Blog

woolybanana

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I'm in a right state! ;) New Jersey, home of The Soprano's, Boardwalk Empire, .[/quote]Grrr - please stop right there.  Due to Mr Murdoch, we can't get HBO stuff any more over here as the whole back catalogue, and all the new programmes too, have been bought for Sky Atlantic.  [:@]

Glad to read that you're  still calling maths, maths, btw.[:)]

Oh dear, I seem to have got in a tangle commenting on the blog itself, so will do so here. 

Well said, Wooly.  It's easy to condemn collaborators, but I often think one might have been tempted along all sorts of avenues if one's country were occupied.
I passed several French war memorials today, with fresh wreaths of flowers placed and fresh flags a-flutter.
Have you visited the Sentier du Souvenir outside Aizenay?  It's a very moving commemoration of an American aircrew shot down over France.

Angela

When I was a girl my Dad would say exactly the same to me. It would upset me and felt traitorous of him to think that some people might have acted so badly. I just didn't like the idea that people would collaborate. Later I understood and some would have, as people did in most european countries.

I often wondered what my my french neighbours and their families did during the war, but I never asked.

Those I have asked were rural folk, and they replied simply that they kept their heads down and survived.

Though an uncle of my ex wife, a Belgian, was tortured and sent to a concentration camp. Her father hid from forced labour, had fake papers and worked away from his home and family for three years or so, but was denounced by his sister-in-law who was supposed to have been collaborating horizontally.

Many years ago I owned a house near LiĆØge which had false walls in the cellar which had been used to hide Allied airmen who were being got back to UK.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Those I have asked were rural folk, and they replied simply that they kept their heads down and survived.....[/quote]

The same in our bit of southern Manche, Wooly. The little commune our house is in was hammered to bits during the German counter-attack in August 1944, as testified to by the civilian names on the war memorial.  Our cottage, just outside the bourg, was hit by a shell during a tank battle and burnt out inside. Our elderly neighbour was a teenager than and remembers vividly just trying to keep going....

We lived in Vichy France. The germans took over eventually and there was torture done in our Mairie if what I was told is to be believed. There are plenty of things about the resistance in the region, and I know that there was resistance. It was the 'who' was brave enough to resist, that I never found out.

And the collabos, well the priests and the catholic church were still doing it in the mid 1990's, hiding Paul Touvier, how disgraceful and rupugnent was that.

I remember visiting the Vercor Mountains in our early days in France and being told that german cars still had their tyres spilt, don't know if it still goes on or not, although one of my best friends is from the Vercors and has family there, I'll have to ask if she ever knew about it and if it still happens.

Actually it isn't the best of the raclettes, but pas mal quand meme.

Sorry I shouldn't be so flippant about such a man as Richelieu, he strikes me as the sort of bloke who would turn in his grave and reek terrible vengance............. if that were possible![:-))]

For the erudite amongst us I have blogged again: a little feathered problem this time.

Ahh, I so wish Normie was here to read it, but I understand that the boarding charm school where he has been doing an extended course have held him back for extra tuition!