UK about to run out of gas!!!

Théière

Typical short term planning as usual and we never learn.

We've decided to allow building on grade 1 farm land which will make us even more internationally food dependent than we already are.

When we were down to less than two weeks supply of wheat three or four years ago, it wasn't reported in the newspapers. At least we know about the fuel shortage.

Hoddy

Mrs T getting the flack. Well Mrs T deserves the flack. How many mines did they want to close and how many jobs to be lost???? I do believe that the comfy south is having a go at the north here, and as my husband and I both are from mining families and he served his apprenticeship down the pit, I feel very very strongly about this.

And then when Mrs T had strangled the life out of the strikers, then they went back and it all went, the jobs, the communities. Do we need them open now, or is it preferable to have children mining in third world countries, maybe that is for the best eh!

I have had a rubbish day so far and was wound up before I read this thread about the sweet old Lady T. Scargill, well, I have little to say about him. She knew that she wanted rid of the miners earlier, but she had to wait to have enough stocked coal to enter the battle, just at the point she chose she had a muppet against her.

And re the gas. When we bought this house we had it reinsulated, two wood burners fitted, one with an oven built in. We have a spare hob that runs on bottled gas. The only thing that we don't have is a hot water system, but I daresay that we could get that sorted if the gas went off.

I ask people what they would do if the gas or electricity went off. If it were the electricity,  most couldn't even use the gas fires they have had fitted, as these need the electricity on to work, same same with their boilers. And if the gas was off they would be in a similar situation.

Frankly I don't want to be in the cold or unable to cook.  I am too fond of my comfort.

Very wise idun, get "off grid" as the so called Managers these days are simply not up to the mark.  The spin that it used is unforgivable. There should be a job going soon at the head of the gas for the UK, anyone who can manage a wood pile could apply

Uk gas storage tanks are 10% full, now I hope I am a glass half full sort but just how far with this do you have to go? 1% full 1/2% full? For pitty sake the tanks are 90% empty and gas rationing is not far away!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-faces-the-prospect-of-gas-rationing-for-the-first-time-8544975.html

Yesterday they switched off  Didcot  power station. On instructions from the EU as its coal and they used up the 20,000  hours it appears they had been given to run it before they HAD to close  it down due to EU emissions regulations .     Perhaps they should  turn it back on today or ask Brussels what they are going to do about our power shortage ?

DON'T ask Brussels they will close our banks and nick our saving to pay for their gas!!  Oh and cos UK is desperate the wholesale price of gas has just shot up so no guesses who will foot the bill for that one. Free enterprise is killing me

I noticed on the news that EDF may build a nuclear power station in Somerset costing 14 billion. I wondered how many houses that could equip with PV panels without the need to build a power station?

it's not just the building cost, it's the on going running cost and I wondered with the very low maintenance costs of a PV system would that long term work out better?

Yes I understand you need light, not necessary brilliant sunshine to generate but worst case you would require a much smaller power station. On the developments I look after in Ashford I was surprised that the PV generate at all on some cloudy days but it does and providing the idea isn't over sold is it worth a look?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Germany

In Germany entire towns are PV powered, should they be looking to Germany rather than France and EDF?

http://inhabitat.com/german-village-produces-321-more-energy-than-i...

''In Germany entire towns are PV powered, should they be looking to Germany rather than France and EDF?''

Do they switch everything off as the sun goes down and on again at sunrise?

Perhaps they have humongus battery banks.

Or even, perhaps it's not really true.

[quote user="powerdesal"]''In Germany entire towns are PV powered, should they be looking to Germany rather than France and EDF?'' Do they switch everything off as the sun goes down and on again at sunrise? Perhaps they have humongus battery banks. Or even, perhaps it's not really true.[/quote]

Someone is trying on the "BS baffles brains" principle here [:D]

Contrary to the statement made, the article cited actually says the town has 7 windmills (sic), 4 biogas digesters and 3 small hydro generators.

For a population of 2,600, 190 houses have solar panels.

I have always thought that if PV systems were so good why has the EU never passed a law to ensure all newbuilds (and complete renovations where the roof is replaced) have these panels fitted when built/renovated. I have noticed, which I think is quite a good idea, that down on the Med and in Carcassonne some of the big supermarkets have covered their car parks with them. Not only does it stop your car becoming a furnace but it gives them cheap electricity. However there is no doubt that for carbon less electricity that Nuclear is the way to go. I saw something on TV last year about an experiment in Norway I think where they were using seawater to generate electricity which looked interesting something to do with mixing seawater and fresh water.

PV systems in the case of supermarket car parks as stated by Q are obviously a good idea, such use will not only save the supermarket money on power use during the day but will help to flatten (to some extent) the distribution system demand curve by reducing the day time rise in demand which means additional generation need not be started up.

[quote user="powerdesal"]PV systems in the case of supermarket car parks as stated by Q are obviously a good idea, such use will not only save the supermarket money on power use during the day but will help to flatten (to some extent) the distribution system demand curve by reducing the day time rise in demand which means additional generation need not be started up.[/quote]

Simplistically you mean when it get dark.

There are two golden goals that need to be attained, cold fusion and a method of storing huge amounts of electricity, way beyond the simple battery, in a small space.

To save electricity perhaps they could create a system where streetlights and house electricity is either turned off or reduced after a certain time like midnight as an example. With LED technology why not replace current street lighting with solar powered units.

You could also save a lot of money and free up the police by changing all copper cable to aluminum like they have been doing for many years in France and with copper costing seven time more than aluminum not only can you get it done for free using the profits of selling the copper as scrap to fund the project and you would also make some money as well.

''Simplistically you mean when it get dark.''

It's only simplistic for people who understand how the demand varies across the normal day. For those who are not aware that the day time demand peak is some 60+% greater than the night time demand further explanation may be relevant.