marrying a first cousin

idun

I keep noticing that there is a very big fuss about an incestuous marriage between first cousins. Surely this is not incest.

For all I would say that it was not something recommended as 'usual' in a family, ie going on from generation to generation. But if that is not the case and if cousins want to marry, with no genetic illnesses in the family, then surely that is their business. Isn't it?

[quote user="idun"]

I keep noticing that there is a very big fuss about an incestuous marriage between first cousins. Surely this is not incest.

[/quote]

Marriage between first cousins is not usually considered incestuous. First cousin marriages were usually the first choice among the royal families of Europe - including our own (Vicky 'n' Al). It kept the blue blood blue (and haemophiliac).

First cousin marriages are not illegal in the UK, or Europe, but I think they are in certain US states. Among the Asian community they're very common, and there has been some controversy about it in the UK because of the predominance in these cultures and an increased incidence of genetic defects. One of my Asian (Bangladeshi) students was married to her cousin, as were all her sisters, her brother and her parents. It's perceived as a "strengthening" of the family.

Strengthen the family [:D][:D][:D] ....... just keeps any money in the family. And that is just plain wrong, generation on generation and there is a great risk of genetic illnesses.

You know Loiseau, I never imagined you as being so digitally endowed to be honest. Can you type really really quickly?[Www]

If you look round some Villages in France  especially at a village  turn out for a funeral for example .It  would appear  years ago half a dozen blokes had a great time given the way they all look alike  .  It makes it important not to complain about anybody doing a rotten job for you  if you have used them  to a neighbour   They are probably related and it will be round the commune in no time

That's brought back some memories from years back.....

A friend of mine thought his sister was the tops and she thought he was. They used to sleep together (what a strange expression for something that is a little active) and their parents thought it was great!

[quote user="Loiseau"]My 2x great-grandfather married his first cousin, and they produced 16 children.

Might explain my 20 fingers and 20 toes I suppose....

Angela

[/quote]

One finger ,one thumb ,one arm, one leg , keep moving !