Royal wedding live-stream puzzle...

Clair

How does that happen?

Most live broadcasts have a deliberate delay built in of a few seconds to perhaps half a minute.

This gives the broadcaster an opporunity to invent a small technical hitch if for example someone uses an expletive in front of a mike.

[quote user="andyh4"]

How does that happen?

Most live broadcasts have a deliberate delay built in of a few seconds to perhaps half a minute.

This gives the broadcaster an opportunity to invent a small technical hitch if for example someone uses an expletive in front of a mike.

[/quote]

I understand that some live programs have a built-in delay of 30 seconds or even a minute for the reasons you explain, but this is a matter of 3 or 4 seconds only...

The YouTube livestream was 4 to 5 seconds behind the Beeb and so was the Telegraph's.

My OH suggests that the delays are because the signals from different suppliers have travelled by different routes to reach the screen.  Each passage to a satellite and back or through a communications system or internet server adds a small delay.  You get the same effect when comparing a radio station received on an aerial with the same programme on the internet,  hence the time pips on the internet are always a few seconds slow.

Last year I was watching England play footie on tv. I opted to watch via French TV and the audio via Radio5 live ( due to the YTS person employed by the BBC working the tv audio, they preferred to let you hear the ball being kicked or the crowd cheering instead of the commentary) anyway someone scored a goal, heard it on Radio5 live and a few seconds later the picture showed the goal.