Using quotation facility

tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

I can't make this facility work for me- I have tried, and read the instruction, but still il ne marche pas!

Can some 'techie' please help ?

Many thanks

Tegwini

[/quote]

You need to use the quote rather than the reply button.  You then type your reply either before or after the block of text that is enclosed in the quote opening and closing square brackets.

EDIT, using the quote function is tricky if you are trying to quote someone whose username contains punctuation or other non alpha-numeric symbols, you will need to manually delete the symbol out of their name (in the first square bracket section) before you are able to reply.

[quote user="Callie"]I have a Macintosh and I find that the "quote" button doesn't work with Safari, and neither do the smileys. But if I use Firefox or Camino there is no problem.[/quote]

Its a problem with the site Callie, not the browser.............

Also relevant, if you try to quote someone who has commas or similar stuff in their forum name it won't work until you remove them.

Its funny that Safari works perfectly on every other site I've ever used then...................

Tis funny how all those who knock the Mac haven't actually got one, don't you think...........

We have both and I know which one gets the most use in this household.

Perhaps its the constant debug and security fixes that Bill keeps churning out that you'd miss............[:)]

Get yourself a 24" iMac for Xmas, you know you want too.

[:P][:D]

Its funny that Safari works perfectly on every other site I've ever used then...........that would be about 1% of what's out there, at a generous estimate [:D]

Tis funny how all those who knock the Mac haven't actually got one, don't you think...........if it's devotees and converts were not quite so evangelical......[:D]

We have both and I know which one gets the most use in this household...............having paid so much I'd want to get value for money..........[:D]

Perhaps its the constant debug and security fixes that Bill keeps churning out that you'd miss............MAC OS is only 'apparently' more robust and secure because 97% of people don't use it and as a result it is less targetted. That doesn't necessarily make it intrinsically better or worse than any other...........[:D]

Get yourself a 24" iMac for Xmas, you know you want too.......no thank you and no I don't, better the devil you know.............[:D]

All offered in the spirit of lively conversation [;-)]

[quote user="Bugsy"]

Perhaps its the constant debug and security fixes that Bill keeps churning out that you'd miss............[:)]

[/quote]

Nah, I wouldn't miss that, you're now getting similar security fixes and anti-virus for Macs too.

Would that be because a Mac is just the same under the hood as a PC now (same Intel chipset) and Mac OS is getting very close to Windoze? [geek]

Thanks Cat - had another go, but still it didn't work - should I also highlight it?   In what order?

Chaps - you're all way above me- we have windows and linex, but I wouldn't know if that makes a difference.  I also don't know how to do links with HERE - in fact,   not long ago had never seen such & didn't realise what that was,  & got bounced because it seemed I had not acknowledged a post with information.  I honestly didn't understand it !

Merci bien

Tegwini

Mistletoe 2

Right click then Copy the article you want to post

Type the word HERE or whatever word you wish to use.

Highlight it by click and drag.  (Left click to the left of the word then move over the word with button held down, then release and the word should be highlighted)

Click on the Ball & Chain logo

Press delete to clear the box that appears then Paste what you have previously copied

Press OK and it should then open when someone clicks on the word you have highlighted.

Practice it

Good luck

Gary.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Right click then Copy the article you want to post[/quote]Don't mean to be pernickety Bugsy but for the avoidance of any confusion may I be permitted to edit this to, 'right click and copy the URL (Uniform Resource Locator) of the article' which is the text you see in the address bar of your browser, e.g. this page is:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1497131/ShowPost.aspx

[;-)]

[quote user="tegwini"]

Thanks Cat - had another go, but still it didn't work - should I also highlight it?   In what order?

[/quote]

You don't need to highlight it.

How exactly does it go wrong?  Are you unable to post the message?  Do you get an error message about non-matching quotes? 

A simple experiment, click Reply to this message.

Type in   Google  then highlight it

Next click on the [img]http://www.completefrance.com/cs/freetextbox3/images/createlink.gif[/img] symbol and in the window which pops up type in

http://www.google.co.uk  then OK.

Now go to Preview and you should see Google highlighted and if you click on it it will take you to, well,  Google [:D]

[quote user="tegwini"]

[/quote]

tegwini

Can you confirm that you are clicking on the QUOTE button INSTEAD of the REPLY button? (On the post that you wish to quote)

You can then type in the text box just the same as when using the reply button.

After you hit the POST button, do you get a coloured error message?

Just trying to understand your problem[:)]

Merci bien all

Apologies for the delay - somehow I managed to log myself off the forum (don't usually bother) and couldn't get on again until today.

Really kind of you all to help-  I have had another go and it didn't work !!!   Maricopa,   I did click on the quote button too - some came up + some junky stuff, and an error message in colour - I think ?   I had to delete and change it,  but it is not as it's meant to look!

Clearly it's going to be a case of trying again...

Regards

Tegwini