Sodden weather

woolybanana

Well, yesterday I was cutting* the lawn in shirtsleeves in the afternoon, thinking that there was enough warmth in the sun to suggest that Spring was here and today there was snow, bitter cold and we are promised an afternoon of heavy rain, thus making the ground sodden again.

What in Bobo's name is going on?

* to be strictly accurate 'cutting' is something of a misnomer as my mower blade is so blunt that it sort of caresses the grass and flattens it, rather like a hairdresser taming wild hair!

It is really weird.

Montpellier which is only about 60 km from here has had lots of rain.

http://www.midilibre.fr/2013/03/29/le-mois-de-mars-le-plus-pluvieux-depuis-1946,668656.php

Yet I was again out today  at lunchtime in my shirtsleeves eating on a café terrace surrounded by Scandinavians marvelling at the sunshine..

I am not lying, but I don't expect anyone to believe me..

Today has been warm and sunny here too, Norman.

But the ground is still "sodden" and more rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Wooly - I know what you mean about grass just being flattened instead of cut; it has happened to me many times.

Even if the blades are sharp, you can blunt them by cutting wet grass.

[quote user="NormanH"]It is really weird.

http://www.midilibre.fr/2013/03/29/le-mois-de-mars-le-plus-pluvieux-depuis-1946,668656.php

Yet I was again out today  at lunchtime in my shirtsleeves eating on a café terrace surrounded by Scandinavians marvelling at the sunshine..

[/quote]

We were in Bouzigues scoffing oysters and other seafood in the sunshine today.

Meanwhile, back in Berkshire, the chilly wind has disappeared and we've had sunshine and blue skies most of the day, with the previous two days quite pleasant too. We couldn't sit outside for lunch as the temperature was only 5C, as against sunny and 15C at our place in France, not a million miles from Pickles and Norman. But we had a pleasant time walking around the pub gardens with our granddaughter to see the hens, puppies and cat, then tucked into a lovely meal.

The little one approved of the assorted breads, roast potatoes, cheese soufflé and cod, didn't like the pigeon terrine and adored the chocolate mousse. I enjoyed everything!

Well down here on the Riviera it rained all day again yesterday and was cold at only 9c max during the day. This afternoon the sun came out and it was much nicer, but tomorrow morning rain is forecast again.

Generally this winter has been unusually cold and very wet in PACA and with the jet stream apparently doing weird things by moving down to North Africa at the moment, the unsettled cooler weather is forecast to continue.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="NormanH"]It is really weird.

[/quote]

[/quote]

la Côte Bleue?

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="NormanH"]It is really weird.

[/quote]

[/quote]la Côte Bleue?

[/quote]

No, La Nymph - the Cote Bleue has always seemed a bit pricey.

3°c outside in a sheltered spot, hasnt risen above that for a few weeks, well before the snow came.

I am working inside but in an unheated and uninsulated building which is at the same temperature, when things warm up the thermal mass means it takes a week or so to catch up, if its sunny and say 4 or 5 degrees I have to open all the doors and windows to let the heat in [:-))]

It feels like I have been wearing thermals for 6 months now and probably isnt far off the mark. I am quite pleased though as despite working in minus temperatures most days I have only resorted to taking the chill off with my space heater for 30 minutes on 2 consecutive days when I was under the weather.

The worts thing is a winter trip to the UK, I arrive and have to sleep in a bed below freezing point and have the same when I return to France.

[quote user="Chancer"]

3°c outside in a sheltered spot, hasnt risen above that for a few weeks, well before the snow came.

I am working inside but in an unheated and uninsulated building which is at the same temperature, when things warm up the thermal mass means it takes a week or so to catch up, if its sunny and say 4 or 5 degrees I have to open all the doors and windows to let the heat in [:-))]

It feels like I have been wearing thermals for 6 months now and probably isnt far off the mark. I am quite pleased though as despite working in minus temperatures most days I have only resorted to taking the chill off with my space heater for 30 minutes on 2 consecutive days when I was under the weather.

The worts thing is a winter trip to the UK, I arrive and have to sleep in a bed below freezing point and have the same when I return to France.

[/quote]

Perhaps if you washed the thermals, they must be pretty rank after all these months!

Agree with Cendrillon  :      We have electric blankets to take the chill out of beds after the winter lay up  .... We try to leave the mattresses outside in the sun leaning against the wall and let the warm air take the cold out of them if we get the chance as well . 

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"The worts thing is a winter trip to the UK, I arrive and have to

sleep in a bed below freezing point and have the same when I return to

France."

Invest in an electric blanket and hot water bottles............................... definitely recommended.

[/quote]

I have said that to Chancer a few times on here too. I reckon those options or a hot lady to get keep him warm in bed, although in the long run, maybe a few hot water bottles or a cheap electric blanket in England would be the cheaper but maybe a less fun option.