give her age!!

Regards.

Weedon, I could brain you!!! I read that with laughter and wandered away from the PC. Unfortunately, in that short time, Mr. Nectarine sat down at the computer and read the Good Housekeeping article in full!

He is now reminiscing about the "good old days" and wondering why I'm not bathing his feet and tending to his every need!