Anything strike you as odd about this sentence?

woolybanana

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RH, Tours in France, I would say Tu rh, never sound the S.

There again where I used to live, we always sounded the X in Aix les Bains, not the S in Bains though. Always the X in Chamonix. And there were people with surnames which ended with Z and the Z was always sounded too. These montagnard had their own way with french.

Place names are a law unto themselves, regardless of country, aren't they?

The small town near us spelt Mamers is pronounced Mamerss, but Angers is Anjay.

Trotiscliffe in Kent?  Trossley.[:-))]

Sweets, I really did think Marseille was spelt with an s on the end for years.  I honestly can't remember where I picked that up.

Here's another little irritation:  "Literally", used to mean the exact opposite. 

Lyon has no S to start with. Only in english I think.

Marseille. When there are two LL's together usually with an I in front, simplified the sound is a sort of 'ay'    to replace the iLL's.

So Marseille is Marse ay.

..."I would hate to think that anybody would keep their mouths shut, or not put fingers to keyboard, simply because they were afraid of being picked upon about their sentence construction, but I do think it's a shame that some seem to think it's unimportant at least to try.  One person's point of view is just as valid as another's, but it is much easier for the articulate and literate to win an argument.  That is why, imho, making an effort to write clear and understandable English is so important.  Allowing the wrong-headed to win a dispute just because they are better at putting their point of view forward is a tragedy, thus it is in everybody's interest to attempt to express themselves well, whatever the medium...." 

Agree absolutely. And also.........as to keeping mouths shut.....   I love accents and the way that this makes us all individuals.   So, long live regional accents since for me it's WHAT you say that counts, not how you say it.  The ancient BBC English when everyone wore formal dress to read the news, even the radio news, and spoke down to the listeners in the strangled tones of a  "Mr Cholmondley-Warner" [8-)]- well, I'm glad to see the back of that.  But every man woman and especially child, should be encouraged to speak and to write decent English whilst not being too anxious about spelling, since that's a knack and in my experience no indicator as to intelligence ! [geek] Isn't this why we have spellcheckers? [I]  With that I am orf to mow the lorns and gitta bitta weedin dun befour the kids rock up fer the wekend, should of dun it earlyer, I reckun ![:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Charly, spellcheckers are as useful as bicycles to goldfish.

It will pass "two" when you want to say "too" and all of that nonsense.

[/quote]Sweet 17, FYI spellcheckers are actually run by fish on bicycles who are possibly not given to wasting time telling you how to type "two" and "too". ( For that think you need a calculator anyway!) [;-)]If you ever have a moment and need a really good laugh, try the Babelfish translation site - also run by (less qualified )fish.  Type out something  in English and get it translated into French. So far, so just about understandable. Then translate that translation back into English. Hilarious. Some of the little gems that result could keep me amused for hours.

Auxerre in Burgundy is commonly pronounced as Ausserre, but the first time I heard "Rhins" (???) pronounced by a French person, I had no idea where he meant until he clarified by saying "champagne". By the way, I see that Chalons sur Marne is now referred to as Chalons en Champagne. Well, there was talk over here about renaming Staines "Staines on Thames". No, please!

Do you mean Rheims, Frecossais?

I do find place names very difficult.  Just off the top of my head, Malestroit in Southern Brittany, Mansle in Charente, Montguyon in Charente Maritime are all pronounced not quite how you think it might be.

You just have to ask a native![I]

Edit:  and I hardly ever dare ask for Laguoile (cheese and not knife) and I don't think I have spelt it right either.

[quote user="sweet 17"]
Marseille, Lyon....with or without?
[/quote]

Without in French.  With in English - though nowadays we go more with the French way.
Same as Reims ("rhinss") French, and Rheims ("reems"), English.

My French-Canadian sister-in-law got very steamed-up on first arrival in the UK about our pronounciation of Rheims - as well as, of course, "Mont-ree-all" and "Kweb-eck" - though had to back down when it was pointed out that even she did not refer to "London", "Roma" and "Firenze" in local pronunciation when she was speaking in French.

Angela

[:D]The french canadians, well, I don't really think that they have much to say about the way anyone else pronounces anything at all. So many asked if I was french, and they were being serious. No worse than the english speaking canadians who thought I was irish. I sound 'english' when I speak french, in spite of my efforts. And I sound northern english, when I speak english. Canada was not as I imagined it would be.[8-)]

Sweet17, Laguoile can't remember seeing it, but there are so many french cheeses. I had to look it up and it said it was pronounced layole.

I have trouble saying the town Laon in northern France and I can't say rust in french to save my life.

The French may not pronounce some of their place-names as spelt but they have nothing to compare with nonsense life Leicester (lester), Bicester (bister), Milngavie (mulguy), Slaithwaite (sl-ow-it) and hosts of others.

I would concede that there are certain English place-names with weird pronunciations simply to make the locals feel better when they can laugh like throwbacks at the ignorant outsiders. But that's probably the only entertainment in such places!

[quote user="Charly"]Isn't this why we have spellcheckers?[/quote]

Eye have a spelling chequer,

It came with my Pea Sea.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss Steaks I can knot sea.

Eye strike the quays and type a whirred

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am write oar wrong

It tells me straight a weigh.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your shore real glad two no.

Its vary polished in its weigh.