Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NormanH"]Jealous? Not me [:'(]
But then to be really jealous you need to be in something approaching the same league, so no I'm not...
[/quote]

Huh???  What are you talking about, Norman?

Am I being obtuse?  Are you being deliberately at a tangent?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not my usual style but this is exceptional vocal virtuosity and great performance.

First the standard Cole Porter song then the new version

La version 'standard'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnRmRi-kpQ
Love for sale
appetizing young love for sale
love thats fresh and still unspoiled
love thats only slightly soiled
love for sale

who will buy
who would like to sample my supply
who's prepared to pay the price
for a trip to paradise
love for sale

let the poets pipe of love
in their childish ways
I know every type of love
better far than they
if you want the thrill of love
I have been through the mill of love
old love
new love
every love but true love

love for sale
appetizing young love for sale
if you want to buy my wares follow me and clime the stairs
love for sale

Version Dee dee Bridgwater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_KLCZG0bro&html5=1

Very entertaining Norman [:D] But I felt a bit sorry for the young man having to stretch and swing about between the piano and the keyboard, like a gymnast.

What strikes me is the quality of the lyrics, they were so poetic in those days. Irving Berlin's and Ira Gershwin's too.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Patf"]Very entertaining Norman [:D] But I felt a bit sorry for the young man having to stretch and swing about between the piano and the keyboard, like a gymnast.

What strikes me is the quality of the lyrics, they were so poetic in those days. Irving Berlin's and Ira Gershwin's too.

[/quote]

Nothing to do with your message, Pat, for which apologies.  Just has to quote somebody before I can reply.

Anyway, Norman et al,  there was just the most delightful programme on BBC TV 4 that has just finished.  Presented by Suzy Klein who I absolutely adore.

I have had a very challenging day which I won't go into now but it was truly NOT nice.  But, no surprise, what was it that Shakespeare said about music being soothing and so I was very soothed and very comforted.

But enough of me and my difficult day.  Just watch the programme; I promise that you will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="sweet 17"]

Are you catching the BBC Young Musicians?

I swear standards are going up all the time.

[/quote]

Sorry about quoting myself[:-))]  No other way to be able to write a post.

This evening just finished BBC 2 TV, a very enjoyable programme about Handel's Messiah.  For me it was a perfect end to a beautiful day; one of those days where nothing out of the way happened but you felt somehow uplifted and glad to be alive [:D]   

[quote user="NormanH"]

Have you ever watched this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LsZpitl-cI&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs&html5=1

[/quote]

Thank you; that is just so  magnifique with the signing I don't have the words to describe what I feel.

Lacking the time, I haven't as yet heard it all but be assured that that will be listened to many times over.

[quote user="sweet 17"][qm

Lacking the time, I haven't as yet heard it all but be assured that that will be listened to many times over.

[/quote]

Last night, a very entertaining prog on BBC TV 4 with Villazon talking about Don Giovanni and visiting Praque for a taste of the very first staging of the opera.

Villazon was his usual exuberant self (I do like him and have a couple of DVDs though he is far from being my favourite).  They showed a bit of a production with a period orchestra and it was interesting even though I didn't rate the production too highly.  I do think Villazon is a wonderful communicator and I love his enthusiasm.

BUT, tonight, same channel, a most thrilling production, certainly the best I have ever heard.  Stage sets, lighting, costumes superb, as you would expect.  It was the SINGING...............utterly beautiful, compelling, extraordinary.............what can I say except WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:  er....perhaps the reviews were not great.  However, I loved the singing (apart from that of the woman singing Anna's role) but then I am no opera buff, merely someone who just love everything surrounding opera.  I also agree that the ending could have been left unshortened but I don't really mind not having the descent into hell.....too gruesome!   

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="NormanH"]Thank you for that...I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was for me too just what was needed..

[/quote]

Are you catching the BBC Young Musicians?

I swear standards are going up all the time.

[/quote]

Norman, you might like to hear this week's woodwind section.  No, NOT the 2 saxophones but the girl who won playing the recorder; quite enchanting.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I watched this week's woodwind section. They were all brilliant and hard to choose between them. I rather thought the Chinese boy who played last would win but no it was the girl with the recorder.

[/quote]

Yes, I thought it would be the Chinese boy as he was technically excellent.  However, the winner had that je ne sais quoi and I found her totally mesmerising.

Also, as I don't rate the saxophone, I'd eliminated the two saxophonists in my own mind!

• 2 weeks later...
Pat, I am sitting tight until Norman makes your link clickable[:D]

I am exhausted, visitors, etc.  I do wish people would only come if they could drive themselves around.  Anyway, tonight, at dinner, we had some Offenbach, visitors with little musical knowledge, so one has to adjust, non?

Having said that I do love many of Offenbach's lovely, lyrical tunes.  Do you know "la Pericole"?  Lovely on stage though, when we saw it, we had very little French and there WAS a lot of dialogue[:'(]

I like "la belle Hélène" and play it on the piano as it's really easy which even I could manage (at least the arrangement for children learning the piano)!