T1 T2 french immo

Don't you just love the French way of making things so difficult and incomprehensible.

CV instead of CC - in France it even means different things in upper or lower case [:'(]

CV and cv

In Italian (Cavalli), Spanish (Caballos de vapor), and Portuguese (Cavalo-vapor), CV is the equivalent to the German, PS. It is also used as the French term for the Pferdestärke, but in French, this should be written in lowercase letters as cv.

In addition, the capital form CV is used in Italy and France as a unit for tax horsepower, short for, respectively, cavalli vapore and chevaux vapeur (steam horses). CV is a non-linear rating of a motor vehicle for tax purposes. The CV rating, or fiscal power, is , where P is the maximum power in kilowatts and U is the amount of CO2 emitted in grams per kilometre. The term for CO2

measurements has only been included in the definition since 1998, so

older ratings in CV are not directly comparable. The fiscal power has

found its way into naming of automobile models, such as the popular Citroën deux-chevaux. The cheval-vapeur (ch) unit should not be confused with the French cheval fiscal (CV).

In the 19th century, the French had their own unit, which they used instead of the CV or horsepower. It was called the poncelet and was abbreviated p.

and of course, as under discussion, F this or T that, I mean, apart from wrecks just about every house has a bathroom, toilet and kitchen doesn't it !

.......I mean, apart from wrecks just about every house has a bathroom, toilet and kitchen doesn't it ........

Well not exactly. Some houses still have one large living area with a sink in the corner and a cooking place next to it. Toilets unless recently added are still found outside

That's why you buy these houses for next to nothing and do-them-up nicely.

Look, no need to mock the afflicted.  Just because I've been house-hunting and you lot understand full well the hell that can be, you are all choosing to talk about these things in such a light-hearted manner!

If only estate agents wouldn't put "ready to move into" when they mean "dump", I wouldn't have wasted so much time and petrol driving all round this great big hexagonal shaped piece of land that they call France in the hope of ending up with just the one teensy-weensy house (OK then, wreck) that I might conceivably want to live in.[:@]

I know several people that live in houses that dont yet have an inside toilet, without exception they are fiercely houseproud people and no way could their properties be described as wrecks.

That said mine had an outside toilet, no chasse d'eau and could only be described as a wreck and uninhabitable yet through circumstance I ended up living in it from day one. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Look, no need to mock the afflicted.  Just because I've been house-hunting and you lot understand full well the hell that can be, you are all choosing to talk about these things in such a light-hearted manner!

If only estate agents wouldn't put "ready to move into" when they mean "dump", I wouldn't have wasted so much time and petrol driving all round this great big hexagonal shaped piece of land that they call France in the hope of ending up with just the one teensy-weensy house (OK then, wreck) that I might conceivably want to live in.[:@]

[/quote]Clearly, Sweets, you are being over ambitious in your search.  It is quite unreasonable to expect an inside loo and a roof without a hole in it on your budget.[;-)]

Some of the loos on offer are in such a state, Coops, that I would much prefer a hole dug under a tree.

And I suppose that a holes in the roof have their uses when you need a bit of daylighting and windows are non existent in both upstairs rooms and those described as "extra accommodation" when what is meant are poky unaired rooms located in the sous-sol [:(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

"Needs decorating" was another when we were looking which translates to demolish and rebuild. We were quite amazed at some of the decorating we saw as well. I remember one house when we got to the bedroom it said 'walk in wardrobe', well I couldn't see it. The hole room had been wallpapered with reject Lara Ashley small, brown and yellow, floral wallpaper, must of been a job lot. They had wallpapered everything, the door as well. It looked like they had done the lot then cut out the door and window afterwards. The agent walked across and then seemed to move part of the wall sideways which was in fact the entrance to the wardrobe. Another was 'needs the kitchen replaced' when what it ment was there wasn't one. If you didn't laugh you would have cried.

Q, didn't you visit any houses where the ceilings were wall-papered as well?  I thought they were great fun and reminded me of when I had measles as a child.

Eric, I didn't mention why I wanted to move...........and it's not the Charente per se, it's just my bit of it and I mean just around my house and not all of departement 17, LOL!

Woolybanana could describe Chateau Sweet in some detail so it's not chez moi either.  Why does anybody want to move?  Perhaps they just get bored........

I was the same when I was working.  After a year or two, I'd get bored with the work or my colleagues and I'd go get another job.

I reckon I'd be better off getting a nice camping-car and just move around all the lovely areas of France.

I can thrump anyone on their cr*p French internal decorating. Once visited the house of a Uni friend of my wife, who is now head of a Prefecture.                                                                                                                                                                                    Living room. They'd Artexed the ceiling, they'd Artexed the walls, they'd Artexed the door, then painted it in a fetching shade of dysentry brown. The curtains were brown, the carpet was brown, the furniture was brown. Dining room. Pink crepi, same brown carpet.

Even Stevie Wonder would have felt sick.

I must admit, French people in general are very much "old fashioned” with the deco in their house and they tend to follow trends (a bit like the dreaded avocado coloured suite of years gone in the UK). The problem being that most French people stick to their deco for years and years. I have found Brits to be much more active on the subject of redecorating their houses.

My own father was very keen on sticking light weight carpets to the walls and doors….. …….and 10 years after his death, the same carpet can still be found on some doors. We must all have neighbours still with rooms entirely covered in varnished “Lambris”.

This is probably why the DIY market has developed so much more in the UK than in France. All the well known stores (Casto, Leroix Merlin, Brico-machin etc) stock what I see as “outdated” furniture and equipment.

[quote user="velcorin"]I can thrump anyone on their cr*p French internal decorating. Once visited the house of a Uni friend of my wife, who is now head of a Prefecture.                                                                                                                                                                                    Living room. They'd Artexed the ceiling, they'd Artexed the walls, they'd Artexed the door, then painted it in a fetching shade of dysentry brown. The curtains were brown, the carpet was brown, the furniture was brown. Dining room. Pink crepi, same brown carpet.

Even Stevie Wonder would have felt sick.[/quote]

Aha! So you must've visited our apartment during the time of its former owners!

Regards

Pickles

In many ways, I admire the way the (usually) older French people stick to what they have and don't chop and change with every fashion trend.

Certainly, I used to be appalled at how many people I knew back in the UK who were forever having a new kitchen, a new 3-piece suite, a new bathroom, decking in the garden and so on and so forth.

They spend a ridiculous amount of money changing carpets, curtains, etc.  In some of the richer suburbs of London, you could see skipfuls of discarded kitchen units and other bits of furniture that are perfectly serviceable.

No care at all for whatever debts they might be running up and certainly little thought for the planet.

[quote user="Chancer"]Dont forget the F1's F2's etc and the T1 bis's just to add to the confusion, i still ant get my head around it all, Claire once gave a good explanation, I should have saved it.[/quote]

Tut, tut, Chancer you must pay attention in Modern English lessons, "have" has been replaced by "of".

John

Just had an email from an immo saying "the property feels bigger than it actually is"[blink]

Can anyone understand what this means?

As far as I'm concerned, a property can either physically contain enough furniture and paraphernalia for 2 grown-ups and a dog or it can't.

Feeling bigger isn't going to make it possible to get in all the meubles, is it?