Gutted: fake claims for yoghurt exposed

NormanH

I always thought that the lack of possible effect of 'probiotics' came under the heading of 'The bleedin' obvious'

Consider, the bacteria needed to break down food is in the gut (ie intestines) by the trillion.

By swallowing something to augment this mighty number it has to pass through the stomache which is so acidic that is kills off 99.9999% of all bacteria apart from some rare exotic strains responsible for ulcers.

so if it did any good, the only way in would be via another orifice [+o(]

Brilliant marketing though

Just a word in support of probiotics - not the yoghurty ones, the (expensive) sachet ones.  After a two week sejour in hospital for a back complaint, I left with a cured back but a hospital acquired MRSA which manifested itself as permanent diahhrea.  Every test conceivable was done and the conclusion was some sort of food poisoning.  For nine months I was prescribed every remedy going from antibiotics to the usual kaolin and everything in between.  Nothing, but nothing came near alleviating the problem until one day I was reading about probiotics and thought them worth a try.  The effect was radical.  Within ta couple of days everything was back to normal.  According to my doctor (who hadn't actually thought of it before) all the 'good' bacteria had simply been flushed out of the system.  The treatment was for twenty one days, bombarding the gut with bacteria (not the pink little doses on yoghurts) and I have never looked back. 

My GP does prescribe probiotics whenever someone is on a long course of antibiotics, and claims she takes them herself. As for the claims made for yogourt, many years ago when probiotics in powder form or in pill form did not exist, French medics used to advise to eat plenty of them when embarking on a course of antibiotics - so they were fooled too. Still, with yogourt at least you will get calcium and vitamin A, even if there is not as much good bacteria as is hoped. Yogourt is also used in local applications (per vaginam) for thrush,  I believe this is an old, well-tried remedy. I wonder whether it is as useless as is claimed here.

What about Actimel, etc? I have never tried those - as most of these products are sweetened, but wild claims are made for them.

And what about kombucha? (never tried it either) - and kefir and other such preparation?

edit: sorry, I only read the article after writing my post above!

[quote user="5-element"]My GP does prescribe probiotics whenever someone is on a long course of

antibiotics, and claims she takes them herself. As for the claims made

for yogourt, many years ago when probiotics in powder form or in pill

form did not exist, French medics used to advise to eat plenty of them

when embarking on a course of antibiotics - so they were fooled too.

Still, with yogourt at least you will get calcium and vitamin A, even

if there is not as much good bacteria as is hoped. Yogourt is also used

in local applications (per vaginam) for thrush,  I believe this is an

old, well-tried remedy. I wonder whether it is as useless as is claimed

here.

What about Actimel, etc? I have never tried those - as most of these products are sweetened, but wild claims are made for them.

And what about kombucha? (never tried it either) - and kefir and other such preparation?[/quote]

My GP does the same if  antibiotics are prescribed and my UK dentist did too.

I would add that I make milk kefir at home and use it in baking and cooking and also drink it as a smoothie most mornings.

Without wanting to be too specific (details on request by PM [:)]), I noticed a benefic change within a couple of days of days of starting and this lasts up to a week afterwards if/when I stop.

Clair, qu'est-ce que c'est, milk kefir?

I am very interested in all so-called alternative health products.  Whenever I felt a bit out of sorts, I used to take bifidus in capsule form.  I admit I do eat the Nestle bifidus actif yoghurt but only because they are from Lidl (therefore cheap) and because I like the taste of them!

No added sugar and I only have half a tub a day with my cereal so don't mind even if it is hype because I'm not really paying "extra" for the bacteria and I don't really mind if they are there in sufficient numbers or not![:P] 

Over 20 years ago I went down with Salmonella poisoning in Paris! although after investigation by the local health authority (it is a notifiable disease in the UK) it was narrowed down to British Airways club class food.

Anyway it left me with continued and severe bowel problems although at the time I didnt realise it was exarcebated by my love of spicy food. A girlfriend suggested adding natural yoghurt to my diet and the problem disappeared completely.

It has since reappeared a few times in exactly the same form but only when I have been 10 days or so without eating natural yoghurt and having eaten some some spicy food during that time, I buy some more yoghurt, eat it and the problem is resolved in 24 hours.

I was able to confirm this when I was travelling and the yoghurt was not available whereby a completely bland rice and veg diet resolved the problem but it took over a week on average.

I never believed all the hype about pro-biotics but rest convinced that natural yoghurt does a good job as part of a balanced, or in my case unbalanced [;-)] diet.

well can someone explain to me , in words of several syllables if necessary what a 'probiotic' is. And can someone explain how bacteria can survive 10N hydrochloric acid in the human stomach? if it aint reproduceable and verifiable it aint science. I dont know what it is but it aint science. Possibly a placebo effect?

Clair, thanks for the link.

Pierre, even if it's a placebo, does it matter?

People like Chancer are getting results, aren't they?

Listen, not everything in the world can be explained.  It it were then the world would be a very dull and reductionist place.

No, the beauty and intrique that is Life is precisely because we human beings cannot and never will be able to give a rhyme and a reason for everything[:D]

I was tempted to say God moves in mysterious way but I won't![:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Listen, not everything in the world can be explained.  It it were then the world would be a very dull and reductionist place.

No, the beauty and intrique that is Life is precisely because we human beings cannot and never will be able to give a rhyme and a reason for everything[:D][/quote]

Check out my avatar sweets, the answer is there in plain view, it's 42 [:)]