Donutting ...Is now our late night entertainment

Frederick

It seems the local boy racers have decided now its ice covered the mini  roundabout at the cross roads by my house is an ideal place to meet for some midnight fun.

Cheered on by mates this is what they do ........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8U4_1hYJCI

The local Police have asked us householders who overlook this now sodium lit arena to "Go out and get their registration numbers when they start and phone them through  "

I am now praying for a rapid thaw !

Tht clip was not taken outside the OP's house. They wont be wearing out their tyres on the snow, in fact I would be surprised if any of them have  rear wheel drive cars.

I say dont be a kiiljoy, I did exactly the same when I was younger, as soon as the snow fell out we went to have a play, its how I learnt to drive on the limit but in relative safety and stood me in very good stead many years later when I could finally afford to race at clubman level.

Even now the first thing I do when I get a new car is to go out when it is wet and slippery, as late as possible so as not to inconvenience anyone and find the limits of my new wheels and more importantly its transient reactions, when it happens for real you have to know how to react and act bloody quickly dependant on the circumstances.

Given how appalingly most of the drivers around here drive in the snowy conditions, they still sit on each others bumpers, drive down hills before stop juctions at the same speed as they do on the level and brake far too late for the inertia and potential energy, any practice these boy racers get can only be a good thing for everyone on the road and pedestrians.

Editted.

Just to roll back the years when I have had my tea I am going out for a play [;-)]

Not being a killjoy, JRC.

I used to do precisely the same: fresh fallen snow and empty roads back in the 70s (No parked cars very much) and I would go out and test things like the point I could take the car sideways and recover it. Mainly seaside promenades with no particular residents to annoy.

Great practise for driving "On the loose".

Unfortunately, today, the boy racers congregate, illegally, in car parks and other places and play racing drivers.

They have zero respect for laws and other's inconvenience and safety.

When In the UK I have the misfortune to live on the outskirts of a major town with a seafront and thus promenade.

This has been a magnet for "Cruisers" who appear each Saturday evening in mobs and drive like lunatics in their tricked up saloons, replete with no back seats and huge speaker arrays and special Switch Mode Driven power amps, banging out mega-watts of offensive thudding noise.

The amount they have spent on their silly cars would have enabled them to participate in organised motor sport.

But no: they are there purely to show off and try and outdo each other with their dangerous and stupid antics.

The local authority and police have reacted by simply blocking the route in places: thus neatly destroying a critical and cogent cross-town traffic route, in a town which already suffers horrendous traffic congestion and lack of viable cross-town routes.

See here:

When the M23 was first built myself and a bunch of friends would race from the Pease Pottage junction to Hooley, do a handbrake turn and return again, the M25 didnt exist and the Gatwick junction hadnt been built and critically  there were no access points or covert raised ramps for Police cars, we rarely saw any other vehicles.

We set off at timed intervals and raced against the clock as to get caught together constituted racing on the highway which was, and still is, a very serious offence. 

It was when I first started learning about engine preparation and blueprinting, we didnt really tune the cars up a lot (didnt really have the money) but after having melted several  pistons I needed to find some way of stopping my engines self destructing during 15 minutes of max revs/wide open throttle.

[quote user="Chancer"]

When the M23 was first built myself and a bunch of friends would race from the Pease Pottage junction to Hooley, do a handbrake turn and return again, the M25 didnt exist and the Gatwick junction hadnt been built and critically  there were no access points or covert raised ramps for Police cars, we rarely saw any other vehicles.

We set off at timed intervals and raced against the clock as to get caught together constituted racing on the highway which was, and still is, a very serious offence. 

It was when I first started learning about engine preparation and blueprinting, we didnt really tune the cars up a lot (didnt really have the money) but after having melted several  pistons I needed to find some way of stopping my engines self destructing during 15 minutes of max revs/wide open throttle.

