Poor old Croydon

YCCMB

According to BBC London news,, the French Rugby team are based outside Croydon at the moment, prompting much negative press for the town, as their accompanying press contingent are less than impressed, finding it "dull".

Has nobody told them that a short train ride would get them to South Ken, and then they could be conned into believing they'd never even crossed the channel?

They are staying at the Selsdon Park Hotel, the usual venue for one of the FA cup teams.

Selsdon Dull, how very dare they! I lived in Selsdon from 1969 to 1985 and I can tell you it was a lot duller then, a real village where busses stopped running at night so it was 3 mile walk from Croydon to home.  We livened things up a bit during our teenage years and also used to caddy on the hotel golf course whilst having fun in the staff quarters [:-))]

Now that is bloody lively compared to most french towns and villages and they have the Weatherspoons pub just a short walk at the top of the traffic lights. I am sure some of my old flames would go round and liven their dull lives up!

Croydon was a regular haunt of mine in the late 60's.

Does W E Wilson in George Street still exist? It was a sort of bakers cum deli, with a cafe & a restaurant upstairs.

They used to roast and pack their own imported coffee beans around the back Lovely aroma. I had a Saturday job blending the tea and then packing it in to quarter pound brown paper bags. If you put the m/c on to auto, it would spit out a dollop every 5 secs or so. You had to be quick, or else there was tea everywhere!

May the French continue to suffer difficulties.

I can remember my Granny saying, "Poor old Croydon, you wouldn't recognise it now". This would have been in about 1960, I often wonder what she would think now.

From my childhood in the fifties - the toyshop on George Street, tea and cakes accompanied by a string quartet in Kennards, followed by a pony ride in the arcade if you were very well-behaved, kippers from Surrey Street market for Saturday tea.

My grandmother and mother grew up there and were bombed out of their house in one of the first air raids of 1940.

Have only been to the Selsdon Park once, but I wouldn't have thought there was much to complain about.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]There......you.....go....again....

...thinking you can debate with me.[/quote]

I think you should rephrase that alittlebuttfrench? It was you that started it again me-thinks!

As for debate, I for one don't do sarcasm and bullying with words.

I went to a concert at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon a few years ago.

Three Liverpool groups.

The 'Big Three', 'Gerry & the Pacemakers' and a then little known--ish band called 'The Beatles'.

Actually, when I say "a few years ago", it might just have been a bit longer than that.

Who was the 3rd group?

Sadly Croydon has changed so much, especially the traffic flow. Now you would arrive an upright member of society and leave with a parking ticket or a through the post fine for driving down a street you should have! [6] I did this last time I drove down George Street, already confused by the whole thing and trying to assimilate 10 lines of information in under 0.5 of a second and thought I was safe following 8 other cars but NO.

I suggested to Croydon council the whole board could be replaced by a simpler message "NO CARS ALLOWED"  That of course won't raise any revenue [:@][6]

So that has left Croydon as a dirty unwelcoming place with fines a go go and the once great Fairfield Halls as a shadow of it's former self, Un decorated in how many years miserable staff and a general air of couldn't care. As long as the show you are seeing is good hopefully you won't notice but with audience levels way down I bet it will be another block of flats in a year or so.

Still they are going to build a shiny new Westfield shopping centre in 5 years time.