Blog

woolybanana

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you are implying there, Wooly.

They may be giants in seven-league boots for the noise they make. Clump, clump, clump. I have decided they progress by climbing onto each joist and then jumping off en route to the next one.

Angela

Baldrick:       Right, how about a nice meal, while you chew it over?

Blackadder:     [suspicious] What's on the menu?

Baldrick:       Rat. [shows him a big black rat] Saute or fricassee.

Blackadder:     [peers at the rat] Oh, the agony of choice. Saute

involves...?

Baldrick:       Well, you take the freshly shaved rat, and you marinade it

in a puddle for a while.

Blackadder:     Hmm, for how long?

Baldrick:       Until it's drowned. Then you stretch it out under a hot

light bulb, then you get within dashing distance of the

latrine, and then you scoff it right down.

Blackadder:     So that's sauteing, and fricasseeing?

Baldrick:       Exactly the same, just a slightly bigger rat.

Blackadder:     Well, call me Old Mr. Un-adventurous but I think I'll give

it a miss this once.

and later...

Baldrick:       Would you like some "rat-au-van" to help you think? [shows

Blackadder a tin plate with a very flat rat on it]

Blackadder:     "Rat-au-vin"?

Baldrick:       Yeah, it's rat that's been...

Blackadder:     [joins in] ..run over by a van. No thank you Baldrick.

Although it gives me an idea. Telephone please.

I like castles, when I was but a girl, late teens really, I used to go with a group and we'd try and get rid of all the overgrowth, undergrowth, everywhere growth on Sheriff Hutton Castle near York. It was but a ruin, and with our hard work, we got most of the growth back exposing  old stone walls. We were told that the 'little Princes' had been there and maybe murdered there, but I was easy to tell such tales to then, very very green.

We have also visited http://www.guedelon.fr/fr/ when it was in it's early stages and I keep my eye on it, it is looking like a full grown castle now and I'll have to go and see it again.

If you had posted your blog earlier in the week, I reckon during this glorious weather a day off would have been had and a visit here: http://www.bamburghcastle.com/

Glorious today again and it will probably be heaving there, so for all I have a hankering to go and visit now, I'll not today. It isn't that old but the setting is stunning and it looks old from a distance.

Bernard Cornwell's books about King Alfred has the hero from Bamburgh.

Was here  a couple of weeks ago. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/rievaulx-abbey/ How rich those monks and the church were.

I'm afraid that these days a long walk, more than say, two miles is a bit much with my gammy knees.

I love that part of the Northumberland Coast, it is very expensive and fabulous and we had considered moving up there when we moved back. Even if I had had the money I wouldn't have done, as it is just too remote for me now for everyday living. Even the A1 just a little inland is down to single lanes. I would holiday there or days out, but not live.

Bamburgh castle is in a lovely part of Northumberland. We camped near there a few times many years ago on a very friendly campside which also had a riding school (which went down well with our daughter).

The castle at Commequiers, although more than a bit derelict, is very pretty and worth a visit, although the village is not as attractive!

What's wrong with the village, Pommier?!

I love Commequiers church, with its blend of ancient stones and modern windows and font area.   And the organ has to be seen to be believed;  it is a new creation by local artisans, and has angels flying out of it.

It's got the Velo-Rail, which is a great family excursion; a real tannery, for the strong of stomach; and a splendid dolmen in the woods.  

I wish my village could boast as much...

Angela

If anyone is interested, I blogged again, for your delectation. A story of modern cannibalism!

And have added advertisments just for fun, but I do not actually choose which ones at present. They seem respectable enough at the moment as there have not been any offers of marriage from Russian/Uzbeck/Thai/Essex or Living France women![6][:D]