Anything strike you as odd about this sentence?

woolybanana

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Russethouse"]

One of my mothers carers sometimes has occasion to phone, she always says 'Sorry to distub'  which I thought was quite sweet and  I kind of put down to English not being her first language, however today I heard someone on the BBC say the same thing.

Shouldn't it be 'Sorry to disturb you/one/him/ her ?'

Is it me ? [6]

[/quote]

It's a transitive verb so you are correct, it must act on an object.

There are loads of examples that make me grind my teeth but the latest seems to be "this is very concerning"!

I want to say, concerning what?  Your divorce, the death of your pet dog, the end of the world?  What does it concern?

I won't go on or I WILL spoil my Sunday lunch....or should one really say luncheon?[:P]

And some of the BBC pronunciation winds me up.

There is a rather well spoken presenter who is on at some ungodly hour of the weekend mornings who does a program about EU politics and constantly refers to the city of Strarsberg.  Try as I might I cannot find it anwhere.

You know what, Andy, I feel sooooo superior when none of the announcers/anchor bods can pronounce anything remotely French.  Like Sarkozy, off the top of my head.

What's happened to the famed BBC Pronunciation Unit that sorted all this kind of stuff out?  I remember when they used to make them say the word "deity" over and over until they get it just right.

Mind you, when it comes to Welsh names, even John Humphrys gets it wrong as he is not a Welsh speaker.

I blame it all on whoever's decision it was that BBC newsreaders no longer needed to wear a dinner suit to read the news on radio![:P]

It's always called a "dinner jacket", Sweet 17, whether the trousers match or not.[Www][:D]

I had an argument via e-mail with a certain Mr John Hindhaugh who is the lead commentator on Radio Le Mans, which does the English on-course commentary during the race.  They constantly pronounce Le Mans as though it rhymes with the Fonz and the Sarthe as a person from Essex pronounces the word South.  He told me that they have long discussions on the subject every year but ultimately pronounce it the English way given that the audience is British, but is still grates with me.  (Unlike starting a sentence with a preposition, Hoddy, which was frowned on when I was at school but which I rather like.)  I think the pronounciation thing is difficult for broadcasters as there's a fine line between correctness and pretentiousness.  Do you remember Angela Rippon reading the news?  When she said "guerilla" it always made me laugh, especially after Pamela Anderson's marvelous take off of her on Not the Nine O'Clock News.   Do you expect your French friends to say London and Thames as we would?

Ah, yes, Coops, dinner JACKET!  Of course.....Er, no tuxedos or even tux then?[:D]

I agree about the pronunciation (to a point, but not entirely).  I myself now have difficulty with St Malo and "premier" and a lot of similar, other stuff.

Le Mans, however, is a delight.  In fact, I love saying au Mans and wish my village was a masculine one so that I can say "au" ....LOL.

Strangely enough, nobody seems to have a problem with Perpignan!  Why is that?  Have they been practising? 

Here's another one which winds me up:

It is correctly "The Prince of Wales's Feathers", "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Yates's Wine Lodge" etc., so why is it so often written  Wales' (as in the feathers of several Princes of Wale) or Jones' (as in the diary of several people called Jone?)  I was having an argument with a friend of mine about this the other day, which culminated in her saying to me (I kid you not) : "But it's St James's Park".  I rest my case.[:)]

That's a coincidence. My grand-daughter asked me about this at the weekend and I told her what I thought was the rule which is as you suggest. Because it was for her homework I looked it up and the book said both were correct.

Hoddy