Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to tell you, Norman, but that was just about at the stage when OH said that he had some problems with the selection of the jury![:-))]

He wondered why the glamorous judge (German?) who was some big shot with some opera company was there?!

Still, in the end, they chose someone who wasn't, in their own words, exactly "contractable".

The English tenor did deserve his prize but, where is the German soprano (?) who we thought was very good and deserved to be in the final?

Anyway, to coin a phrase, "it isn't over until the fat lady wins"!

No problems with the winner, her voice, technique, etc were "unfaultable".

What we did think remarkable was that OH's son and his daughter-in-law, both members of the ECO, picked the right winner BEFORE the winner was announced.

Still, all things considered, it was a wonderful competition and some of the singers were beyond sublime.

Would welcome further thoughts you might have. 

Well I would have liked to see the

Portugese soprano Susana Gaspar and the Russian baritone Alexey

Bogdanchikov in the last 5 finalists, both of whom seemed to have

lovely voices and gave intelligently musical interpretations

I really didn't understand how the

Croatian chap who butchered Figaro and the Messiah got through, but

perhaps he has an animal magnetism that comes over live and masks the

roughness of his voice.

Many people (mainly women) seemed to

have been impressed but I was simply left cold by the brute

insensitivity of his singing.

Sadly the “song” recital seems to

be more and more dramatic and semi-operatic, so it was no surprise

that the large American lady won.

There was almost no first-class lieder

in the programmes: no Schumann, little Schubert and Brahms but lots

of big 'emotional' songs by people such as Rachmaninov

It showed how difficult it is to sing

in French. I don't think that a single one of them who sang a French

test really convinced, and in the case of the Ukranian girl I felt

she was badly let down by the Gounod, where she her articulation made

the words incomprehensible.

There was a world of difference between

the two orchestras and conductors too.

The Welshman gave a jobbing performance

going along with the singers in a genial sort of way, whereas Jun

Märkl was enormously impressive contributing greatly to the

interpretations.

Similarly what a world of difference

between the generous and intelligent comments of Bernada Fink and

menopausal bitchiness of Karita Mattila who seemed incapable of being

in the slightest bit gracious.

Oh, Norman, what perceptive comments[:)]

I, too, would have loved to have seen the Portuguese soprano in the final.

As for the Croat, his Figaro was indeed not enjoyable.

Spot on about lieder.  I was hoping someone would sing some Berlioz, some of the nuits d'été songs which would have given them a wonderful opportunity to show off their range.

And yes, I did feel the people having Markl were much luckier and certainly very sensitive playing from the National Orchestra of Wales.

Anyway, Proms time now!!!

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention Olena Tokar, singing Korngold's "Gluck das mir verblieb"..............(sigh)

And I am always a sucker for "Rusalka" and she sang that beautifully too.

PS:  here's the divine Renee Fleming: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gl%C3%BCck%20das%20mir%20verblieb&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQtwIwAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8GrC0Im7chI&ei=H5nQUfX0OfL24QS5mYC4BQ&usg=AFQjCNFIg-jEFLgaKxbakxibaFjQD2Smxw

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="NormanH"]I could have done without La Vie en Rose  ..[:(]
[/quote]

Yes, I know.......[:D][:D]

OTOH, who is that chap who sang "les feuilles mortes" and hit each note right in the middle? I could listen to him lots more.

Then, there's old Alagna absolutely murdering the marseillaise......[:'(]

• 2 weeks later...

The ordi doesn't like the heat much and refuses to play continuously.

But still it brings back memories of concerts from the Cadogan Hall, including one very special violin debut many years ago.  Now I have cancelled a planned fortnight in London, I need to have all the compensation I can manage, so thank you for the link.

Norman, are you about?

Less than an hour (3 pm UK time) a concert from Cardogan Hall, live on Radio 3 or on bbc.co.uk/proms.  With Sarah Connolly & the Britten Sinfonia.

I thought perhaps Fantasia concertante on a Theme of Corelli or Phaedra might appeal?

Edit:  shamefaced apology [:$]  I meant FOUR pm French time of course!  NOT very good to be getting increasingly muddle-y in the head.  I think I said elsewhere that I'd been here 8 years when I meant 6.

Not only do I confuse days of the week, but often months and even YEARS.  It makes me very cross and I hope I can find a way of overcoming this stupid feebleness.

We really enjoyed the concert and thought the playing was superbe, as was Sarah Conolly.

For me, the programme was a bit unusual and definitely out of my comfort zone in parts though OH, being more familiar with the music, had a very good experience.

Hoping you were listening to last night's Prom, the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

I thought they were brilliant, especially the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, and the encore was also brilliaant.

Did you catch the name of the encore? I didn't recognise it at all, but not surprising as my knowledge of more modern music is almost nil.

Yes, yes, my dears, house is filled with music day and night.  Radio, TV, opera live from Orange, and I have even found someone to talk music to on my weekly walks!  Mais oui, he is a wonderful and joyful find and we shall be meeting each other's "other halves" soon.

Uchida, yes, I met her years ago in London and you are right, she is wonderful!

In the meantime, I heard a programme on French radio with Tito Gobbi's daughter being interviewed.  So, here is a clip of TG that I think you'd enjoy:

http://www.medici.tv/#!/tito-gobbi-maria-callas-tosca

Happy Listening![:D]

• 4 weeks later...
Really enjoyed last night's performance. My only small criticism was that the promenaders at then end did not sing the correct lyrics to "Auld Lang Syne". The last lines of the chorus should be "For Auld lang syne" and not "For sake of auld land syne". Still a minor quibble and a very enjoyable evening.

See this link for more information