[/quote]

I had a krap car once, bought it brand new, an MGA Twin Cam,never got to the stage of melting the pistons WOW! It just got a neat hole in one of the piston heads without any acceleration everytime the accelerator was floored.

That clip was to show what  "Donutting" is ... I did not know what it was called  untill a neighbour told me ... The 3  keep left bollards have now been swept off by these idiots sliding into them  in  their old bangers . We live in a residential  area and its just because we have an ice covered  roundabout on the flat that is well lit by tall sodium lamps that  they come here   And they know the Police are not in the village as they have a huge area to cover.

I am not a killjoy ... if this were in the middle of an industrial estate car park at midnight I would be the first to say they were doing no harm ...  Try living with it outside your house every night  at any time between  9 pm and up to  midnight after you have gone to sleep ...  I think the time has come to buy some bags of rock salt !!

Is this happening in England or France?

I think it is called dérapage or patinage in France but as I couldnt find anyone to come and play with me last night, (the yoof here just want to pose outside the MacDo drive thru) I cant be sure.

I thought all people that went to bed at 9pm or even before mid-night were killjoys [Www]

At this time of year it is easier to find clout head nails than rocksalt, more effective too [;-)]

Editted, Neighbour calling it donutting and keep left bollards............ must be the UK then. Probably more chance of some of them owning a RWD car to do it properly but I bet the majority are hooing around in FWD ones, at least they are not wearing their tyres out.

I am in the UK at the moment but take my word this is the new craze from what I have discovered to show off and "put yourself on U tube " Its Europe wide .It used to be race over a given distance against the clock .now its see how many 360's you can do. They turn up 3 or 4 cars ... 4 to a car 3 get out while one of them performs. Cheers and applause when the 360 is achieved . If one is really daring he will hang on the side of the car from the open window and feet on the ice slide round with it ... I am waiting for one to get a bit of grip and shoot through my garden wall . Probably with a kid hanging on it I will have to call an ambulance for ...

The only new thing is putting the evidence on youtube to make life easier for the old bill, not that they are likely to take the bait, far too busy eating real doughnuts or surfing the web.

Donuts and car ballet in the snow and ice have been around since time immemorial and have been dry weather recreation since limited slip differentials and powerfull motors became within the reach of a great form of the hoi polloi .

I do agree though there is a time and a place for everything even though I was probably the biggest hoon around, at one Christmas do with out car club I was presented with the traction control award (meaning lack of!) I would happily do donuts wherever there was space, usually  in lieu of a three point turn, at car shows, kit car shows etc it was de rigeur, however when we used to go as a group and camp at the New Forest I was vehemently opposed to my peers hooning around in such a sacred and peacefull place.

I am afraid that outside your house sounds like a perfect floodlit arena to hoon around and it is just getting mre publicity on youtube, I would be more concerned when the M3 brigade start doing them in dry weather, in those circumstances if it became a regular thing I would make my own stinger [6]

So Frederick, is this in Dorset or the South Vendee?

If the latter, it would be easy to lay in a vast quantity of rough Noirmoutier salt (gros sel) from the nearest supermarket, and sprinkle it liberally over the roundabout - and voilà!  That should give you a few peaceful nights' sleep.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]So Frederick, is this in Dorset or the South Vendee?

If the latter, it would be easy to lay in a vast quantity of rough Noirmoutier salt (gros sel) from the nearest supermarket, and sprinkle it liberally over the roundabout - and voilà!  That should give you a few peaceful nights' sleep.

Angela

[/quote]

Dear oh dear, oh dear, Angela!

As a maven of grammar, I'm surprised: one ought never ever to commence a sentence with a conjunction!

[;-)]

Happy Christmas.

[:)]

As is my way, Angela, I was teasing.

I do hope you have had a nice Christmas Day and are looking forward to Boxing Day.

Mrs Gluey and I had a very pleasant relaxed day at her brothers; enjoying the company and conversation with our two nieces and our son.

And now, shortly, for bed!

[:)]