Indian Hill Railways

chessie

I've just finished watching the third - and last - episode of this series.

Anyone else see these?  I missed the first one unfortunately, just hope it's a series the BBC will repeat.

Looking at those remarkable and lovely steam engines, listening to the sounds of them, watching all the people, the wildlife and the stunning scenery -  I Want To Ride on those Little Steam Engines  !!

Anyone else feel the same after watching the programmes ?

This is what TV is all about;  lovely documentaries about people and places of interest.   Forget the X-Factor, the soaps, the celebrities doing 'whatever' - on or off the ice....

But oh - I'd love to visit India, have a trip into the hills and ride those steam railways.....sigh......

Chessie

The programme tonight was already a repeat.

It is a lovely programme and gives a good insight into India - it's a marvelous place and I wish everyday to be there.

Sadly my wifelet does not like India so I am in purgatory.

Sell your Grandma just go!

Brilliant series,very interesting insight into the local people.Glad to get and keep any job to advance themselves and provide for family young and old and very happy with their lot. Also watchedTomohiro 's journey around China on the trains shown on Japan Channel. Also a very interesting look at the people and places.I've always wanted to do one of the long train journey's like across Russia but have been a coward when thinking of the hygiene and food aspect and will probably settle for the Canada option.

Agreed.  A beautiful series. The people made it for me. Very heartwarming.  We've done one of the journeys - the one from Kalka up to Shimla.. Great fun and beautiful scenery. It was part of a tour we did on the Palace on Wheels train (bit like an Indian Orient Express) around Rajasthan. We had a wonderful time. A fascinating country with some wonderful architecture. Unfortunately some very sad sights as well.

Some very sad sights indeed,couldn't agree more. Hard to comprehend the filth that many families and areas endure when you consider the wealth and man-power available.I wonder how the UK health and safety bods would get on out there?

[quote user="Gastines"]Brilliant series,very interesting insight into the local people.Glad to get and keep any job to advance themselves and provide for family young and old and very happy with their lot. Also watchedTomohiro 's journey around China on the trains shown on Japan Channel. Also a very interesting look at the people and places.I've always wanted to do one of the long train journey's like across Russia but have been a coward when thinking of the hygiene and food aspect and will probably settle for the Canada option.[/quote]

The Japan Channel has some interesting programmes - I saw the one where they visited Yamaha Town and they old went to see the musical instruments and not the motorcycles - darn it.

They also recently had a programme on kites - it was just like the way the Japanese do business meetings - ask the same question three times then repeat the answer three times. Quite how they do well overall is not easily understood - though they must understand having heard it three times.

[quote user="Gastines"]The Architecture and gardens are worth looking at and no litter.[/quote]

But don't get lulled into the idea that this is generally true of Indian railways. Away from the hills most 'regular' railway approaches into towns and villages are absolute rubbish tips. A real mess and very unsavoury.

Most stations are heaving with people with many coiled up in blankets sleeping on the platforms.

And the ordinary trains can have WCs that I've definitely preferred not to use, even on journeys of many hours  - much worse than anything I've ever met on British Rail or a plane! [:-))]

On the poverty front, we once saw a father and two girls come out of a hovel, with filth all around it. The girls were dressed in beautifully clean, uncreased school uniforms, complete with shirts, ties and white ankle socks. We learned that the convent school they attended, although subsidised,  was very expensive for them, but people like that father were happy to work at anything to get the money together to enable their children to receive an education. How they kept their uniforms like that I'll never know! [:)]

It was incongruous to see palaces which had become upmarket hotels with encampments right outside the walls; all looking very filthy, but no excrement was seen lying around, and men were constantly bathing at nearby taps.

We didn't see the programme but have watched other programmes on the railway to Shimla (and also to Darjeeling).  Once I retire (next September) we plan to travel around Northern India and the toy train is on our list of 'must do's'.  We are also hoping we can spend some time helping out at a school for the 'untouchables' in Jaipur.  (It will have been nearly 40 years since I was last in a classroom - so it will be a strange feeling!)

When I mentioned the buildings/gardens I was referring to China. Having watched Kevin Mc Cloud trip in and around Mumbai, that put me off India. I do agree about the people striving for their childrens education and the pristine condition of the uniforms of those able to go to such schools. A land of have and have nots. The caste system seems even more extreem than our class system. Having a bit of a do some years ago I invited an Indian Barrister and an Indian Couple I knew well who had 3 restaurants assuming they would at least chat but my restaurant couple said that he won't talk to us as we are a lower caste. They had all been in Uk for many years.

The intesting thing about watching the Chinese railways was the platform staff, in spotless uniforms standing to attention and saluting as the train arrives in the station. My last train journey in UK,I was directed to the wrong platform and the Buffet Car's first announcement" No hot food is available".

I missed this one Chessie, but saw another  about the people who collect lunch boxes from peoples houses, transport  them  by train and then deliver the lunch boxes to the peoples offices. It was amazing,  of course it begs the question of why the people do not take their own lunch with them when they go to work? but then  this is India.  Also there was another film about Indian train drivers; the most frightening statistic was the number of "jumpers" and people crossing the lines at the wrong time and place each driver has to contend with. India is such a rich source of stories,  it is a documentary film makers paradise.

Yes, Nick, I saw the one you mean.  It was about the Bangalore railway.  There was the woman who was selling saris illegally on the train, got regularly nicked (sorry, Nick) by the railway police and paid the fines that were statutory.

Then, guess what, she earned enough to buy a house for her family![:D]  Absolutely heartwarming, sad and happy at the same time and I cried my eyes out at her sheer guts.