Anything strike you as odd about this sentence?

woolybanana

[quote user="Alex H"][quote user="Charly"]Isn't this why we have spellcheckers?[/quote]

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my Pea Sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss Steaks I can knot sea.

Eye strike the quays and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am write oar wrong
It tells me straight a weigh.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your shore real glad two no.
Its vary polished in its weigh.
My chequer tolled me sew.

A chequer is a bless thing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right all stiles of righting,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The chequer pours o'er every word
Two cheque sum spelling rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker

[/quote]

I love your poem, Alex.  But I don't get the underlined bit.  Could be that I don't speak English like what this does![8-)][:D]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew I should have looked up Rheims on a map for the spelling. Thank you for correction.

Going back to accents when speaking French, I am often taken for German or Dutch because of my Scottish accent. Disappointing that, when you've been brought up to believe you have "perfect vowels."

Hey, Frecossais, don't knock the Scottish pronunciation of French![:D]

I have a Scottish friend who was complimented on her pronunciation of "Bordeaux" the first afternoon she went to French class.  She kind of says Bor(h)deaux and it sounds very French![:)]

The scots are at a great advantage when speaking french, scots  can do the 'u' sound that is so hard for us from south of the border, sauf those talented souls who have the gift of languages. And Reims (rance) hasn't got an 'H' just in case you are looking it up.

[quote user="idun"]OK, so what language is there an 'h' in Reims? I don't think I have ever seen Reims spelt any other way.[/quote]

French - a long time ago (if my translation is good :-) )

French Wikipedia says;

"Reims [ʀɛ̃s] (orthographe ancienne : Rheims), appelée « la cité des sacres » ou « la cité des rois », est une commune française située dans le département de la Marne et la région Champagne-Ardenne."

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims

One that gets up my nose is "nucular": I think it was George W Bush's standard pronunciation. It's surprising how many people who should know better, don't.

Oh, and in the Ingoldsby Legends it's definitely the "Jackdaw of Rheims", rather than Reims.....

It looks odd to me written as Reims, somehow I seem to prefer it with an H, so thank you Idun.

Sweet 17, I wouldn't ever knock my Scottish accent, I love it. I only meant I was miffed that the French didn't take my accent for French, what with me and my perfect vowels, sorry didn't make that very clear. In the real world of course I can often make a pig's ear of speaking French.

[quote user="Rabbie"]But don't you just hate it when people get its and it's mixed up?[/quote]I do, but it is an error for which I have some sympathy since the apostrophe is used for the possessive in so many other cases.

Why "the baby's"  but not "it's"?   I can see why there is confusion.

Likewise, Steve, (long time ago on this thread now, I know) I understand why there is  confusion between lose and loose.  If it's choose, then why isn't it loose, when they are pronounced the same way?  It wasn't until some kind member of this forum pointed out to me that lose had lost an o that I have managed to get this right![:$]

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="pachapapa"]

I should have wrote...; The baby had his/her first apple.[:P]

[/quote]"I should have written" would have been better english[/quote]

I isn't no pendant!

[/quote]But I am Honorary President of the local pedants society.[:D] Not sure if that is really something to brag about[:)]