Possible new section?

PossumGirl

James, do you think it would be possible for us to have a section for those coming to France from non-EU states?  The regulations and information for us is often quite different than it is for those coming from within the Union.  I think it would be helpful for newbies from other places to have a specific place where they could hopefully find answers to their questions.

Thanks.

PG

That, PG, is an excellent idea and I'm sure that James will take it up. It's so easy for the majority of us to think that it's all about the UK and the EU and never consider that people come to live in France from outside the EU and the various complications that must present.

So, that's seconded.[:D]

Chris

[quote user="Quillan"]I too think it's a good idea. If you could then break it down further what sort of topics would you suggest, something like one for health, another for residency permits, is there anything else thats dramatically different?[/quote]

DRIVER'S LICENSES!!!!  That's a very complicated one, especially if you come from the U.S., where some States can simply exchange and others can't.  I, unfortunately, had a license from one of the latter and had to take the Code and the practical.  If I had had more time, I would have exchanged my California license for a license from one of those other places.

Also, my guess is that bringing pets might be different for different places.

There are different tax treaties (in the U.S., we must ALWAYS fill out our American Income Tax forms every year, no matter where we live and to whom else we pay taxes, but there isn't double taxation).

Importing a car.

I'm sure there are other things, but I can't think of them off hand.

I don't know that there would have to be separate sections, though, just a place where those types of things could be addressed.

PG

Great idea.

And working.  If you arrive on a Long Stay Visa (non EU), if you are not arriving with the aid of a job being offered, you cannot work for five years (with certain exceptions, but not many).  That is what happened to me.  So, the coming over and trying to get a job subject would be helpful.

[quote user="PossumGirl"]
I don't know that there would have to be separate sections, though, just a place where those types of things could be addressed.
[/quote]

I agree with the general suggestion, and with what PG says above. A separate section would be welcoming to non - Brit posters with specific questions, but a lot of initially empty sub-sections wouldn't be.