In the meantime, let us guess who will light the flame

woolybanana

I'd be happy to see Sir Steve Redgrave do it, very ordinary beginnings, sheer grit and determination got him where he is now. Of course he has overcome difficulties caused by his diabetes too.

He comes from Marlow Bottom, a few miles away from my home village, and in an area pretty thick with ' personalities' I have never once heard any criticism of him, and he is not too 'grand' to get involved with local projects and causes. An excellent example to others.

Like wise Sir Roger Bannister, but actually I have a feeling it won't be either of them

[quote user="Quillan"]

Ahh but it should be a Londoner, after all the games was awarded to London not Britain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAPUb5lQTk4&feature=related

Its the city that gets the games and not the country.

I am now going to hide in my bunker. [;-)]

[/quote]

How about a Pearly King or Queen then, or a Beefeater, or Chelsea pensioner?

PS Someone in the telegraph suggests it might be a child born in London the day London won the Olympic bid, that could make sense.

Apparently in betting circles, a lot of money has been bet on Sir Roger Bannister since Wednesday. Also the Queen has been figuring in bets as well. I thought the person chosen had to be an Olympian, but apparently not. We'll soon know - don't know if I'll be able to stay up for it though!

Did anyone ring a bell at 08.12 today?

Absolutely brilliant idea to give the crowning moment to the young unknowns. Just fitted in with the "inspiring the next generation" message so well, Danny Boyle had obviously give things a great deal of thought. Good on him.